View Poll Results: Which one for first DLG.
Mini DLG Pro w/Ailerons Balsa 3 25.00%
Hobby King Mini DLG Composite 1000mm 3 25.00%
Eflite UMX Whipit 6 50.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 05, 2015, 11:22 AM
Find More Posts by oned
Indonesia, East Java, Surabaya
Joined Feb 2006
36 Posts
Poll
Which one for first DLG. HK mini DLG pro vs HK mini DLG composite VS Eflite Whipit

Hi

I am looking to buy my first DLG, I flew electric planes for more than 5 years. I also fly heli and also have 1 electric sailpane.

I want to keep it to below $180 and 1m wingspan. Which one do you think is the best among these 3:

Hobby King Mini DLG Pro w/Ailerons Balsa
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...90mm_PNF_.html
Name: 61386.jpg
Views: 39
Size: 78.1 KB
Description:

Mini DLG Composite 1000mm
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...00mm_PNF_.html
Name: 44321(3).jpg
Views: 37
Size: 116.9 KB
Description:

Eflite UMX Whipit
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...=EFLU3150#home
Name: umx-whipit-front-left.jpg
Views: 43
Size: 8.3 KB
Description:

Thank you
oned is offline Find More Posts by oned
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2015, 11:29 AM
Find More Posts by Thermaln2
Transplant Chey WY from Reno
Reno Nevada
Joined Oct 2007
2,909 Posts
Personally, the Whipit is too light and while the BNFs are nice to fly, this one is a little too small and fragile. If I were to buy one of the three, I'd do the MiniDLG with the foam wing. It might be a slight be heavier but would be more forgiving and closer to the bigger planes. The balsa winged DLG is really nice as well, but you might overstress it with huge launches. The pod is really nice from a builder's/designer's pointof view.

Chris
Thermaln2 is offline Find More Posts by Thermaln2
Old Jun 05, 2015, 12:28 PM
Find More Posts by Richard S
Stream Team Models - Pilot
Milton Keynes, UK
Joined Oct 2005
1,427 Posts
Yup. Mini composite is the best bet. Arguably the ugliest too
Richard S is offline Find More Posts by Richard S
Old Jun 05, 2015, 01:53 PM
Find More Posts by Rewinged
FF lift master...sometimes
United States, OR, West Linn
Joined Feb 2010
230 Posts
You will quickly want something else, but the Whipit is really great. It is too small, depending on your criteria (too light to get back upwind very well in more than a light breeze) but I certainly don't find it to be fragile. I'm sure I have 200-300 flights on mine by now, and I throw it pretty hard:

See post 768 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...335017&page=52

The only issues I have had were a very minor fuselage crack, easily fixed with a touch of CA, and a slight dent in the wing LE after hitting lacrosse goal (bad depth perception.) Both of these were significant pilot error, and not a Whipit issue.

If possible, I would get the Whipit as well as a larger, heavier plane, because it is cheap, flies really well for what it is, and you can fly it anywhere. I fly it at a local schoolyard or park where I will not fly my 1.5m. I'll get another Whipit when/if I lose or destroy this one.
Rewinged is offline Find More Posts by Rewinged
Old Jun 05, 2015, 03:08 PM
Find More Posts by sp00fman
Looptastic!
Enschede, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,698 Posts
The wood non-aileron might also be an option. an R/E dihedral mini is plenty maneuverable for me to get consistent hand catches.

Downside of wood it might not take landings in damp grass well. That is what eventually retired my HK Birdplane (Cow-plane).

The foam one i have seen in person. It looks decent. Dents should steam right out. Bit steep price for what it is/how it is finished but still a good option.
The guy from Rcmodelreviews was not exhillerated bout the foam model, but he got a warped wing set. He likes his wood version just as well for lower costs.

I think all options will give you a lot of fun.
Lots of Heli pilots here. Soaring and throwing is fun.
sp00fman is offline Find More Posts by sp00fman
Old Jun 06, 2015, 09:20 AM
Find More Posts by oned
Indonesia, East Java, Surabaya
Joined Feb 2006
36 Posts
Thank you for the suggestions.

Currently I'm leaning towards the composite one, because it looks more durable and closer to the 1.5m dlg that I want to get latter. The only concern Im having now is the very tight cockpit.

Do you guys prefer elevator - aileron or elevator - rudder setup?
oned is offline Find More Posts by oned
Old Jun 06, 2015, 09:34 AM
Find More Posts by elkski
United States, UT, Sandy
Joined May 2013
4,659 Posts
Get a 70$ whip it and save for a 1.5 m dlg
elkski is offline Find More Posts by elkski
Old Jun 06, 2015, 10:21 AM
Find More Posts by rhoon
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Nov 2004
293 Posts
No DLG is going to survive a bad crash without significant repairs needed. The Whippit absorbs newbie mistakes better because it is so light and has little momentum to really damage itself beyond repair with a nose-in. I recommend learning hand-launch with the Whippit, which is cheap and a small investment, and if you get hooked, save up for a solid used 1.5 composite DLG. Unless a newbie has local experts to help build and set-up a composite DLG, it will become daunting with high chance of being set-up poorly with catastrophic failure.
Just IMO of course
rhoon is offline Find More Posts by rhoon
Old Jun 07, 2015, 10:58 PM
Find More Posts by markhonda
Get off your phone and FLY!!
United States, WI, Muskego
Joined Feb 2014
279 Posts
I actually ordered a mini dlg pro, the purple one with ailerons, about a month ago from HK east warehouse. Well I finally got it yesterday and they sent me the yellow one which is rudder, elevator. Instead of wasting time sending it back, then waiting another month for it, I just threw it together. The one with ailerons might also make the wing heavier so I just figured I'd keep it. Once I got the hang of it after a few light tosses, I gave it a discus launch and it flew really well. im having trouble circling around and bringing it back to me, but, I think that will come with practice. I was able to do a couple hand catches. I just have to figure out how to put the rudder control on my right stick on my dx8. Having them on separate sticks is not working out for me. That's why I wanted the one with ailerons in the first place.
markhonda is offline Find More Posts by markhonda
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 08, 2015, 03:10 AM
Find More Posts by sp00fman
Looptastic!
Enschede, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,698 Posts
Just plug the rudder servo in the aileron channel on the Rx?
I found my R/E mini to perform and handle the best with the CG as far back as possible, but still make it pull up very slightly by itself when doing a 45degree dive.

The next mini with polyhedral wing does fly and handle better. it is easier to turn flatter.
sp00fman is offline Find More Posts by sp00fman
Old Jun 08, 2015, 06:45 AM
Find More Posts by markhonda
Get off your phone and FLY!!
United States, WI, Muskego
Joined Feb 2014
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00fman View Post
Just plug the rudder servo in the aileron channel on the Rx?
I found my R/E mini to perform and handle the best with the CG as far back as possible, but still make it pull up very slightly by itself when doing a 45degree dive.

The next mini with polyhedral wing does fly and handle better. it is easier to turn flatter.
Oh yeah! What a good idea. I knew there was a simple way to do it. I'll try that later. Thanks
markhonda is offline Find More Posts by markhonda
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 30, 2015, 04:16 PM
Find More Posts by derfnam01
Vienna, Austria
Joined May 2010
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhonda View Post
I just have to figure out how to put the rudder control on my right stick on my dx8. ...
Just mix Ail to Rudd - and you will have rudder on both sticks!
Thats what I've done.
derfnam01 is offline Find More Posts by derfnam01