New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2016, 12:09 PM
Find More Posts by PeteSco
Joined Dec 2015
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrsavage View Post
This 107L is a POC. Starting to really notice the lack of power compared to my previous one..

Edit - A new 107C 2.0 would cost about 65. Is there anything in that price range for mostly indoor flying which is better value for money?
Maybe you missed my post but you can actually get the 107C 2.0 for $50 which is less than 50..
PeteSco is offline Find More Posts by PeteSco
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2016, 12:22 PM
Find More Posts by saintz
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Jan 2016
43 Posts
Quote:
This 107L is a POC. Starting to really notice the lack of power compared to my previous one..

Edit - A new 107C 2.0 would cost about 65. Is there anything in that price range for mostly indoor flying which is better value for money?
The Bayangtoys X9 (or the very similar Eachine CG023) at $20-$30 is way better indoors than the Hubsan X4. Much better power to weight ratio, much less destructive (to itself and others) if it hits something, quieter, much easier to control and less twitchy.

Not as fast outdoors, though, due to less pitch rate, and the light weight makes it much less stable in moderate to heavy wind. Hubsan is faster and more stable outdoors in wind.
saintz is online now Find More Posts by saintz
Old Jan 27, 2016, 12:25 PM
Joined Jan 2016
43 Posts
I am having issues with the Hubsan sometimes crashing after changing direction. I am in expert mode with anti-flip mode turned on, so it shouldn't flip over.

Sometimes when I change direction rapidly, the quad will spin out. It flips over and just rolls and wobbles straight down into the ground. Does anyone else get this? The problem is that it doesn't always do it, so it's hard to tell when you've pushed it too hard and it will crash.

My only guess was it is dependent on the direction change. If I go straight forward and then hard back, it will normally brake and reverse direction very well. Same for side to side. But if I go at an angle, like forward and right at full throttle, and then slam it back and left, it is more likely to just flip and somersault into the ground uncontrollably.

My guess here was maybe forward to reverse, it is using two motors to change direction, whereas at an angle it really only can use one motor to change direction. Is this the cause, and if so is there a name for this and is it common to other quads?
Old Jan 27, 2016, 12:26 PM
Find More Posts by Herrsavage
Joined Sep 2013
2,837 Posts
Just saw a thread about the Eachine H8 mini, which looked very intriguing...

I guess I have to admit, I DID like taking my old Hubsan outside on occasion. This new one though would be useless I think - no power to counter wind at all. I think it'd just float away.. Thanks for the tips though - I'll check some of these things out..

Edit - Just checked out the X9. I don't think I like the look of it. I didn't like the Blade Nano thing either(bought one and returned it and got the Hubsan..) - they seemed too slight. I liked that my first Hubsan seemed to have some quality and substance to it.
Herrsavage is offline Find More Posts by Herrsavage
Old Jan 27, 2016, 12:36 PM
Joined Jan 2016
43 Posts
Quote:

I guess I have to admit, I DID like taking my old Hubsan outside on occasion. This new one though would be useless I think - no power to counter wind at all. I think it'd just float away.. Thanks for the tips though - I'll check some of these things out..
I haven't tried the H8, but probably will. I think it's really similar to the X9/CG023. These are supposed to work really well indoors. They fly good outside in light wind.

I think the Hubsan is a jack of all trades, master of none. It's heavy and given how quickly new models are announced, it's older technology. You might be better served having a small H8 or X9 for indoor and a larger quad for outdoor.

My X9 is definitely better indoors. The Hubsan is still the best outdoor quad I have. But I'm looking at a XK Alien X250, which is bigger but still inexpensive and I think will beat the Hubsan outdoors. The Nihui U807 also looks promising.

I think having two cheap quads, one indoor and one outdoor, makes sense and is still relatively inexpensive. You can use each for what it's good at. If I could only have one, the Hubsan would be the best blend, but I don't have to have only one.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 03:28 PM
Joined Jan 2016
43 Posts
Quote:
Edit - Just checked out the X9. I don't think I like the look of it. I didn't like the Blade Nano thing either(bought one and returned it and got the Hubsan..) - they seemed too slight. I liked that my first Hubsan seemed to have some quality and substance to it.
Looks are deceiving here.

