SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:55 PM
Joined Feb 2013
16 Posts
Mini-HowTo
How can I tell the propeller direction?

Hello, I have a very newbie question. When you put a propeller on your motor, how can you tell which way is 'forward'? Forward as in facing the flight path.
gln6f is offline Find More Posts by gln6f
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:32 AM
Joensuu, Finland
Joined Mar 2002
1,530 Posts
If there is any text on the prop (size markings etc.), the text side should face forward.

To verify: the blades have an airfoil shape - one side is essentially straight and the other has a noticable convex curve. The curved side should face forward.
jkettu is offline Find More Posts by jkettu
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:33 AM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,542 Posts
Generally, the numbers and lettering will be on the front face of the prop. This applies to APC, GWS, Master Airscrew, Graupner, Xoar, GM, Zinger, Top Flite, and most other brands, but there are a few oddballs.

The most foolproof way is to determine which side of the prop is the convex side. The blades' convex faces always, ALWAYS face forward. Somebody here has a nice little image that shows the concept pretty well. It'll probably get posted soon.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:34 AM
Joined Aug 2009
12,542 Posts

Jkettu posted while I was typing... and, incidentally, posted almost exactly the same thing.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:26 AM
United States, OH
Joined Mar 2012
1,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C₄H₁₀ View Post
Generally, the numbers and lettering will be on the front face of the prop. This applies to APC, GWS, Master Airscrew, Graupner, Xoar, GM, Zinger, Top Flite, and most other brands, but there are a few oddballs.

The most foolproof way is to determine which side of the prop is the convex side. The blades' convex faces always, ALWAYS face forward. Somebody here has a nice little image that shows the concept pretty well. It'll probably get posted soon.
Here ya go.
Ginohio is offline Find More Posts by Ginohio
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:47 PM
Joined Aug 2009
12,542 Posts
Yup, that one
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:38 PM
Joined Sep 2008
675 Posts
After you put the prop on correctly, if the motor runs backwards, if you have a brushless motor just swap any 2 of the 3 wires.
aurorae is offline Find More Posts by aurorae
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:30 AM
Wilson, NC
Joined Aug 2009
224 Posts
What most people do not realize is that a prop mounted backward, but turning in the correct direction, will still push/pull air in the correct direction, but the quantity of air pushed/pulled will be greatly reduced. I have seen a model takeoff, with the prop unknowingly mounted backward. The plane was extremly sluggish, but it did fly.
villapilote is offline Find More Posts by villapilote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:28 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,480 Posts
Simple method.

A boat going backwards cavitates. The backside of a plane propeller is concave, the word "cave" appears in both cavitate and concave.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Feb 20, 2013, 01:29 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedStik View Post
Simple method.

A boat going backwards cavitates. The backside of a plane propeller is concave, the word "cave" appears in both cavitate and concave.
I remember it by "you can always go into a cave"
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Feb 20, 2013, 02:26 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedStik View Post
Simple method.

I hate to be a party pooper but 'cave' doesn't appear in 'cavitate'... At least not unless you jumble the letters around a bit
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:45 AM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
I hate to be a party pooper but 'cave' doesn't appear in 'cavitate'... At least not unless you jumble the letters around a bit
there you go pooping on the party again
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:10 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,480 Posts
/me passes the tp

The root 'cav' is close enough to work as a mnemonic device.

I'm just glad I didn't misspell it and write cavities.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Feb 27, 2013, 05:30 PM
Joined Feb 2013
16 Posts
Sorry about the late post, I've been crazy busy with a new job. Good to know and thank you all.
gln6f is offline Find More Posts by gln6f
Old Feb 28, 2013, 06:29 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2013
45 Posts
Propellers are described as left- or right-handed. Left-handed propellers rotate counterclockwise and are known as "counter-rotating propellers." When the boat with a left-handed propeller backs up, it pulls to the left. When a boat with a right-handed propeller backs up, it pulls to the right.
nstructions
Look at the propeller mounted on the motor. When seen from above, the leading edge of a right-handed propeller is to the right of its trailing edge. The leading edge of a left-handed propeller is to the left of its trailing edge.

Start the motor and watch, from astern of the motor, the direction in which the propeller turns. A left-handed propeller rotates counterclockwise; a right-handed propeller rotates clockwise.

Put the boat in reverse, turn the motor so that it's centered and back the boat up at idle speed. If the stern pulls to starboard, the right side of the boat, it's a left-handed propeller. If it pulls to port, it's right-handed.
benlinus is offline Find More Posts by benlinus
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)