HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old May 13, 2012, 12:46 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,997 Posts
Yep, binds fine to my Devo 8 but I got to try it with a Devo 10 and I'm not sure it worked. At least, I couldn't arm my quad. Though thinking about it, it may just be a FC calibration issue.
thwaitm is online now Find More Posts by thwaitm
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2012, 12:51 PM
Never trust laughing dolphins
Joined Feb 2011
2,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
Yep, binds fine to my Devo 8 but I got to try it with a Devo 10 and I'm not sure it worked. At least, I couldn't arm my quad. Though thinking about it, it may just be a FC calibration issue.
That has most likely to do with your ESC and setting throttle to as low as possible, or did you try that?
PHMX is offline Find More Posts by PHMX
Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2012, 08:50 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,997 Posts
Since it binds just fine to my D8 we didn't waste a lot of time trying to get it to work. It might actually have bound but calibration of the TX's are different so it fails to arm my FF FC board.
thwaitm is online now Find More Posts by thwaitm
Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2012, 07:48 AM
Never trust laughing dolphins
Joined Feb 2011
2,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
Since it binds just fine to my D8 we didn't waste a lot of time trying to get it to work. It might actually have bound but calibration of the TX's are different so it fails to arm my FF FC board.
I wasn't talking about binding, as the problem is not binding nor the FC calibration, but arming the ESC. I'm confident any ESC will work with the Devo receivers, but some simply require the throttle low endpoint to be at the lowest value possible for it to arm the ESC and motor.

It's not a bind problem and it's in fact easy to solve. Its the safety feature of certain ESCs causing this arming problem.
PHMX is offline Find More Posts by PHMX
Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2012, 08:13 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHMX View Post
I wasn't talking about binding, as the problem is not binding nor the FC calibration, but arming the ESC. I'm confident any ESC will work with the Devo receivers, but some simply require the throttle low endpoint to be at the lowest value possible for it to arm the ESC and motor.

It's not a bind problem and it's in fact easy to solve. Its the safety feature of certain ESCs causing this arming problem.
It's not my problem. If my FC doesn't get the right signal nothing happens. Nothing to do with the ESC. I'm sure it's a TX-FC calibration issue.
thwaitm is online now Find More Posts by thwaitm
Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2012, 02:31 PM
Never trust laughing dolphins
Joined Feb 2011
2,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
It's not my problem. If my FC doesn't get the right signal nothing happens. Nothing to do with the ESC. I'm sure it's a TX-FC calibration issue.
I'm sorry, but you're not really listening to what I say. I had the exact same problem with certain ESC's and Devo receivers, the motor wouldn't arm but it would bind fine.

Really the only thing I had to do was change a setting in my radio and is exactly what needs to be changed when it comes to the signal.

It's crazy how you refuse to see a solution here.
PHMX is offline Find More Posts by PHMX
Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2012, 08:21 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,997 Posts
I'm not the crazy one. You are not reading what I've written.

My problem has nothing at all to do with the ESC, trims etc.

My FF board won't arm because the TX-FlightController combo hasn't been calibrated. Simple as that.
If you would actually read the FF FC doc you can see in black and white that it says the board will not arm if calibration hasn't been completed.

My only mistake was thinking that the RX had not bound to the TX when in fact it had.

I'm sure you are right for the problem you are talking about but it's just a different problem to the one I have and in fact I totally agree with you that some ESCs won't arm if the throttle is at minimum. Only last night I was flashing some ESCs and during testing had an ESC fail to arm because I'd disconnected and reconnected the ESC-Battery connection (and therefore the RX power) without the stick being at full 0 position.
thwaitm is online now Find More Posts by thwaitm
Last edited by thwaitm; May 16, 2012 at 05:48 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2012, 09:11 AM
Never trust laughing dolphins
Joined Feb 2011
2,098 Posts
It seems you're missing the point. It's not just the low stick position that counts, it's also the lowest value set in the radio for the throttle channel that counts.

The fact that you've simply given up trying to figure it out doesn't mean it won't possibly work.
PHMX is offline Find More Posts by PHMX
Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2012, 09:48 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,997 Posts
I haven't given up. I know the solution to my problem and you're missing my point which is that it's not the ESC that won't arm but my FC, which comes before the ESC and directly after the RX. It won't arm because I haven't calibrated my FC for that specific TX, which is calibrated differently from the Devo 8 which works just fine.

You are welcome to believe me that I actually know what I'm on about or continue to enjoy your own delusion that you know, from I guess, a few thousand km, my problem better than me. Ping me when you're next in Tokyo and I'll show you the whole deal - I'll even let you play at trying to get it to work if you like.