Crashing the Hubsan breaks a prop. Crashing the X9, the prop just falls off and you stick it back on. The X9 arms appear much more fragile, but they are actually the opposite, they give and bend instead of breaking.

The Hubsan carries more mass behind it, and the arms are stronger which actually makes them more likely to break because they can't bend.

I thought the same thing until I tried both, now I realize low mass = less damage and thinks that look fragile actually bend, while things that look sturdy actually break.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 03:32 PM
Joined Sep 2013
2,837 Posts
I know - that was the same argument with the Blade Nano. But I didn't like the way it felt. I have doubts that something so light can fly with the kind of precision and authority I would want.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 03:49 PM
Find More Posts by llasov
Penny. Penny. Penny
United States, MD, Reisterstown
Joined Dec 2012
342 Posts
Quote:
I know - that was the same argument with the Blade Nano. But I didn't like the way it felt. I have doubts that something so light can fly with the kind of precision and authority I would want.
I tend not to fly the Nano as much. I like to fly in the evenings and the lights, of course, come in handy. Even when indoors I fly the Hubsan and the JJRC-1000
llasov is offline Find More Posts by llasov
Old Jan 28, 2016, 01:07 AM
Find More Posts by CountDuckula
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jan 2016
8 Posts
Quote:

Just wondering, what colours are the LEDs on your new/weak x4 H107L?
I received mine about a month ago and it fly's great outside in the wind in 'expert' mode. It has blue LEDs on the front and red on the back.

I ordered another recently, has not arrived yet, and noticed the ebay listing (and hubsan website: http://www.hubsan.com/productinfo_16.html) now show blue and green LEDs.

Hopefully your poor perfomer is just faulty, rather than a sign of a newer, inferior, model.

The X4s certainly take a fair beating. It's my first quad and I've been flying it without the prop guard since the 2nd day I had it. Have cartwheeled it down the street and just had to clip the 'breakaway' arm parts back together.
CountDuckula is offline Find More Posts by CountDuckula
Old Jan 28, 2016, 01:12 AM
Joined Sep 2013
2,837 Posts
Red and blue here. Defo lacks vertical punch.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 01:45 AM
Find More Posts by CountDuckula
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jan 2016
8 Posts
Quote:
Red and blue here. Defo lacks vertical punch.
That sucks, hopefully my new one will be the same as the first.
So it's just the overall throttle power that is lacking? Are the rates the same as your good one? I received my H107P yesterday and along with the horrible altitude hold the rates in 'expert' are closer to the 'normal/beginner' mode on the H107L.

I notice that my H107L flies a bit better with the included battery than some cheap spares, but it's fine with any of them.
CountDuckula is offline Find More Posts by CountDuckula
Old Jan 28, 2016, 08:43 AM
Joined Sep 2013
2,837 Posts
Rates are lower.

It flies OK in advanced mode - the flip function is kind of annoying if you're getting crazy indoors and yanking on the sticks a lot and don't necessarily want to flip.

I think I'm mangling props more with that stupid prop guard wobbling around on there. Need a prop guard though indoors with kids..

Vertical punch is minimal.

Flight time is better than the older one. So there is that...
Old Jan 28, 2016, 03:17 PM
Joined Jan 2016
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintz View Post
I am having issues with the Hubsan sometimes crashing after changing direction. I am in expert mode with anti-flip mode turned on, so it shouldn't flip over.

Sometimes when I change direction rapidly, the quad will spin out. It flips over and just rolls and wobbles straight down into the ground. Does anyone else get this? The problem is that it doesn't always do it, so it's hard to tell when you've pushed it too hard and it will crash.
Ok, I tested the Hubsan against the Bayang X9 (only other similar quad I have to test).

I can hold the X9 upside down at head height, drop it, max the throttle, and it will flip itself before it hits the ground. It revs up the front two motors and keeps the rears off until it rights itself, then fires up the rear motors to remain stable.

The Hubsan, if I drop or even throw it up (to give it more height to work with) upside down, it power spirals into the ground. Maybe 1 in 10 times it can right itself, but generally it starts randomly spinning motors trying to get right side up but ends up just spinning into the ground even harder. I think the flight controller just isn't designed well enough to recover after going over 90* unless it has enough momentum to keep going to 270*.

I don't mean to be too critical, it's a really fast and fun copter but not without issues.