Old Jan 04, 2016, 12:48 PM
Find More Posts by Daedalus66
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
19,723 Posts
I think the modification to the tip floats is on the right track. Just needs work with a sanding block to smooth the transition from upswept front to bottom. Also removal of sharp corner.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2016, 11:15 PM
Find More Posts by Drra
Joined Sep 2015
206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Smythe View Post
I ordered my Ultra on Dec 5 and received it today, Dec 31st. After banging around in the Chinese and Canadian mail I was expecting the usual tail damage.

Pleasant surprise....NO damage. In addition they have changed the elevator servo to bring the action out the side of the nacelle and covered it neatly with a thin white plastic plate.....Bravo for Lander!

In looking at the many videos of the Ultra taking off, once in a while I have seen a wingtip catch and the model slewing abruptly about 45 degrees.
In hopes of cutting down on this tendency I have decided to cut away the bottom corner of the tip floats to, in effect, extend the bottom of the leading edge of the wing. Do you think it will help?

Attached is a photo of the new elevator servo and one of the tip float before cutting the bottom corner.

it would have been grate to see the box it came in and the measurements of that box too.I hope you will upload some videos.
Drra is offline Find More Posts by Drra
Old Jan 09, 2016, 08:05 AM
Find More Posts by Barry Smythe
eagleflyer
Joined Dec 2014
62 Posts
ultra box

Sorry, I threw out the box and did not think to video the unboxing.

There have been lots of reports on this forum of tail damage. Lander must have researched the problem because when I opened the box (expecting damage) I noticed they had used 2" transparent tape to pin the fuselage down to the false bottom (wings under). One tiny servo control arm nut was missing. Banggood customer service was right on it and are sending me a replacement. They appeared very helpful.

The box was approx. 48" x 18" x 10" and was covered with orange/tan tape running lengthwise. I did see pictures of the box and insides on either this forum or the one on the SkipperXL.

The Banggood Ultra by Lander is by far the best value in my opinion, when shipping is included.
Barry Smythe is offline Find More Posts by Barry Smythe
Old Jan 09, 2016, 12:58 PM
Find More Posts by robschonk
United States, NC, Avon
Joined Sep 2012
432 Posts
Hers an unboxing video. Pretty good box, but the fuselage wasn't secure and the rudder broke. I think Banggood has fixed that issue.

DutchRC - HobbyKing Skipper XL - Unboxing + Build! :) (26 min 46 sec)
robschonk is offline Find More Posts by robschonk
Old Jan 28, 2016, 12:53 PM
Find More Posts by Rups63
United States, WI, Oconomowoc
Joined Sep 2015
71 Posts
I'm buying the HK version from my friend 2nd hand and it is coming to me bone stock. I've read that the 1000 kv motor is subpar for the 3s 2200 30C batteries I have, so I plan on upgrading it with some items I have on hand.

Will this motor work well with an APC 8x6 or 8x8 prop?

Thanks!
Rups63 is online now Find More Posts by Rups63
Old Jan 28, 2016, 02:30 PM
Find More Posts by robkit
Sweden
Sweden, Västra Götaland County, Gothenburg
Joined Apr 2015
158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rups63 View Post
I'm buying the HK version from my friend 2nd hand and it is coming to me bone stock. I've read that the 1000 kv motor is subpar for the 3s 2200 30C batteries I have, so I plan on upgrading it with some items I have on hand.

Will this motor work well with an APC 8x6 or 8x8 prop?

Thanks!
It might if your config is light, I would recomend some more power reserve. But if that is what you have, just try and se. /Rob
robkit is offline Find More Posts by robkit
Old Jan 28, 2016, 05:19 PM
Find More Posts by Cougar429
Canada, ON, Windsor
Joined Apr 2008
1,872 Posts
I finally put my M/A Ultra on the build table this week and am nearly finished setting up a hatch latch. This required hogging out the rather large joiner behind the bulkhead and cutting an opening to accurately fit the latch.

