Old Yesterday, 04:27 PM
Find More Posts by Depronicus
Altitude is my friend...
Southern California
Joined May 2009
1,689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richord View Post
I keep fracturing the original carbon landing gear during landings on my 51" slick...Any suggestions on...something else that may be stronger, cheaper or more flexible?
Have you done much soldering? Wire gear, done right, is really tough and can be flexible, and usually comes out not much heavier than stock LG setups. See below. The struts fit into brass tubes that are very heavily epoxied to the airframe.

If you're interested, I can give you more details.
Depronicus is offline Find More Posts by Depronicus
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 05:13 PM
Find More Posts by jimmy34256
Destructive Tester
Tampa, FL
Joined Apr 2008
1,457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Depronicus View Post
Have you done much soldering? Wire gear, done right, is really tough and can be flexible, and usually comes out not much heavier than stock LG setups. See below. The struts fit into brass tubes that are very heavily epoxied to the airframe.

If you're interested, I can give you more details.

Injunnewity....
jimmy34256 is online now Find More Posts by jimmy34256
Old Yesterday, 07:37 PM
Find More Posts by Bloosee
SoCal fair weather flyer
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
3,373 Posts
Quote:
I keep fracturing the original carbon landing gear during landings on my 51" slick. It's to the point now that I need to replace the gear. This last time even put a dent in the bottom of the frame. Any suggestions on simply getting the stock gear again or purchasing something else that may be stronger, cheaper or more flexible?
I think the stock gear is just fine. Mine held up for over a hundred flights, it wasn't until I got reckless with the plane and started doing harrier landings. As long as you just "land" normally the gear seems quite strong and durable.
Bloosee is offline Find More Posts by Bloosee
Old Yesterday, 09:07 PM
Find More Posts by ryan_m
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,667 Posts
Quote:
I keep fracturing the original carbon landing gear during landings on my 51" slick. It's to the point now that I need to replace the gear. This last time even put a dent in the bottom of the frame. Any suggestions on simply getting the stock gear again or purchasing something else that may be stronger, cheaper or more flexible?
If you don't mind about 20 minutes of work with a dremel sanding drum, the gear from an ExtremeFlight 60" Edge will work and be stronger. They are just wider in the mount base area, so use the dremel to knock a couple of millimeters off of it, and drill new mounting holes and you are done. I used a set of those on my last 51" Slick, and they work brilliantly.
http://www.extremeflightrc.com/store...roducts_id=145
just choose landing gear in the drop down box
ryan_m is offline Find More Posts by ryan_m
Old Today, 04:43 AM
Find More Posts by jimmy34256
Destructive Tester
Tampa, FL
Joined Apr 2008
1,457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_m View Post
If you don't mind about 20 minutes of work with a dremel sanding drum, the gear from an ExtremeFlight 60" Edge will work and be stronger. They are just wider in the mount base area, so use the dremel to knock a couple of millimeters off of it, and drill new mounting holes and you are done. I used a set of those on my last 51" Slick, and they work brilliantly.
http://www.extremeflightrc.com/store...roducts_id=145
just choose landing gear in the drop down box

Ryan do you know what the weight delta was?
jimmy34256 is online now Find More Posts by jimmy34256