HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 09, 2008, 03:40 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,357 Posts
Rave
Maidened my Alfa Mig-15

Well title says it all i`ve just maidened my Alfa Modell Mig-15 on this no wind -5C blue sky winter day. My first ARF... usually i`m more of a scratch builder.. and my first working EDF!
My first try at EDF was a Flying Styro Kit F-16 but that one while making nice vakuum cleaner noises wasn`t able to sustain flight... this Mig 15 is a whole different animal !!
It`s VERY powerfull with a Plush 25A Regulator and a KB20-40-12L 4800kv motor.

Firstflight was a sliding takeoff from the grass, initially she needed a lot of down elevator trim but as soon as i relaxed a bit on the power the elevator trim requirement went away too. Second flight with a Throttle to elevator mix of 25% nose down with power made her fly straight like an arrow with addition of power.

All in all she flies like a trainer ! Smooth, predictable, hard to stall and easy to recover. with power on high alpha approaches are looking just like on a real one. Due to the freezing tempertures and teh morning fog just lifting i even packed up some icing Leading edges of the wings and elevator had about 1mm of clear ice and the inlet lip as well as the bottom of teh first bend in the duct too after landing

2 thumbs up to Alfa Modell!

Cheers
MB
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2008, 03:48 AM
......................... .....
Deutschland, NDS, Hannover
Joined Aug 2007
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatbomber
Well title says it all i`ve just maidened my Alfa Modell Mig-15 on this no wind -5C blue sky winter day. My first ARF... usually i`m more of a scratch builder.. and my first working EDF!
My first try at EDF was a Flying Styro Kit F-16 but that one while making nice vakuum cleaner noises wasn`t able to sustain flight... this Mig 15 is a whole different animal !!

Firstflight was a sliding takeoff from the grass, initially she needed a lot of down elevator trim but as soon as i relaxed a bit on the power the elevator trim requirement went away too. Second flight with a Throttle to elevator mix of 25% nose down with power made her fly straight like an arrow with addition of power.

All in all she flies like a trainer ! Smooth, predictable, hard to stall and easy to recover. with power on high alpha approaches are looking just like on a real one. Due to the freezing tempertures and teh morning fog just lifting i even packed up some icing Leading edges of the wings and elevator had about 1mm of clear ice and the inlet lip as well as the bottom of teh first bend in the duct too after landing

Cheers
MB
Congratulations! :-)
I'm still waiting to maiden my sabre. Brrrrr to cold! :-)

Christian
zero2nine is offline Find More Posts by zero2nine
Old Dec 09, 2008, 09:34 AM
I fly for Beer
Chilliwack, B.C. Canada
Joined Sep 2004
2,730 Posts
Congrats Meatbomber! The Mig is a great plane for sure!
Jag
Jagzilla is offline Find More Posts by Jagzilla
Old Dec 09, 2008, 10:18 AM
Joined Jan 2005
68 Posts
Congratulations on your maiden meatbomber! I had an Alfa Mig and flew it so much it finally just wore out. Loved it, flew great and was quick with the stock setup. I have another Mig and the A4 in the closet and hope to get them going over the winter months.
hoghead385 is offline Find More Posts by hoghead385
Old Dec 09, 2008, 10:13 PM
Tehachapi CA
Joined Sep 2008
390 Posts
Waiting for the right day to maiden mine,sounds like things went well for you,thanks for the mixing info.
TILEFLY is offline Find More Posts by TILEFLY
Old Dec 10, 2008, 05:27 AM
Canberra Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,479 Posts
The Alfa Mig is a fantastic little plane - I have a ball with mine.

Dickydoo - even though I was very careful setting up the wing and tailplane incidence as described in this forum, mine still tried to do a cobra on its first take-off. Thank goodness it was a ROG and I had both hands on the sticks ready to correct. If it was a hand launch it would have been a goner for sure.

Definitely try to ROG if you can, and let it rise off the grass itself rather then force it into the air. Otherwise, have someone else (with hand launch experience) throw it for you and be ready with the elevator, just in case.
CaseySP is online now Find More Posts by CaseySP
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Alfa Corsair Retracts again
Old Dec 10, 2008, 03:23 PM
Tehachapi CA
Joined Sep 2008
390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseySP
The Alfa Mig is a fantastic little plane - I have a ball with mine.

Dickydoo - even though I was very careful setting up the wing and tailplane incidence as described in this forum, mine still tried to do a cobra on its first take-off. Thank goodness it was a ROG and I had both hands on the sticks ready to correct. If it was a hand launch it would have been a goner for sure.

Definitely try to ROG if you can, and let it rise off the grass itself rather then force it into the air. Otherwise, have someone else (with hand launch experience) throw it for you and be ready with the elevator, just in case.
Will do , Thanks. *cobra manuever available!
Last edited by Dickydoo; Dec 10, 2008 at 03:30 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 07:26 PM
Yup, gravity is still working!
Dark side of the moon
Joined Oct 2004
844 Posts
I maidened my MIG-15 about a month ago and fully concur with meatbomber's excitement with this airframe . I had an alfa A-4 which I enjoyed very much but the Mig seems to be easier to fly.
I'm running a 5400kv outrunner (Don's wicked extreme) on a 3-cell 25C batt. and she certainly hauls the mail. Have not put a radar gun on it yet but unlimited vertical makes for some nice lines when doing aerobatics.

