SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: Which DW do/have you own/owned?
DW 28" kit 61 10.45%
DW SKUA 28 4.79%
DW 38" kit 175 29.97%
DW 48" kit 154 26.37%
DW 55" kit 70 11.99%
DW Pylon Racer 9 1.54%
Never owned one 208 35.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 584. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 09, 2011, 03:41 AM
United States, SC, Spartanburg
Joined Feb 2011
186 Posts
well i got it done just a bit ago, after i got off work.
it came out really good, i sure hope it flys as good as it looks!!!
if ya'll get a chance check over to the build thread and youcan see step by step as it want from pieces of foam to this good looking bird!!!

thanks so much
Mikey
madmikeyreturns is offline Find More Posts by madmikeyreturns
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2011, 09:47 AM
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2009
289 Posts
Looks great!
blueapplepaste is offline Find More Posts by blueapplepaste
Old Oct 09, 2011, 11:45 AM
Extreme Flight Minion
United States, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Nov 2010
556 Posts
Wanna build me one? I love the wheels pants and LG strut covers! beautiful!
SpartanExec is offline Find More Posts by SpartanExec
Old Oct 09, 2011, 02:59 PM
Joined Feb 2011
186 Posts
sure!!! i love to build and airbrush!!! it's amazing, i use to would draw off my scheme and then sit down and paint the whole plane with brush using the craft paint from walmart. it's amazing what a few years and learning a few things can do!! i'm still learning some techniques with the airbrush, like true flames and lighting. this plane was the first attempt at doing lighting bolts.
if anyone would like one painted or built i would be willing to do that. i know just assembling the wing and fuse parts and painting them might make shipping back to you easier than trying to box up a complete airframe, unless your close and we could meet up.
i'm currently also building an 40" yak 55m for a friend, i should have the painting done this week and i'll post pics of it too.

Mikey
Old Oct 09, 2011, 03:05 PM
Joined Feb 2011
186 Posts
FLIGHT REPORT!!!!! even though it's a little windy here, i couldn't resist test flying it.
if you didn't know this is one of the first all 9mm kits sent out!!!

So how does it fly!!! even in a 10mph wind.......GREAT!!!!!!
i wasn't really able to trim it out but from what i saw i don;t think it needs any!!! i flew one flight at home and did notice it needed some right thrust in the motor so i put one washer behind the motor to give it some right. i then flew a short flight in the parking lot here at work before i had to start work. the right thrust i put in it helped out.
but at speed it's very smooth, rolls and point rolls are very crisp!!! and at slow speed, it's a floater, it has a buetiful glide to it!!! i think i got my balance dead on. i have the battery up against the landing gear leg. i still got to wait for a calm day to fully trim it out and check the balance more.
i'm so happy, after the first flight i was grining from ear to ear!!!

i will post more about the first two flights on the build thread!!!

Mikey
Old Oct 09, 2011, 11:08 PM
Gig Harbor, WA.
Joined Jul 2010
159 Posts
2nd 9MM Fuse Foamy flight!

I got my 40" all 9MM Edge up today. Flew 2 paks through it. found a pretty good balance point around 3/8" behind the spar. Since I am a newby I flew at 50% low rate with 30% Expo. Flew like a trainer and floated better than most. still had a great vertical. Did straight line inverted, loops and rolls with ease.

Anyway, as I was leaving my field, I got a call from Flopgun and was invited to fly at his field at 3pm today. I turned my car in his direction and met them at thier field in Port Orchard to watch them fly. (DANG! They are good)! I found an extra Pak and gave my new plane to Flopgun and he was gracious enough to give it a test fly at 100 high rate! Plane did it all, Even with Flopgun bieng a bit conservative, It appears that this plane is a winner! Hovered beautifully, did all the tricks with ease. I Love this airplane!

I took video with my FlipCam, but for the life of me I cant find the adapter cord!!! Will upload video if, and when I ever find it!

