SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 08, 2011, 11:58 AM
Los Angeles, California
Joined Jun 2006
414 Posts
Help!
Balancing board question - help please

Hello

I recently purchased a balancing board, so then I can parallel charge multiple packs (same c rating, same capacity and cell count) at the same time.

I had some questions:

1. do i connect the main leads first, or the balancing tabs first?
2. if i connect the balancing tabs first, then do i connect the main lead of that battery pack? or do i connect all the balancing tabs of the packs, and then all the leads?

Maybe it doesn't make a difference - but thought i would ask first, just to make sure. look forward to your feedback, cheers ... Khan
wrathofkhan is offline Find More Posts by wrathofkhan
Last edited by wrathofkhan; Sep 08, 2011 at 12:40 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2011, 12:25 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,608 Posts
If you mean parallel charging then it wont make any difference, just make sure polarity is good and make sure you connect the balance tabs properly, in the right port and pins.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Sep 08, 2011, 12:41 PM
Los Angeles, California
Joined Jun 2006
414 Posts
thanks for your post, you are correct ... i did mean parallel charging
Old Sep 08, 2011, 12:59 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,608 Posts
My balancing board is for 2,3,4,5 7 6s packs so when I want to charge multiple 2S and or 3S packs I connect all the balance leads say in the 3S, 4S ports but the pack that is in the 4S slot I make sure its connected in the first 4 pins as if it was connected just like in the 3s port.

Then I connect my main leads. If you connect the balance tabs FIRST this will give you a chance to double check every thing FIRST.

SO I guess when I said it did not matter I should of said balance tab first just to avoid WHAT IF.

As long as the main leads are not connected YET to the charger then if you happened to connect the other packs on the wrong pins nothing will happened, if the main leads where connected then OOPS.

But if you are using a balancing board just for this purpose of parallel charging and the board say only had five 2S ports then you don't have any chance of screwing that up so my original statement of IT DOES MATTER applies.

Like these boards for example: the bigger board has multiple ports of each size just for this purpose.
Old Sep 08, 2011, 03:11 PM
Los Angeles, California
Joined Jun 2006
414 Posts
i had a balancing board before, used it for about a month. at that time, i always used to plug the main in first, then the tab. then i would move to the second pack, connect the main lead, and then the balancing tab, and so on

UNTIL, one time, for some reason 'just' when i plugged in the balancing tab .. it shorted, sparked, smoked (balancing tab). one of my pack was already plugged in (both main and balancing tab). i quickly yanked out the packs. it happened so fast that i couldn't tell exactly what happened, i have no idea how the balancing tab shorted. the wires were fried pretty good, so had to replace them. i went ahead and changed the wires as well as the tab. i didn't want to take any chances and threw away the parallel charging board.

now that i got a new balancing board, i am quite leery ... do not want to repeat the same incident, hence this post.
Old Sep 08, 2011, 04:20 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,608 Posts
Then do not parallel charge. I had my bad experience with series charging after not paying attention to the order I was connecting. Let the magic smoke out of the charger. All good it was only a 50$ lesson.
Old Sep 09, 2011, 01:50 AM
Los Angeles, California
Joined Jun 2006
414 Posts
there is some excellent information here: https://sites.google.com/site/tjingu...allel-charging

I found this:

There is one concern that is still very real though and that is if the pack's balance wires are connected first, this high current could damage the balance wires and/or the balance adapter. As such the main leads should always be connected first.