New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 01, 2015, 03:30 PM
Find More Posts by MD_Mogge
Joined Jul 2015
93 Posts
Nice work! The fuselage looks very smooth. And the landing gear struts looks perfect. I want a pair of those, they would fit my MD-87 perfect. Did you by them from Hobby King?
MD_Mogge is offline Find More Posts by MD_Mogge
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2015, 06:32 PM
Find More Posts by ruff1
A Day @ a Time - Matt. 6:25-34
North AL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
2,073 Posts
Thanks...

Yes I did... Got lucky on the length, they came out about right, about 1.5 inches ground clearance on the props.

I also bought the retracts from HK after the ChangeSuns didn't work. They are very nice.
ruff1 is offline Find More Posts by ruff1
Old Sep 03, 2015, 08:33 PM
Find More Posts by PC Pilot
United States, AL, Phenix City
Joined May 2013
391 Posts
I am consistently amazed with the size of airplanes that can be flown with such tiny motors.

Save me a front row seat for the maiden.
PC Pilot is offline Find More Posts by PC Pilot
Old Sep 04, 2015, 07:11 AM
Find More Posts by ruff1
North AL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
2,073 Posts
Yep, a 9x3 prop on 3S with this motor produces roughly 28 ounces of thrust. X2 gives me 56, auw will be approximately 72 ounces. Actual power measured at 71 watts per pound with not so optimal batteries, she should be scale like with max speed of 48 knots. A bit over scale power-wise, with enough to get back from downwind situations. I have a trainer that came in at 65 watts, she isn't fast but can get back to you.

With electrics the way they are I probably won't mess with any gassers.
Old Sep 04, 2015, 07:23 PM
Find More Posts by demondriver
Up-Out-&-Gone
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Mar 2007
17,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff1 View Post
Yep, a 9x3 prop on 3S with this motor produces roughly 28 ounces of thrust. X2 gives me 56, auw will be approximately 72 ounces. Actual power measured at 71 watts per pound with not so optimal batteries, she should be scale like with max speed of 48 knots. A bit over scale power-wise, with enough to get back from downwind situations. I have a trainer that came in at 65 watts, she isn't fast but can get back to you.

With electrics the way they are I probably won't mess with any gassers.
She's light, and you've given her plenty of power to spare Kev!

Looking superb!
demondriver is offline Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flying Star Wars BB-8 Droid!
Old Oct 10, 2015, 02:15 PM
Find More Posts by ruff1
North AL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
2,073 Posts
Slooow progress...

One of my flying buddies used his 3D printer to print out the proper size nose gear fork. Getting something the proper size kept running into dead ends unless I put out lots of money. The first one isn't quite right with the attachment point to the strut, so he is printing me another.

Now that I have the nose gear fork, I can retract the gear and then measure up to complete the cockpit area. The nose will stretch out a bit from scale, hope it still looks OK and doesn't affect the flying characteristics.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 12:55 AM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Joined Mar 2007
17,793 Posts
Quote:
Slooow progress...

One of my flying buddies used his 3D printer to print out the proper size nose gear fork. Getting something the proper size kept running into dead ends unless I put out lots of money. The first one isn't quite right with the attachment point to the strut, so he is printing me another.

Now that I have the nose gear fork, I can retract the gear and then measure up to complete the cockpit area. The nose will stretch out a bit from scale, hope it still looks OK and doesn't affect the flying characteristics.
Love your 404's nosegear Kev! Looking great!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2015, 08:46 AM
Find More Posts by ruff1
North AL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
2,073 Posts
Bump...

OK, bumping the thread...

Not a lot of progress, one of my flying buddies printed out a nose gear fork plus he had one printed online for about $8. The one he got online isn't as stout as the one he printed but it is much smoother.

You'll see in the pic that I had to extend the nose about two inches to allow full clearance for the strut.

I need to get on to filling in the nose area.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 09:53 AM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Joined Mar 2007
17,793 Posts
Quote:
OK, bumping the thread...

Not a lot of progress, one of my flying buddies printed out a nose gear fork plus he had one printed online for about $8. The one he got online isn't as stout as the one he printed but it is much smoother.

You'll see in the pic that I had to extend the nose about two inches to allow full clearance for the strut.

I need to get on to filling in the nose area.
Looking superb Kev! A thought . . . . couldn't you shave 2 inches off the nosegear Strut?
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2015, 05:01 PM
Find More Posts by ruff1
North AL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
2,073 Posts
I thought about that... It would work if I brought the gear down some. I chose this route so I wouldn't have to mess with relocating the retract. I'll give it some more thought.