Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 20, 2011, 05:26 AM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
Up to 2% I can understand, but that's quite interesting! (especially the 10% gap!)
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2011, 09:16 AM
Hey Ya'll!! Watch THIS!!
Nashville TN.
Joined Mar 2006
2,555 Posts
When I was playing around with small Haoye 7 blade fans, I had one with about 4 mm clearance that I closed up with a plywood liner.
Got it down to about 1 mm.
The only place I noticed a big difference was at lower rpms. It felt much stronger faster. But high rpms seemed the same.
PAX
Michael Paxton is offline Find More Posts by Michael Paxton
Old Oct 20, 2011, 09:20 AM
Hey Ya'll!! Watch THIS!!
Nashville TN.
Joined Mar 2006
2,555 Posts
OK. Let me know when you're ready for me to order this. I'll ask you to make it plug and play if you can. (SM-80-45 with 700-60-935 and Ice 80HV. Unless you suggest a different controller)
I trust your skills at this much more than my own.
I can Pay Pal or CC what ever you like best.
PAX

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumax View Post
Sorry for not being around guys, I've been pretty ill since returning from China (got a mystery bug even the doctors can't diagnose), and busy renovating a house out in the country (dumb idea to do it ourselves.......).

Michael, I think the 935kV would work well, probably around 2.8-3kW peak on 12S 2500's, but sensible current levels. I'm probably going to try something like that as well.

Ghettotige, I can do a plug and play setup for you for sure. I do have a dealer in UK, Red Leader Composites.

To all you guys patiently waiting for fans, I finally have motors, caught HET by surprise as they didn't have enough 1738kV motors in stock and had to rush out and wind up a bunch more for me. Fans will begin to ship in a few days now as I begin to assemble and test run them.

BTW, I did an interesting test for the Mythbusters crew. I got two SM80-45 rotors, one with 0.5mm tip clearance, one with 1.5mm tip clearance. Same motor etc, 10 minutes apart, exactly the same thrust vs power. The only difference was the 0.5mm tip clearance one was noticeably louder.

Stu.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 04:55 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,461 Posts
Wemotec's white papers stated years ago that due to turbulence around the blade tips, blade gap up to 1.5mm on a 90mm fan would make no difference to the performance.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Oct 21, 2011, 06:46 PM
Hey Ya'll!! Watch THIS!!
Nashville TN.
Joined Mar 2006
2,555 Posts
Plane is almost to point of waiting for power system!
Got nose doors done today. (had to use servo .....retracts aren't strong enough to close the door.)
Just need to sand down wing pockets and then it's all on you Stu!
Old Nov 14, 2011, 09:15 PM
United States, IL, Milan
Joined Dec 2009
2 Posts
Newbie here, been lurking a long time. A little late comng to the party on this thread, please forgive. Been flying my "32" with a SM 80 and the HET 700 60 1738 on 6s 5000's for a while and while it's fast I'm wanting to Kick It Up A Notch and try the 7s. I have a few 3 & 4s 4000mah packs laying around that I can try. My question is can the 1738 kv motor take the added juice in the SM 80 or do I need the next lower KV? The specs on page 1 suggest it (unless I'm reading it wrong) but better to ask instead of crash. TIA for your advice!

Bill W. Milan IL USA!!
triumphtwins is offline Find More Posts by triumphtwins
Old Nov 15, 2011, 10:54 AM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Sep 2007
1,763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphtwins View Post
Newbie here, been lurking a long time. A little late comng to the party on this thread, please forgive. Been flying my "32" with a SM 80 and the HET 700 60 1738 on 6s 5000's for a while and while it's fast I'm wanting to Kick It Up A Notch and try the 7s. I have a few 3 & 4s 4000mah packs laying around that I can try. My question is can the 1738 kv motor take the added juice in the SM 80 or do I need the next lower KV? The specs on page 1 suggest it (unless I'm reading it wrong) but better to ask instead of crash. TIA for your advice!

Bill W. Milan IL USA!!
It can as long as you have the one with the built in heatsink.
tulz43 is offline Find More Posts by tulz43
Old Nov 15, 2011, 12:06 PM
United States, IL, Milan
Joined Dec 2009
2 Posts
Yep, that's the one I have. I was lucky enough to score one from USA RC Jets before they sold out. Nice fan and almost to quiet for me to get a good Doppler reading on. Gotta love that sound though...

Bill W. Milan, IL USA!!
triumphtwins is offline Find More Posts by triumphtwins
Old Nov 15, 2011, 02:46 PM
The blade numbers go up to 11
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2002
4,380 Posts
On 7S you should get about 2.8-3kW. This is one of the earlier spec rotors, some of which had some issues due to excessive blade stretching (3 out of about 100). Just to be safe, if you run it on 7S, please run it up to full power gradually, then hold it at full for a couple of seconds, then stop it. Ideally, take the fan out and check the rotor hasn't been rubbing inside the shroud. If it has, get some 80 grit sandpaper folded onto itself in between the rotor tips and the shroud and rotate the rotor slowly by hand to increase the tip clearance slightly so that it doesn't scuff anymore. My own Habu is running one of these rotors, so it's no problem, just have to make sure there's no blade scuffing.

I'm currently replacing rotors for everyone who has one from this batch, but it requires you to send me the old one (so I know it's out of circulation, and because the alum parts cost me nearly $60, imagine that times 100......) and I'll rebuild it with new blades. I'm more than happy to do that for you if you like, I'll cover your shipping costs (as long as you don't send it via expensive couriers) so you're not out of pocket, but you will be without it for a few weeks.

Stu.
stumax is offline Find More Posts by stumax
Old Nov 15, 2011, 05:25 PM
Dublin Ireland
Joined Aug 2005
818 Posts
hi there
Could some post the setting i should use on one of these with the 6s motor and a CC 100.
Thanks
Steve
STEVEAIR2 is offline Find More Posts by STEVEAIR2
Old Nov 15, 2011, 09:18 PM
Hey Ya'll!! Watch THIS!!
Nashville TN.
Joined Mar 2006
2,555 Posts
Hey Stu! You working on my fan set up?
Old Nov 16, 2011, 10:01 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
1,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Paxton View Post
Hey Stu! You working on my fan set up?
+1

How about mine Stu? haven't heard from you in a while and yes I'm being patient

S
smaze17 is offline Find More Posts by smaze17
Old Nov 21, 2011, 10:34 AM
Nampa, ID
Joined Oct 2009
668 Posts
Anyone running this on 8S yet? What kind of performance are you seeing?
nippaero is offline Find More Posts by nippaero
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My latest radio lineup
Old Nov 21, 2011, 10:53 AM
Keith Thomas
United States, NM, Portales
Joined Feb 2010
993 Posts
I put mine up yesterday. It was amazing. At 4000' of altitude it had dang near unlimited vertical. 500' loop, no problem.

I originally had a stock Eflite set up in it, so the difference is quite a bit. I only put one flight on it yesterday and I fly by myself, so I'm not sure what the speed is but trust me, it's noticeable.

I was off the ground in 100' with a high AOA and she just keep climbing.

I'm getting over 3kw at 95 amps. This thing is so quite it just amazed me. When I got home I did not have ringing in my ears!!!
keithtsr is offline Find More Posts by keithtsr
Old Nov 21, 2011, 11:08 AM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,311 Posts
I'll confirm what keithsr stated. At E-Jets I flew the 8S setup and was quite stunned with its performance.
Unlimited vertical and so quiet you could not even hear it with other models.
I used the stock tail pipe.
Anmazing simply amazing performance.

keithsr what batteries are you using?
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini