New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 08, 2015, 05:18 PM
Find More Posts by jrosen9
Joined Jan 2015
1 Posts
Discussion
Scaling Down Plans

I've found some plans that I really like, however, they are too big for my use. I've scaled the plans down in a cad package and have started working on creating a model of all of the parts so I can see how everything goes together. As for thickness, I've made each part equivalent to the nearest 32nd for material purposes.

My question, is there anything I need to be concerned about when scaling down plans or should everything work out if I just scale the wood parts to the right size and size the prop motor battery etc to the right size should everything work out?

Thanks,

Joshua
jrosen9 is offline Find More Posts by jrosen9
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2015, 05:37 PM
Find More Posts by Jim Young
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,969 Posts
Hi josh,

I sounds like you are on the right track. A lot depends on how much you are scaling down, and you can get into a situation where things are over designed. For example. if you were going from a 50"wing span to a 25" wing span, the smaller model would probably be too heavy. If you are going from 50"to 40", this approach should work fine.

-Jim
Jim Young is offline Find More Posts by Jim Young
Old Mar 08, 2015, 05:37 PM
Find More Posts by GeorgeG97322
Power Upward
United States, OR, Albany
Joined Jun 2007
1,449 Posts
My experience which comes mostly from free flight models is that you only need to be aware of areas where stress might be a factor and maybe you beef them up, or not. As for wood sizing you have done what I always do, just adjust to the nearest available wood size.

George
GeorgeG97322 is online now Find More Posts by GeorgeG97322
Old Mar 08, 2015, 06:29 PM
Find More Posts by pmullen503
United States, WI, Fond du Lac
Joined Sep 2008
1,773 Posts
Compare your scaled down plans to similar sized models to see if you are using similar structures . One thing to remember, larger aircraft are typically set up for internal combustion engines. Electrics can be built lighter because of less vibration and need to be because the heavier fuel (batteries).
pmullen503 is offline Find More Posts by pmullen503
Old Mar 09, 2015, 08:04 AM
Find More Posts by Captain Dunsel
United States, NJ, Browns Mills
Joined May 2005
2,204 Posts
I find it handy to keep a collection of other folks' models, to see how they did some of the engineering, and to see what sizes of wood to use.

If you go to the RCM Plans thread in this forum: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2233857
you'll find a large collection of models of varied size and structure, most of the plans and instructions being in .pdf format. I recommend collecting some of these and using them as reference.

CD
Captain Dunsel is offline Find More Posts by Captain Dunsel