HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 08, 2014, 09:14 PM
A Better View on YouTube
Joined May 2014
259 Posts
Discussion
GoPro Hero 4 ( Being used for Aerial Video) ***Owners Thread***

Hey guys!

Got our hero 4 Black Edition a few days ago and we are loving it. I thought I would start this thread for people to share there opinions and experiences with this new product in relation to aerial video!

Feel free to share your thoughts on this new product.

My brother and I's thoughts are shown in the video which you can watch below and I will mention some other things after that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJRu...SX-bTw-VRaEryQ

We are using the FeiYu Tech g3 2 axis gimbal and the hero 4's new button placement for changing the settings is wildly inconvenient because it forces us to take off the camera each time we would like to change the settings. The thing that was good is we are able to change batteries without taking off the camera. We realized after shooting and posting our video that the results on this would vary based on what gimbal you are using so I was wondering what were other's experiences on various gimbals!

So let us know what else you would like to add, feel free to share your own videos as well. For those of you who aren't Hero 4 owners, let us know if you have any questions or would like to see any videos on the Hero 4 and we will do our best to make the videos for you!

Please share your thoughts on this new product and your experiences with it, thanks guys!
quadbros is online now Find More Posts by quadbros
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2014, 09:32 PM
DWA
John 3:16
South Orange County,CA.
Joined Dec 2004
10,567 Posts
I just picked up mine (4Black) about 2 hours ago. I have not even had time to open it yet but I plan on using it with the DJI H3-3D gimbal.

I was using the GoPro3black.

I will post up how it does with that gimbal when i get a chance.

Dave
DWA is offline Find More Posts by DWA
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2014, 09:36 PM
A Better View on YouTube
Joined May 2014
259 Posts
Dave,
Thank you very much! Looking forward to seeing people's results with low light and the long interval time lapse as well!
Old Oct 08, 2014, 09:54 PM
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined Jul 2013
325 Posts
I'm loving the Hero4 Black, it's a massive improvement over the previous generation in almost all ways. The H3-3D gimbal handles it well, except that the V1 version doesn't pass the video signal through.

Here is the first thing I shot with the new GoPro, captured it all in one flight and without any FPV since I have a H3-3D V1.

GoPro Hero4 Black - 4K UHD Steamer Lane, Santa Cruz CA - DJI Phanton (1 min 42 sec)

Recorded at 4K 30fps, edited in 4K and uploaded to Youtube in 4K. No post correction done to the footage whatsoever, straight off the camera.
laselvasurf is offline Find More Posts by laselvasurf
Old Oct 08, 2014, 09:58 PM
A Better View on YouTube
Joined May 2014
259 Posts
laselvasurf Looks awesome especially considering no FPV! You can really tell the difference between the hero 4 and 3+ when you go straight into the sun.
Old Oct 08, 2014, 10:22 PM
Joined Oct 2014
2 Posts
How can you tell the difference between versions on the H3-3D gimbal?
I have a phantom 2 that i only bought a month ago, which was bundled with the gimbal. Currently only using hero3 with immersionRC and iosd mini.
I will probably get the hero 4 anyway, but would love to know if people are having success with video out, and how can i tell if mine will work before purchase? Thanks!
wiseandi is offline Find More Posts by wiseandi
Old Oct 08, 2014, 10:37 PM
A Better View on YouTube
Joined May 2014
259 Posts
we couldn't get fpv to work but one of our solders on our vtx wasn't ideal so not sure, will fix the solder and see if that fixes our fpv! I will let you know for sure!
Old Oct 08, 2014, 10:43 PM
Lethargic Nincompoop
United States, CA, El Segundo
Joined Jul 2014
669 Posts
Ed has a video using the gp4 with the h3-3d in stock config and it appears to work fine. If you remove the usb plug (2.1g) and the little plastic piece (2g) that cover the location where the old gopro connector was, you save 4.1 grams and the gopro4 pretty much balances perfect.
Skunky is offline Find More Posts by Skunky
Old Oct 09, 2014, 12:23 AM
Joined Jul 2013
325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseandi View Post
How can you tell the difference between versions on the H3-3D gimbal?
I have a phantom 2 that i only bought a month ago, which was bundled with the gimbal. Currently only using hero3 with immersionRC and iosd mini.
I will probably get the hero 4 anyway, but would love to know if people are having success with video out, and how can i tell if mine will work before purchase? Thanks!
The H3-3D V1 has the 30-pin plug and the V1.1 has the usb ribbon cable. The V1 does not work with the new GoPro and the V1.1 works just fine.
Old Oct 09, 2014, 12:23 AM
Joined Jul 2013
325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadbros View Post
we couldn't get fpv to work but one of our solders on our vtx wasn't ideal so not sure, will fix the solder and see if that fixes our fpv! I will let you know for sure!
If you have iOSD, that will still work, you just won't get a video signal from the go pro.
Old Oct 09, 2014, 09:02 PM
A Better View on YouTube
Joined May 2014
259 Posts
Anyone know why you won't get the video signal? I mean that is a huge deal.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 03:16 AM
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Feb 2013
1,761 Posts
So I mounted two Gopros next to each other so I could do a side by side test. I don't see much difference at all in the 1080 medium mode. Looks like it has the similar sensor. The Hero 4 is no better in low light than the Hero 3.

Hero 3 Black vs Hero 4 Black video quality (2 min 25 sec)
CG Photo is online now Find More Posts by CG Photo
Last edited by CG Photo; Oct 10, 2014 at 12:34 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 05:00 AM
Manual will not flyaway :D
Sweden, Gothenburg
Joined Oct 2012
3,139 Posts
I'm so happy you posted that CG Photo, you have just saved me from spending a few hundred dollars! I was expecting a bigger sensor for low light conditions.
ecks is online now Find More Posts by ecks
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2014, 10:34 AM
Joined Apr 2013
268 Posts
My hometown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfOa...8MVov15ILbahcg
JebSmith is offline Find More Posts by JebSmith
Last edited by JebSmith; Oct 10, 2014 at 10:45 AM.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 11:38 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Feb 2012
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JebSmith View Post
Nice! shot with H33D?
leemann is offline Find More Posts by leemann