New Products Flash Sale
Old Today, 02:18 AM
Find More Posts by ProfitOfDoom
CLEVELAND,OHIO
Joined Feb 2003
481 Posts
I ordered the ESC and batteries,Im going for that leopard motor but having a hard time finding a 24mm water jacket to fit it "In the USA anyway" But I ran across a vid where a guy showed how to fit a 28mm jacket on a 24mm motor using a #17 O-ring found at local hardware stores. I see a few 28mm jackets on ebay,Is this a good idea to do this,any problems?
ProfitOfDoom is online now Find More Posts by ProfitOfDoom
Last edited by ProfitOfDoom; Today at 02:26 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Today, 02:45 AM
Find More Posts by AirDOGGe
Just Plane Nutts
United States, CA, Mountain View
Joined Dec 2011
423 Posts
I posted a link to a 24mm jacket earlier today: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...m_Purple_.html
AirDOGGe is online now Find More Posts by AirDOGGe
Old Today, 03:33 AM
CLEVELAND,OHIO
Joined Feb 2003
481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirDOGGe View Post
I posted a link to a 24mm jacket earlier today: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...m_Purple_.html
I tried to add it to my cart, but it wasn't available on the hobbyking usa stores, Only on the international store.
Old Today, 04:32 AM
Just Plane Nutts
Joined Dec 2011
423 Posts
That's true of a lot of boat-related things at HK, including propellers. There's not a lot of option in 24mm.

There's a silicone-based cooling jacket at OffShoreElectrics that says it fits motors from 20mm to 28mm diameter, but I don't know much about it.

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...+Water+Cooling

Scroll down to "Silicone water jacket for 300 Size Motors"

Quote:
In Stock: 4

Water Jacket for 300 Sized Motors.
Measures 15 mm wide
Fits 20mm to 28mm Diameter Motors

Price: $16.99
Old Today, 08:53 AM
Find More Posts by sundogz
Platinum Card Member
United States, AR
Joined Sep 2007
684 Posts
It's the coupler!

No need to get hung up and limit motor selection because of the 2.3mm shaft size. The one problem this stock boat has is the crappy coupler. It is the cause of vibration and possible shaft bore wear. Consider this is how SicRc started out by marketing a flex shaft arrangement to help this problem (it may cause even more problems, so I wouldn't consider it). The stock coupler should be discarded and replaced with an aftermarket, better quality coupler which can be purchased in most size(s) you want, from many different vendors - even ebay. This increases the options for motors in the right rpm range. Just search the size you're looking for, i.e. 2.3 x 3mm, 3.1mm x 2.3mm etc. Outside dimensions won't (usually) matter, but make sure it is long enough.

It appears that SicRc has closed down, at least for the time being. Others have tried to contact Steve in the last couple months with no answer. I hope all is well with him.
sundogz is offline Find More Posts by sundogz
Last edited by sundogz; Today at 11:59 AM. Reason: needed to lighten up a bit!
Old Today, 01:04 PM
Just Plane Nutts
Joined Dec 2011
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundogz View Post
Outside dimensions won't (usually) matter, but make sure it is long enough.
It has to fit with this narrow space, doesn't it? How do you fit a larger-than-stock one? Do you cut away the plastic?
When I made mine, I had to watch the outer diameter when I selected the aluminum rod to use.

Old Today, 02:35 PM
Find More Posts by Kayaker
Joined May 2014
30 Posts
I am very sad that SicRC is no longer making jet boats. Steve was the only one making an ABS hull that is strong enough for my application. I run my boat an hour a day, 3-5 days a week, all year long, always in rapids bashing rocks. I believe I just past 450 hours of river time. There are some very nice glass hulls made by Mickie Beez and KMB that a 28mm jet drive will fit but glass hulls don't like rocks. I like the shape of the NQD (HIPS plastic?) 410mm hull and I can make it stronger by putting a very thick layer of ShoeGoo on the inside but it is very hard to fit a proper 28mm jet in this hull. For my application the 20mm, poorly designed NQD jet, even with lots of modifications is still a toy. I am hopeful that Mickie Beez will fill the vacuum with an ABS version of his hull.

This is just my opinion and may not apply to most people that will only run a boat for a few hours before moving on to the next project.
Kayaker is online now Find More Posts by Kayaker
Old Today, 04:10 PM
Find More Posts by sundogz
Platinum Card Member
United States, AR
Joined Sep 2007
684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirDOGGe View Post
It has to fit with this narrow space, doesn't it? How do you fit a larger-than-stock one? Do you cut away the plastic?
When I made mine, I had to watch the outer diameter when I selected the aluminum rod to use.
Lol, store-bought couplers that are 2.3 on one end are usually small enough to fit. That won't be a problem.
sundogz is offline Find More Posts by sundogz
Old Today, 04:12 PM
Find More Posts by Youngsta
United Kingdom, England, Manchester
Joined Sep 2013
139 Posts
I'll be making some more 2mm abs hulls in the spring,,
but you can still buy the very best in model jet drive units,
they are only a few more $'s than the others drives that have the plastic props, no thrust bearing or integrated cooling nipple,
so really they are the only drive to buy if you care about price and performance,
here's my email, brinksman67@hotmail.com
and a video of the sorts of fun you could have with one of my drives,
BOATS ROCK and RIVERS ROLL (3 min 3 sec)
Youngsta is offline Find More Posts by Youngsta
Old Today, 08:23 PM
CLEVELAND,OHIO
Joined Feb 2003
481 Posts
I was wondering what the general size of tubing would be use when im hooking up water lines to the motor and esc. I wanted to order a water outlet nipple but I see they come in a few different sizes and wasnt sure which one to get,I see on OSE they have 7/32 or 1/4 and I see on ebay they come in M6 or M8, Im assuming there the same sizes as mentioned above?

This is the water jacket I ordered... http://www.ebay.com/itm/390628701942...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

And this is the esc I got.... http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...r_Cooling.html Thanks!
Old Today, 09:57 PM
Just Plane Nutts
Joined Dec 2011
423 Posts
3mm inside diameter tubing is what I use. 1/8" I.D. will do too.

I think this is what you are looking for. You'll have to scroll down the page a ways...

Standard Size Water Outlet machined aluminum with nut and o-ring. For use on 1/8 and 3mm tubing. $2.50
http://kintecracing.com/Water_Cooling_BQFJ.html
Last edited by AirDOGGe; Today at 10:06 PM.