HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:49 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,794 Posts
End of Month 1 - Progress Report

Well, after one month of building things have certainly moved on.

Total entries so far declared - 26. Still room and time for some more folks.

No surprise that those two rapid builders from Mexico and Northern Ireland, Colibriguitars and RFJ, have finished their (?first?) entries, lovely models of course coming from these two talented builders.

Another nine entries show very substantial progress - cpmcgraw, Mixer421, doncrashum, owlsabie, Sky Jiver, cswee, Ian Dale, ECBoehm and Applehoney.

Four more, Colonel Blink, RAF.Bob, PeterH and yours truly have made some progress.

Of the rest, three build logs have been posted but as yet show no progress and seven have yet to start their build logs.

It looks pretty good so far, but I would still like to see a few more entries to get us over the thirty mark and it would also be nice if those latter ten started to show some progress before the northern hemisphere spring brings temptations to divert effort from the workshop to the flying field.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:30 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,316 Posts
hi Guys!! i´m thinking my second entry..... just a second..... Mamselle! could be!
colibriguitars is offline Find More Posts by colibriguitars
Old Feb 01, 2013, 02:44 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by colibriguitars View Post
hi Guys!! i´m thinking my second entry..... just a second..... Mamselle! could be!
Told you he was fast!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:09 AM
Experienced Balsa Mangler
United States, AL, Tillmans Corner
Joined Oct 2012
671 Posts
Sundancer,

I'm not "officially" announcing anything yet, but I've already started drawing out a Mamselle for parts...

Got to finish the Envoy first...
cpmcgraw is offline Find More Posts by cpmcgraw
Old Feb 01, 2013, 03:57 PM
Joined Oct 2012
671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by colibriguitars View Post
Go for it! It's such a pretty little plane. It deserves to be modeled.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:15 PM
Mt Evelyn, Melbourne, OZ
Joined Dec 2008
649 Posts
It's becoming harder to resist diving in straight away with so many interesting designs on the go.
But I must be strong and get some of my non aeromodelling projects done first.
Expect another quite late entry from me.

Had been thinking of a Sharkface but I had another little cutie on my list for some time and last night I discovered proof it qulaifies.

An OZ design by Noel Shennan and published in Australian Model News in 1959.
One of the copies of this design I had looked like it was from Aeromdeller Annual, and found it in the 60/61 edition (rather nice having a full set!)

Baby Dumpling is very simple but to my eyes at least, rather a cutie.
I also like the very sensible inverted T spar and L.E.

Only choice now is what size?
Would be nice to use an OZ engine, but all my Taipans are 1.5 to 2.5 diesels.But they are rather nice diesels so maybe a bigger one.

Decisions, decisions!
Warren B is online now Find More Posts by Warren B
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:19 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmcgraw View Post
Sundancer,

I'm not "officially" announcing anything yet, but I've already started drawing out a Mamselle for parts...

Got to finish the Envoy first...
Hi cp. I'm enjoying your Envoy build, would be great if you manage a Mam'selle as well, it would be interesting to compare it with Colibriguitars and PeterHs versions, I'll wait to hear from you before posting it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:21 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren B View Post
It's becoming harder to resist diving in straight away with so many interesting designs on the go.
But I must be strong and get some of my non aeromodelling projects done first.
Expect another quite late entry from me.

Had been thinking of a Sharkface but I had another little cutie on my list for some time and last night I discovered proof it qulaifies.

An OZ design by Noel Shennan and published in Australian Model News in 1959.
One of the copies of this design I had looked like it was from Aeromdeller Annual, and found it in the 60/61 edition (rather nice having a full set!)

Baby Dumpling is very simple but to my eyes at least, rather a cutie.
I also like the very sensible inverted T spar and L.E.

Only choice now is what size?
Would be nice to use an OZ engine, but all my Taipans are 1.5 to 2.5 diesels.But they are rather nice diesels so maybe a bigger one.

Decisions, decisions!
Yep, I've got that AM Annual too Warren. I look forward to seeing your version of the Bay Dumpling as soon as you can manage to catch up with your non-modelling activities.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:58 PM
Joined Oct 2012
671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
Hi cp. I'm enjoying your Envoy build, would be great if you manage a Mam'selle as well, it would be interesting to compare it with Colibriguitars and PeterHs versions, I'll wait to hear from you before posting it.
I guess you can make it official now. I'm working on the plans, and I'll start a build thread shortly.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:27 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,794 Posts
Excellent cp. Posted in post #1
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Sundancer; Feb 03, 2013 at 03:28 AM.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:29 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,794 Posts
Looks like we have a "contest within a contest" for Vic Smeed's lovely little Mam'selle as Colibriguitars has also started one, that makes three! Anyone else care to take it on?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2013, 06:34 AM
Southampton, UK
Joined May 2007
828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
Looks like we have a "contest within a contest" for Vic Smeed's lovely little Mam'selle as Colibriguitars has also started one, that makes three! Anyone else care to take it on?
I would but I already have 4 - see my blog - all are still flying with the 3 red ones between 25 and 35 years old. the 38" original is free flight, others are 3 channels RC

re the plug in UC's - the big 108" span model has plug ins to facilitate transport.

If anyone contemplates reducing dihedral on any vintage model - my advice is - dont - unless you are planning aerobatics - which will be out of character. reduced dihedral just looks horrible. see the 72" model

it will be interesting to see the differing approaches

hope to start my 80" Debutante soon once I clear the decks of household duties - retirement is unpaid slavery

john
John38 is online now Find More Posts by John38
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:49 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John38 View Post
If anyone contemplates reducing dihedral on any vintage model - my advice is - dont.....reduced dihedral just looks horrible.
Each to their own, but I tend to agree that the dihedral is part & parcel of the character of the models. Personally, I'd rather put up with a little Dutch roll and keep the overall look....
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Feb 03, 2013, 05:30 PM
Joined Aug 2002
42 Posts
I've been watching this thread and the builds with great interest and so I'd like to join in with a build of the Simplex by Dick Stouffer as published in May of 1964 in Aero Moddler. As I'm not a fast builder and am making a late start this simple model shouldn't be a problem to get completed and flown before the end of June.

Mark
edalpoe is offline Find More Posts by edalpoe
Old Feb 03, 2013, 07:31 PM
Granby, CT, USA
Joined Jan 2001
952 Posts
Second entry - - - Keil Kraft Ladybird

This one appeals to me immensely. Lots of shapes, not many straight or parallel lines, round engine, and - - - on the plans - - - r/c conversion modifications (one piece wing, dihedral braces, empennage).

I don't think anyone's mentioned this one yet. Be good company for the Mam'selle.

Other posts hereabouts mention that this model was originally kitted/advertised in 1950-1951. Safely before the cutoff date.
PeterH is offline Find More Posts by PeterH
Last edited by PeterH; Feb 03, 2013 at 07:49 PM. Reason: correction