On a side note, I wonder if we can rename this thread the PHMX vs thwaitm thread... no one else seems bothered any more!
thwaitm is online now Find More Posts by thwaitm
Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2012, 08:07 PM
Registered User
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
It's looking like it might well be my RX801. It doesn't appear to pair with another Devo TX either.
I had to go with the rx802 in order to use it in the trex 450,no problems binding with devo7 but the rx801 will not work.
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2012, 05:03 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
I had to go with the rx802 in order to use it in the trex 450,no problems binding with devo7 but the rx801 will not work.
Thanks for chipping in. So in summary: Any Walkera Devo RX binds with the Devo7 except for some RX801. If you have a Devo 7 and want to be sure that you can bind then avoid the RX801 and buy the $5 more 802.

I guess the OP already made his decision though...
thwaitm is online now Find More Posts by thwaitm
Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 07:24 PM
Never trust laughing dolphins
Joined Feb 2011
2,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
I haven't given up. I know the solution to my problem and you're missing my point which is that it's not the ESC that won't arm but my FC, which comes before the ESC and directly after the RX. It won't arm because I haven't calibrated my FC for that specific TX, which is calibrated differently from the Devo 8 which works just fine.

You are welcome to believe me that I actually know what I'm on about or continue to enjoy your own delusion that you know, from I guess, a few thousand km, my problem better than me. Ping me when you're next in Tokyo and I'll show you the whole deal - I'll even let you play at trying to get it to work if you like.



On a side note, I wonder if we can rename this thread the PHMX vs thwaitm thread... no one else seems bothered any more!
Lol, nah, we are really not that important and you'd be surprised to find out where I live for sure.

But you'll have to understand that many issues are only really problems because people fail to see the solution or act accordingly, not because it's impossible to solve.

Somehow I find it strange that you claim to basically know the solution, yet haven't solved the problem.

I'll trust you will acknowledge my comments as being drenched in stubborness, but with the utmost respect. We're both in this for the fun of RC, there's no reason to fight.
PHMX is offline Find More Posts by PHMX
Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2012, 02:11 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHMX View Post
Lol, nah, we are really not that important
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHMX View Post
and you'd be surprised to find out where I live for sure.
Go on then - where? PM me if you don't want to write it here - you have me curious now. If you're in Japan I'd like to have you take a look and see if together we can get my RX801 to work with Devo7 or if it's forever doomed to be Devo 8+ only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHMX View Post
But you'll have to understand that many issues are only really problems because people fail to see the solution or act accordingly, not because it's impossible to solve.
Or that people don't fully understand the actual problem (sometimes through no fault of their own - it could be due to a poor explanation).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHMX View Post
Somehow I find it strange that you claim to basically know the solution, yet haven't solved the problem.
I have totally solved the problem with Devo 10 TX and RX801. I calibrated my FC to the RX/TX combo and it worked just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHMX View Post
I'll trust you will acknowledge my comments as being drenched in stubborness,
Not drenched, but there is some there (some here too).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHMX View Post
but with the utmost respect. We're both in this for the fun of RC, there's no reason to fight.
Not fighting, just we seem to be at cross-purposes. You were telling me how to solve a problem I didn't actually have and then criticising/wondering why I hadn't used your answer to fix my problem and failing to understand that it was not my issue.

Earlier in the thread I'll admit that I was rubbed the wrong way by your comments based on a friends experiences and youtube videos that you were right and I was wrong - despite the fact that I had the hardware in front of me and I had tried multiple ESCs, throttle stick, trim and bind plug combinations to get it to work.

Eventually, I think I managed to convince you that it wasn't just me being a muppet and that actually my RX801 stubbornly refuses to bind to my Devo 7.
But still not really ready to budge on your 'it's all Devo so it must work and you're doing something wrong.' attitude. It wasn't helped by Walkera's lack of consistency of answer either.

I'm now just curious about where you live and if you were to try would you have the same result with my gear. I'm pretty certain you would. But seriously, if you're just up the road/Shinkansen track - lets try it together.
thwaitm is online now Find More Posts by thwaitm
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 07, 2012, 04:00 PM
Never trust laughing dolphins
Joined Feb 2011
2,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
You were telling me how to solve a problem I didn't actually have and then criticising/wondering why I hadn't used your answer to fix my problem and failing to understand that it was not my issue.
Well, that just seems to me to be a clear indication of someone having an issue with the gear, but alas it's alright with me either way. Not wanting to solve an issue straightaway, even with the solution at hand, doesn't mean there is no issue that needs to be solved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
Earlier in the thread I'll admit that I was rubbed the wrong way by your comments based on a friends experiences and youtube videos that you were right and I was wrong - despite the fact that I had the hardware in front of me and I had tried multiple ESCs, throttle stick, trim and bind plug combinations to get it to work.
I can somewhat understand that, although it does say a lot about your bias towards believing you must have been right from the start where you were basically eliminating other causes by definition. At some point this basically made me doubt whether you actually had the gear and problem or were bashing Walkera.

