HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:29 PM
Joined Oct 2005
109 Posts
Discussion
Fuel proff paint in bottles /cans?

Just got back in the hobby after 18 years. Went to my LHS to pick up some paint to fix up one of my old planes I'm tying to "resurrect". To my surprise all fuel proof paints seem to come only in spray cans.

Seems like a heck of a waste if your paint landing gear,especially the wire type on old timers, or fix up small trim details.

Anybody know where one can get fuel proof paints in bottles /cans?
DanF is offline Find More Posts by DanF
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:34 PM
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
2,112 Posts
Are you talking about the dope kind or anything fuel proof?
ace4rc is online now Find More Posts by ace4rc
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:54 PM
Joined Oct 2005
109 Posts
When I built the plane I'm trying to rejuvenate, I was able to buy Top Flite Monocote matching paints in cans. I'd like to get a hold of something similar.
DanF is offline Find More Posts by DanF
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:00 PM
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
2,112 Posts
Unless you come across an individual that has some your probably not going to get any. But there are other option's. Latex for one. Take a piece of your color to Home Depot or Lowes and they will match it with a sample bottle. Sample bottles are 7oz. Should be plenty for your purpose. And they are only around $3.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:03 PM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Jan 2006
603 Posts
Latex is fuelproof also then?????
Beardiedrg is offline Find More Posts by Beardiedrg
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:23 PM
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
2,112 Posts
Crap! Forgot that part. It can be clear coated for fuel proofing. Don't remember what kind. I'm sure someone with better knowledge on that part will chime in.
My apologies.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:51 PM
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
2,112 Posts
One of the other option's would be to take the spray cans you have and put the paint itself in a jar. I invert the can, tape the trigger on, and when the propellant is empty I take a can opener to the bottom. I do this sometimes when I need a small amount of a non vital color. The paint I use is a little expensive and only comes in quarts.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 11:14 AM
United States, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2011
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF View Post
When I built the plane I'm trying to rejuvenate, I was able to buy Top Flite Monocote matching paints in cans. I'd like to get a hold of something similar.
Ive used that on Heli canopies and it seems to work good. You can't paint it over emamel
FloridaFlyBob is online now Find More Posts by FloridaFlyBob