Have a light aircraft ply former now inset into the bulkhead and one will be bonded to the back of the canopy. The pin fits tightly through both so should do a good job of keeping it on despite the loads.

Will have pics later, but was hoping someone could do closeups of how this new Skipper is set up to retain the hatch. Would like to compare to what I came up with.
Cougar429 is online now Find More Posts by Cougar429
Old Jan 31, 2016, 07:50 AM
Canada, ON, Windsor
Joined Apr 2008
1,872 Posts
As promised, here are the mods. Not really difficult, the most effort put into accurately positioning the latch till the bond cured.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 03:37 PM
eagleflyer
Joined Dec 2014
62 Posts
In case it helps anyone who intends to fly their Polaris Ultra mainly from water as I do, here are the mods I made to mine.
1. Dug out the aileron servo and replaced it with 2 wing mounted servos. Glued the servos into the holes flush with top surface. Sealed the glue joints to keep out water, Filled the remaining open hole at crank end with lithium grease.
The next problem was to find servo covers. Ordered the HK ones but when they came they were too heavy (5g ea) so had to make my own with .02 styrene sheet by vacuforming. In case anyone wants to make a forming jig, all I will say here is that I made a small one out of an expensive wine bottle wood box (with the sliding lid). Found I had to make a small frame for holding the sheet (stapled to wood frame) and after a few spoiled attempts, made them successfully (oven temp 400F)
Pictures show the covers and the top mounted pushrods,
Plugged the unused below wing aileron pushrod holes with white gorilla glue at both ends. Squeezed lithium grease into the rudder pushrod exit hole. Previously has dipped the receiver, satellite receiver, motor and ESC in CorrosionX.
I know from experience that sooner or later it will get dunked and want to do what I can to immunize my plane from water damage.
Those small black marks opposite the rear of the covers mark the C of G over the step.
Last edited by Barry Smythe; Jan 31, 2016 at 03:41 PM. Reason: addition of last sentence
Old Jan 31, 2016, 05:19 PM
Canada, ON, Windsor
Joined Apr 2008
1,872 Posts
Parkflyer Plastics makes these:

http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/in...roducts_id=315
Old Jan 31, 2016, 09:03 PM
eagleflyer
Joined Dec 2014
62 Posts
The height needed for mine is a touch over 3/8" so these would cause binding of the arm. I did order a set from arthobby.com but they too were not high enough. Too much money wasted so I had to make my own.
It was not as easy as I thought it would be.
Old Feb 01, 2016, 07:59 AM
Find More Posts by kingsflyer
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,902 Posts
Gary over at Morgan Mill makes a huge array of servo covers in all heights and lengths.

http://morganmill.com/RC/Servo_Covers_&_Fairings.html

He's also a great guy to deal with.

McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Feb 01, 2016, 08:42 AM
eagleflyer
Joined Dec 2014
62 Posts
Thanks, Kingsflyer and Cougar. I looked on Google (servo covers) and could not find these.

Would've, should've could've asked on this thread.

Oh well, at least I learned a bit..
Old Feb 01, 2016, 11:21 AM
Find More Posts by BrownEyedFool
You're killin' me Smalls
United States, NJ, Hillsborough Township
Joined Sep 2011
2,117 Posts
Started my build, Scott has been a big help. Spent some time with tweezers and needle nose pliers working on the hefty glob of glue in the bottom of the nacelle where the motor wires and servo extension leaves the pylon. Gonna be a long battle to get that all clear.
BrownEyedFool is offline Find More Posts by BrownEyedFool
Old Feb 15, 2016, 01:02 PM
Find More Posts by robkit
Sweden
Sweden, Västra Götaland County, Gothenburg
Joined Apr 2015
158 Posts
Gentlemen
Have anyone tried to modify and add flaps ?
//Rob
robkit is offline Find More Posts by robkit