It still makes me wonder why some people, including my local friend and at least one person on this forum, do achieve a bind with the RX801 without much effort.

By the way, the other things I had suggested where to really figure out whether it must be a pure bind problem or perhaps the ESC causing problems. Did you ever try a second rx801 to bind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
Eventually, I think I managed to convince you that it wasn't just me being a muppet and that actually my RX801 stubbornly refuses to bind to my Devo 7. But still not really ready to budge on your 'it's all Devo so it must work and you're doing something wrong.' attitude. It wasn't helped by Walkera's lack of consistency of answer either.
To me personally, Walkera has been quite consistent each time though, it should in fact work. I don't know why it doesn't in your case, nor does it make any sense whatsoever for the Devo 7 + RX801 to be special and incompatible. There are still websites promoting the rx801 as being compatible with the Devo 7.
PHMX is offline Find More Posts by PHMX
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 07, 2012, 07:20 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHMX View Post
Well, that just seems to me to be a clear indication of someone having an issue with the gear, but alas it's alright with me either way. Not wanting to solve an issue straightaway, even with the solution at hand, doesn't mean there is no issue that needs to be solved.
This is partly my fault I think because I mistakenly thought my flight control board wasn't arming with a second TX because the RX hadn't bound. But I quickly realised it was a feature of the FC and the RX binding to a Devo10 was fine.

You missed my correction and were still telling me how to bind. I had bound, just FC was not armed due to not having been calibrated to Devo10 and RX801 combo.
I didn't/don't have a bind problem with Devo10 and 801.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHMX View Post
I can somewhat understand that, although it does say a lot about your bias towards believing you must have been right from the start where you were basically eliminating other causes by definition. At some point this basically made me doubt whether you actually had the gear and problem or were bashing Walkera.
Well when you have the gear in front of you and you have multiple other RXs, experience with 2801/Devo8 and just the Devo7+RX801 won't bind you start to be pretty sure of yourself vs a guy telling me I need to use a bind plug (despite the Devo8 binding in Random) and who doesn't have the gear in front of him.

Re: Walkera bashing, I'd say WK are not perfect by any means, they have their faults but overall I think they are doing a great job at delivering a good value product and innovating/catching the popular trends (look at the LB/SpaceWalker).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHMX View Post
It still makes me wonder why some people, including my local friend and at least one person on this forum, do achieve a bind with the RX801 without much effort.
Reading around it appears that there are 2 RX801 firmwares. I and another guy have the non D7 binding version and your friend and someone else both have the binding version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHMX View Post
By the way, the other things I had suggested where to really figure out whether it must be a pure bind problem or perhaps the ESC causing problems. Did you ever try a second rx801 to bind?
Yep, and I tried all your suggestions honestly for the benefit of my satisfaction and that of the OP and anyone else reading.

Conclusion was: it might work, but it might not. If all you have is a D7 you might want to avoid the RX801.

Fair no?

I didn't buy another 801, but 802 instead (works fine with D7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHMX View Post
To me personally, Walkera has been quite consistent each time
except when you got a mail kind of saying, It should work its Devo. and I got one saying, No, it won't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHMX View Post
though, it should in fact work. I don't know why it doesn't in your case, nor does it make any sense whatsoever for the Devo 7 + RX801 to be special and incompatible. There are still websites promoting the rx801 as being compatible with the Devo 7.
2 different firmwares, one pre7 and one post7 conception.

So come on then... where do you live? Hong Kong? GuangZhou?

Your English is perfect so I'm guessing you're well educated, possibly an Engineer and you're either native HK/Singapore Chinese or an expat/dual national living in Asia...
Warm yet?
thwaitm is online now Find More Posts by thwaitm
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale Fs: Mint- ko propo pds-2123 7.2-7.4v lipo compatible servo sir Cars - Accessories (FS/W) 5 Nov 09, 2011 05:11 PM
For Sale Walkera Devo 7 TX/Devo RX2625H Combo for sale Tom Z Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 0 Oct 06, 2011 01:33 PM
For Sale Walkera Devo 7 TX/Devo RX2625H Combo for sale Tom Z Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 0 Oct 05, 2011 12:38 PM
For Sale Spektrum DX5e with DSM2 compatible AR6110 like rx *PENDING* justplainold Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 0 Oct 02, 2011 07:38 PM
Off Site Hitec 7-channel RX, Airtronics compatible, on ebay jim breese Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 0 Jun 08, 2011 01:23 AM