Now, I just need alfa to make one with a 90mm fan and retracts.
Frank
Flying Frank is offline Find More Posts by Flying Frank
Old Dec 11, 2008, 09:57 PM
Canberra Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Frank
I maidened my MIG-15 about a month ago and fully concur with meatbomber's excitement with this airframe . I had an alfa A-4 which I enjoyed very much but the Mig seems to be easier to fly.
I'm running a 5400kv outrunner (Don's wicked extreme) on a 3-cell 25C batt. and she certainly hauls the mail. Have not put a radar gun on it yet but unlimited vertical makes for some nice lines when doing aerobatics.

Now, I just need alfa to make one with a 90mm fan and retracts.
Frank
Frank,

Are you running the 5 or 3 blade fan? What sort or amps do you pull with this setup? I really like the look of Don's motors, but one step at a time. I have just ordered a 5 blade fan to go with my current setup (Alfa 3 blade, 6200kV inrunner, 30A ESC, 1500mAh 20C 3S pack, measured 25A @ 260W static) chasing more vertical.

The Alfa Mig is a fantastic aircraft, mine just needs more performance in the vertical department.

Cheers,
Troy.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2008, 02:04 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,357 Posts
Has anyone ever fitted that bird with retracts ? i've not really the lightest with a 64g motor and a heavy ESC + lots of heavy cables and the 1600 33C 3S pack. but i guess it would be quite possible to fly the bird with a lighter setup to make room for some micro mechanical retracts.. that's 3g each unit, + 3g ea for some wheels and hardware and 3g ea micro servos so could be probably done at about 30-40g total weight with wheels
Old Dec 12, 2008, 02:14 AM
Joined Aug 2004
367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatbomber

Cheers
MB
You picked up clear icing? How cool is that! That's the first I ever heard of a model airplane with airframe ice...Russ Farris
pookielips1954 is offline Find More Posts by pookielips1954
Old Dec 12, 2008, 02:23 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,357 Posts
Naww... i had icing on my Helis before and also on other parkflyers when flyign in freezing fog / mist, all is well and good as long as we don`t pick up some rime ice
Old Dec 12, 2008, 10:10 AM
Tehachapi CA
Joined Sep 2008
390 Posts
me too,fingers suffer also!
Old Dec 15, 2008, 10:04 PM
Yup, gravity is still working!
Dark side of the moon
Joined Oct 2004
844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseySP
Frank,

Are you running the 5 or 3 blade fan? What sort or amps do you pull with this setup? I really like the look of Don's motors, but one step at a time. I have just ordered a 5 blade fan to go with my current setup (Alfa 3 blade, 6200kV inrunner, 30A ESC, 1500mAh 20C 3S pack, measured 25A @ 260W static) chasing more vertical.

The Alfa Mig is a fantastic aircraft, mine just needs more performance in the vertical department.

Cheers,
Troy.

Troy,
Havn't had a chance to get to this thread lately . However, here are the numbers on my set-up
Definately running the 5-blade impeller. The rest of the powertrain is "Don's wicked extreme" 5400kv outrunner with pentium 40 ESC(has switching bec).
I am presently trying out three different 3S batteries. Here are the early results:

1) TP2100 15C 5.1oz 330watts@35amps= 268watts/pound

2)Rhino1750 25C 5.4oz 460watts@44amps= 368watts/pound

3)Zippy2200 30C 6.8oz 492watts@46amps= 370watts/pound

Of course these are all fresh packs right off the charger. I take it real easy on the 15C TP2100's as they are on the frazzled edge if you like WOT. All three packs produce excellent vertical climb but of course the higher C rated batteries perform the best and will allow the rest of your components to excel. Bottom line, the battery makes a huge impact on your performance.

Hope you are enjoying your Mig . Slap a nice 25-30C 2200mah battery in there and tear it up. You'll definately need a bigger ESC. My RTF weight MINUS battery=14.6oz or 413grams. Hope this was helpful.
Frank
Flying Frank is offline Find More Posts by Flying Frank
Old Dec 15, 2008, 10:26 PM
Canberra Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Frank
Troy,
Havn't had a chance to get to this thread lately . However, here are the numbers on my set-up ....
Very helpful. Thanks Frank,

How do you fit these packs in the fuse? My 1500mA packs are the flattest I could find and they only just fit under the hatch/cockpit. Have you discarded the balsa battery plate and fixed them directly onto the ducting? Would like to see a photo of how you've done it

I was thinking of going with Don's 4600-4800kV motor as this seems a good match for the 5 blade. It may also help me keep the 30A ESC (with cooling mods noted in the other thread). Ideally I wouldn't want anything less then 5 mins duration, so I may well have to get creative about fitting bigger packs.
RCG Plus Member