Old Feb 21, 2015, 11:51 AM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robschonk View Post
Oops, found a better price! $89.99.

https://secure.hobbyzone.com/liquidation/

And try coupon code j15save for another 10% off.
Thats the deal I got too. Total with tax was $96.xx to my door in 3 days.

Its all Andy's fault.
rockbus is offline Find More Posts by rockbus
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2015, 01:06 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,806 Posts
Kate's pimp.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Feb 21, 2015, 09:00 PM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Aug 2011
887 Posts
MAIDEN REPORT: I'm used to my Radian which I've been flying for a few years and am very comfortable with. Flying a non-motorized sailplane = a bit scary and very sweet at the same time! Glad my sailplane expert flying buddy Tony was there to help!

I flew 4 hand launch test flights...went well. Then 4 high-start launch flights. Cold temp, some wind which was variable in direction and intensity, some instability in the air, no lift, big sink! Winds changing direction and bringing in cross winds kept all but the first flight from reaching a good launch altitude. All flights were short, straight up and pretty much straight down.

Launches were good...rudder did a good job of keeping her pretty straight even when the wind changed direction and pushed her around on takeoff. Flights went well, although she porpoised a bit. Got better by the 4th flight. Landings were a breeze...almost a non-event! That's most important to me. I'll work on smoothing out my intervening flying between launch and landing over time.

But they were flights, and they count! And she did great. No crashes and smooth landings. She looks beautiful in the air...and the sunset was a gorgeous backdrop!

This plane's a winner!! I'll really enjoy getting to know her as well as I know my Radian.

Tom
shepflyr is offline Find More Posts by shepflyr
Old Feb 21, 2015, 10:16 PM
characters welcome!
Joined Feb 2000
26,806 Posts
These gliders are notoriously tail heavy out of the box. That is the cause of the porpoising. Add 50 grams of weight in front or a different battery to get to the favored CG of 60mm from the leading edge at the root.

mw
Old Feb 22, 2015, 09:07 PM
Joined Aug 2011
887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wood View Post
These gliders are notoriously tail heavy out of the box. That is the cause of the porpoising. Add 50 grams of weight in front or a different battery to get to the favored CG of 60mm from the leading edge at the root.

mw
Mark,

Thanks! I'll check into that. Did move the batt all the way forward and gave her a couple of clicks down ele, which helped.

Had a great flying session late this afternoon. Not much lift present, but it was fun playing with the light wind and with what little spots of lift there were. Her wings definitely signaled lift, and when I turned her into it, she went up!

Here's a pic my flying buddy took. I titled it "Tranquility" because of how peaceful she looks in the beautiful sunset sky.

Tom
Old Feb 22, 2015, 10:30 PM
characters welcome!
Joined Feb 2000
26,806 Posts
Great shot!!

mw
Old Mar 02, 2015, 07:02 PM
The clown flyin' the plane.
San Diego
Joined Jul 2006
197 Posts
Hey guys. I've been having a blast with my Ka8 on those days when the lift is too light for anything else. Thanks for all the great info here, especially the CG. Saved me a lot of grief. Andy got a bunch of us hooked on this plane when he was visiting San Diego. I thought this would be a good place to repost my Kate video at Torrey Pines:

Ka8 Racing at Torrey (3 min 43 sec)
Ian C is offline Find More Posts by Ian C
Old Mar 02, 2015, 07:36 PM
Wishing I was at Torrey Pines
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,534 Posts
Good stuff, Ian! Fun video. I think I'll set a reminder on my phone to go watch this video once a week so I won't forget how much fun I had out there with you guys!

Andy
dee-grose is online now Find More Posts by dee-grose
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 02, 2015, 11:04 PM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,855 Posts
Andy,

When are you coming back out to fly with us?

Ray
rockbus is offline Find More Posts by rockbus
Old Mar 02, 2015, 11:53 PM
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbus View Post
Andy,

When are you coming back out to fly with us?

Ray
I don't have another trip scheduled out there right now. I'm preparing for the next install right now. This time it's in North Carolina. It may be a good while before you guys see this Alabama boy again. Trust me, I'll jump at the chance to come back out there, but it doesn't look like that's gonna be anytime soon.

I have lots of good memories though!

Andy
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2015, 10:41 AM
Joined Aug 2011
887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian C View Post
Hey guys. I've been having a blast with my Ka8 on those days when the lift is too light for anything else. Thanks for all the great info here, especially the CG. Saved me a lot of grief. Andy got a bunch of us hooked on this plane when he was visiting San Diego. I thought this would be a good place to repost my Kate video at Torrey Pines:

https://vimeo.com/118457911

IanC,

Thanks for posting this! It's a beautiful location and so fun to watch...especially for those of us who don't have any places like that in our part of the country.

Great flying ...and a bit scary at times. Looked like there were a few pretty close calls in the air there!

Tom
Old Mar 03, 2015, 09:35 PM
The clown flyin' the plane.
San Diego
Joined Jul 2006
197 Posts
Thanks Tom. That's why a lot of us bought 2 Kates. The lift is good enough at Torrey that we can almost always recover after a little wing bumping.
Ian C is offline Find More Posts by Ian C
Old Mar 03, 2015, 09:59 PM
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,534 Posts
Speaking of wing bumping...me and Phil at Bill's Hill back in January. We tangled and I barely flew out of it, barely made it back out into the light lift. Fun stuff!

Video by Chuck.

K8 MOM! (0 min 55 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 12:05 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
5,149 Posts
I once had a mid air collision with my dads Easyglider.

Took the complete Rudder off my Radian Pro
I did a quick handling check and all seemed well so I set up and flew a normal circuit to land.

Inspecting it revealed no other damage. Considering it had just flown a normal circuit I just checked the CoG, moved the battery slightly backwards and flew again on the ridge with no issues.

It did look kind of strange flying around without a rudder back there. Only the tiny vertical stab which was left seemed enough to keep the back where it belongs, at the back!
I do have differential on a switch but I can't remember if I had to switch it on, guess I must have though...

Rudders are so overrated
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Yesterday, 04:45 PM
Joined Aug 2011
887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee-grose View Post
Speaking of wing bumping...me and Phil at Bill's Hill back in January. We tangled and I barely flew out of it, barely made it back out into the light lift. Fun stuff!

Video by Chuck.

http://youtu.be/38oo-C-2Glg
Good save!

Yeah, my sailplane flyin' buddy Tony and I have had our share of close calls in the air while thermalling (no real slope soaring spots here). It can get exciting very quickly when that happens!

And some years ago another flyin' buddy, Kevin, went after my original Radian with his little Hobbyzone Champ. After a few strafing passes, he hit her, and he went down...almost for the count! As Tony said, "The death of a Champ!", Kevin recovered...just above the ground.

Tom