SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 21, 2014, 08:21 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jun 2010
1,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBright33 View Post
I have this problem that occurs about half the time when the initial conditions are met. At first I thought it was a dirty pot on the transmitter. Whenever I aim the Gopro down about 30 degrees from the horizon, it stutters. Moving up then down a degree at random times about 5-10 seconds apart. It only happens at certain settings / angles. So I replaced the potentiometer. It didn't help. Even when I turn off the transmitter, it stays at 30 degrees, but stutters about half the time. This is on the ground with no vibration or movement. It's only noticeable in the air when you watch the HD video, which would otherwise be perfect. You can barely feel it when you put your finger on the camera. So now I know it's not a dirty pot. More experimentation is needed. The range that it fails, when the craft is level, is about 10-20 degrees around 30. So 0 works and 50 works, always. It seems worse the closer you get to 30. I've tried keeping the multirotor absolutely still, it doesn't help. I've tried moving it, or flying it. The video stutters the same. So I tried holding it not level. As if it was flying forward. Turns out it's the angle between the camera and craft that is relevant. When I set it level to the horizon with the control, then pretend to fly backwards at a 30 degree angle, the problem is the same. But only when I tilt the craft back 30 degrees. I wish I could show you with my hands or paper so you can visualize it. So it must be the motor???

More experiments are needed. Any help would be appreciated.

What should I try next?
Connecting the ground wire (in addition to the signal wire) between my ex and the gimbal solved the vertical twitching for me. I also re routed the cable a bit further away for the other electronics in the quad. Not sure if that made a difference too.

Another thing I did was reduce tilt motor power to 30. (I think 35 is default)

This made it a little smoother too. Is there any binding in your cables? Ie the one that goes between the sensor and the board? Mine was binding just a bit when new but I flexed it to a better position and now it can tilt full without any resistance from this cable.
Rob2160 is online now Find More Posts by Rob2160
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2014, 07:25 PM
Joined Sep 2014
23 Posts
I meant to hook up the grounds between the receiver and PWM input of course. It appears they are connected. But according to the DMM Not. So I ran a jumper wire. Problem solved? It's hard to tell for certain because the problem is intermittent. The DMM says YES! Will fly a bit, then report back.
SBright33 is offline Find More Posts by SBright33
Old Oct 25, 2014, 10:06 PM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clonedkorl View Post
Dayum, I was really wanting to buy this gimbal but I keep on reading report after report of issues
Well I had quite a bit of trouble and repaired the last one received myself. Got tired of spending money shipping them back. After replacing the bearings it has actually worked better than any other type gimbal I have had. Extended the A/V cable 10" to give it some slack and now that works well also. If you do buy one I would say in this case you really should buy it from a known reputable FPV dealer that will stand behind it just in case.
pug398 is offline Find More Posts by pug398
Old Oct 25, 2014, 10:43 PM
A&P Diddy
Midlothian, Tx
Joined Oct 2008
504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pug398 View Post
Well I had quite a bit of trouble and repaired the last one received myself. Got tired of spending money shipping them back. After replacing the bearings it has actually worked better than any other type gimbal I have had. Extended the A/V cable 10" to give it some slack and now that works well also. If you do buy one I would say in this case you really should buy it from a known reputable FPV dealer that will stand behind it just in case.
I have to buy something and soon. I picked up a gopro 4 black edition for a great deal and I ordered some fpv goggles. I have a Tarot 650 frame that I need a gimbal for and this one basically is a drop in install. I think I will give it a shot but I am still concerned about it.
clonedkorl is offline Find More Posts by clonedkorl
Old Oct 26, 2014, 12:20 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jan 2010
314 Posts
Quote:
I have to buy something and soon. I picked up a gopro 4 black edition for a great deal and I ordered some fpv goggles. I have a Tarot 650 frame that I need a gimbal for and this one basically is a drop in install. I think I will give it a shot but I am still concerned about it.
Once I got the 1.5 firmware installed and it calibrated it has been good. Hobby King has it for $115 or so... cheap..... buy it..... it does work nice.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...ontroller.html
Saleen880549 is offline Find More Posts by Saleen880549
Old Oct 26, 2014, 03:38 PM
RC = FUN
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Joined Aug 2008
3,634 Posts
Does anyone have an extra PC cable that I can buy from them? Or pay to use and then ship back? I need to change the setting so I can adjust angle without it continually moving, but cannot find my cable. Any help is appreciated.

Best,

-Tyler
flyboy321 is offline Find More Posts by flyboy321
Old Oct 26, 2014, 06:23 PM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,666 Posts
Quote:
For where you live I would not buy it from HK but ReadyMadeRC instead. Not a recommendation for them but just something learned from experience. They are $12 higher but I feel confident you would receive a replacement in a timely manner if needed. Just my .02
Old Oct 26, 2014, 07:05 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jan 2010
314 Posts
Quote:
For where you live I would not buy it from HK but ReadyMadeRC instead. Not a recommendation for them but just something learned from experience. They are $12 higher but I feel confident you would receive a replacement in a timely manner if needed. Just my .02
good to know.

Brian
Saleen880549 is offline Find More Posts by Saleen880549
Old Oct 26, 2014, 08:37 PM
A&P Diddy
Midlothian, Tx
Joined Oct 2008
504 Posts
Quote:
I ordered from HK out of the warehouse that is in Arkansas. It is roughly 200 miles from me. They were under $400
clonedkorl is offline Find More Posts by clonedkorl
Old Oct 27, 2014, 09:16 PM
Joined Sep 2014
23 Posts
Works so much better when you connect the Grounds!
SBright33 is offline Find More Posts by SBright33
Old Oct 27, 2014, 10:08 PM
Joined Sep 2013
413 Posts
Quote:
sorry first answer was for another post

On the gimbals I have used 2s is too weak 3s is good and 4s works but have to use reduced motor power settings.
what settings are you using for 4s?
juanej is online now Find More Posts by juanej
Old Oct 28, 2014, 08:44 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jun 2010
1,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBright33 View Post
Works so much better when you connect the Grounds!
+1. Totally agree. Same experience here.
Rob2160 is online now Find More Posts by Rob2160
Old Oct 29, 2014, 08:01 AM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanej View Post
what settings are you using for 4s?
I actually run it on 3s and apply the 3DR settings. When I connected it to 4s to see if any difference it had too much gain. Reduced motor power and it stopped oscillating but I do not actually run mine on 4s so can't give best overall settings.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 08:04 AM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,666 Posts
Quote:
I ordered from HK out of the warehouse that is in Arkansas. It is roughly 200 miles from me. They were under $400
Hopefully you will get a good one
Old Yesterday, 09:41 AM
Still flying
Oslo, Norway
Joined Feb 2009
701 Posts
Tarot GOPRO two-axis gimbal gyroscope ZYX22

Hi. Does anyone know the bets way to make this controller work with another gimbal and gimbal motors as i dont have the gimbal?

heres some pictures of it.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2275329

Jorn
Ramnes is offline Find More Posts by Ramnes