Thanks again Flopgun for all your help and advice.
Chris Arena is offline Find More Posts by Chris Arena
Old Oct 09, 2011, 11:14 PM
Extreme Flight Minion
United States, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Nov 2010
556 Posts
Wish I could fly with Flop! I need to make the trip up to fly with you guys!
SpartanExec is offline Find More Posts by SpartanExec
Old Oct 10, 2011, 02:26 AM
Gonna need a bigger plane . .
Kitsap County, WA, USA
Joined Jul 2007
2,951 Posts
Hey Chris that was a lot of fun, you got that 40" Extra tuned up nice, good choice in DW!

We got blessed with some great weather. Might be the last 60+ degree sunny day until April lol.

Sam.... anytime bud, just say the word, don't forget the Yak and the guitar.
FlopGun is offline Find More Posts by FlopGun
Old Oct 10, 2011, 03:12 AM
Gig Harbor, WA.
Joined Jul 2010
159 Posts
All 9MM 300 Extra flown by Flopgun!

DW Foamies all 9MM Deppron 40" Edge 300. (3 min 35 sec)

Spent 1/2 the evening looking for the attachment cord for my Flip Phone.
Note to self. It is important to remember that Flip share directly plugs into computer and remember this little fact BEFORE uncorking the Jack Daniels!
Old Oct 10, 2011, 03:19 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Jan 2007
919 Posts
yak 55M

Hi all, I'm not a DW foamie owner yet, but getting close.

I don't see many recent posts on the 55M. is it rather new?

is it worth the extra $ over the 54?

thanks,
tim
twilkers is offline Find More Posts by twilkers
Old Oct 10, 2011, 06:32 PM
Gonna need a bigger plane . .
Kitsap County, WA, USA
Joined Jul 2007
2,951 Posts
You are talking about the 38" Yak vs the 40" Yak 55 I think? The 55M was pretty popular for a while, but the Juka is back in vogue. I think the 40" kit is worth the extra money, the 9mm is more durable than the 6mm on the 38".

Ok and there's the 55" kits. Here's my Juka, fresh from a victory over the NY Football Giants.
FlopGun is offline Find More Posts by FlopGun
Last edited by FlopGun; Oct 10, 2011 at 06:41 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 07:20 PM
Mesquite Tx
Joined Jan 2008
263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris arena View Post

edge 300?

Nice flying BTW
Bigugly is offline Find More Posts by Bigugly
Old Oct 10, 2011, 07:45 PM
Joined Feb 2011
186 Posts
i did a small thread on the 40" yak 55m a few months ago. it's great plane, can do any 3-d manuver you want to do!!!
i havn't got a chance to fly the 54 but the 55 is great!!! a buddy of mine who can do just about anything you could ever want to do can really make my 55 do stuff i never thought it could do!! him and myself have flew about every foamie out there and both our thoughts are that the 55 is the best!!! the 9mm wing really makes a diffrence over a 6mm wing and now the 40" kits are all 9mm foam, where they use to heve 6m fusesand 9mm wings, i have the 40" all depron Extra 300L in the new all 9mm foam and the 9mm foam really makes a diffrence!!!
my yak 55m is also all depron kit

Mikey
Old Oct 11, 2011, 02:50 AM
Gig Harbor, WA.
Joined Jul 2010
159 Posts
Sim. training on Pheonix

Spent about 1.hr tonight on the Pheonix Sim Foamy training module on the torque / hover training module. Mostly just working on throttle and rudder from all sides. Man. I can really respect what it takes to develop solid 3D skills. Plane is a 38" Yak Foamy on my sim. Getting the rudder control is definately the hardest to master for me!

Tons of fun though, After the last 2 nights of practice, I can see that eventually I'll get it. Man! I though learning to hover a heli was tough! hovering a 3D foamy is even tougher! At least on the sim it is.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 07:26 AM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,672 Posts
It's not as hard as you think. I can pull into a hover almost without thinking about it.

Now, setting up a plane to hover hands-off? That's dang near impossible (to me, at least).
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710