HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 07, 2006, 10:17 PM
United States, IN, Evansville
Joined May 2001
1,765 Posts
Discussion
Throttle curve for learning to fly

I am getting a T-rex and G3 Simulator. I read an article by Nigel Fraser Ker on setting up the T-rex. It talks about the throttle and pitch curves and for a beginner only using positive pitch. Is that the way to learn and will G3 be setup that way or will it be setup to have a full pitch range?

What is the setup called when the middle of the throttle is neutral and up and down give + and - pitch. Is that a flight mode?

Thanks,
Kenny
kenny_dilger is offline Find More Posts by kenny_dilger
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 08, 2006, 12:38 AM
That tree again!!!!
Germantown, MD, US
Joined Sep 2004
6,642 Posts
don't have G3 so can't comment on its models.
The mode you are talking about is usually called "idle up" (throttle constant while pitch goes from all neg to all pos.). You can learn to fly with a mode that has all positive pitch. That way if you have to slam the throttle down, the heli won't slam down to the ground.
thanhTran is offline Find More Posts by thanhTran
Old Jun 08, 2006, 01:51 AM
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2006
347 Posts
On g3 the impala trainer would be a good heli to use. I think its only positive pitch, and it has training balls on it.
delamar is offline Find More Posts by delamar
Old Jun 08, 2006, 02:21 AM
Sunday Flier
Sweden
Joined May 2005
1,488 Posts
You want a few degrees of negative pitch, otherwise the helicopter is near impossible to fly in the wind. In real life, anyway :-).
Rickenbacker is offline Find More Posts by Rickenbacker
Old Jun 08, 2006, 02:44 AM
Its all fun
Australia, NSW, Forster
Joined Oct 2004
7,181 Posts
I have G3, and haven't bothered to look for a way to remove negative pitch.

I recommend that from the start, you use G3 the way you will eventually fly the real heli, in idle-up mode. On the simulator, slamming the throttle stick down in a panic will cause a spectacular shower of parts, which will shock you, but won't cost you a penny!

But what it will do, is get your brain to really appreciate the danger of doing it for real. If you set up the G3 controller with the idle up switch the same as your real Tx, you can then start up in normal mode, and once the rotor is spooled up, flick the idle-up switch and fly.

Now, let's move to the real heli. I suggest that you set up mechanical idle-up pitch to be + & - as per Finless's videos, and then adjust your pitch curve to be something like 30-50-50-75-100. The idea is that dropping the stick slightly below middle won't cause a slam, but if you really need to lose altitude without losing control (which can happen with normal, as reducing pitch also reduces throttle), you can bring the stick right down until you have reached a reasonable height.

Another thing to do in G3 is to go for the throttle hold switch before you crash, as this is a very good habit to be in when flying the real one.

I could hover before I got G3, but I am staggered at how much better I fly now that I spend a lot of time on the sim.
Tonystott is offline Find More Posts by Tonystott