Old Apr 11, 2015, 08:15 PM
Find More Posts by Tim B.
Joined Aug 2009
9,874 Posts
Old model boat steam engine

Nice old model steam engine:

VINTAGE STEAM ENGINE PARTS BOILER ETC. MODEL SHIP BOAT MARINE

Approximately US $105.51

"VINTAGE STEAM ENGINE PARTS BOILER ETC. MODEL SHIP BOAT THIS CAME WITH THE HULLS I AM SELLING THIS WEEK ALL SEEM IN GOOD CONDITION"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-STEA...item35e7e0ab27
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2015, 10:59 AM
Find More Posts by GamesOgre
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Feb 2014
122 Posts
Although $12k might be the insured or appraised value of a model of this caliber, it seems that a great professional craftsman will only fetch that price if commissioned directly by a museum, business, etc. Unfortunately, if the seller were to put this as an auction format on eBay, I doubt they'd get even a 1/10th the price. Each of our groups have some incredibly talented builders capable of making museum-quality models. Even those builders are lucky to get reimbursed for materials/supplies upon a sale, and the value of their time tends to go a wash as a labor of love.
GamesOgre is offline Find More Posts by GamesOgre
Old Apr 12, 2015, 02:15 PM
Find More Posts by woodybob
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,201 Posts
They're back...

http://captainsmodels.net/
woodybob is offline Find More Posts by woodybob
Old Apr 12, 2015, 03:33 PM
Find More Posts by capntroy
Keep a Steady Strain....
Orange County, CA
Joined Nov 2007
1,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GamesOgre View Post
Although $12k might be the insured or appraised value of a model of this caliber, it seems that a great professional craftsman will only fetch that price if commissioned directly by a museum, business, etc. Unfortunately, if the seller were to put this as an auction format on eBay, I doubt they'd get even a 1/10th the price. Each of our groups have some incredibly talented builders capable of making museum-quality models. Even those builders are lucky to get reimbursed for materials/supplies upon a sale, and the value of their time tends to go a wash as a labor of love.
More often than not, this is the case, but even if that Grand Banks was a commissioned piece, 12.6k is still a stretch.

No doubt, it's a fine model, but for that kind of coin, the model should be completely prototypical, and not have the sort of shortcuts as evidenced by the photos, i.e., wooden plugs used instead of glass gauges on the helm console, cheap Rivabo props used instead of handmade scale wheels, way oversized door hinges, etc.

The types of things that can be overlooked a modeler's personal build or even on an inexpensively built commission can't be overlooked when the builder is making himself sound like the second coming...
capntroy is offline Find More Posts by capntroy
Old Apr 12, 2015, 05:20 PM
Find More Posts by CaptCB
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2011
2,468 Posts
IF, you put a model (or a rare exotic car), up for a publicly disclosed price, YOU, and YOUR WORK, are open for comments. If the sale is private, then all parties win. As having spent the last 20+ years that I worked, building and repairing, high end exotic cars, I know. I also have done custom r/c boat building on occasion, I NEVER, discuss the time involved, or the costs, with anyone other than the models owner. Most of the car work I did, and, some of my model builds, (inc. my own) would shock most people, as to the costs! But good work, and quality parts, do not come cheap. BUT, it must truly BE, top quality work!!!
CaptCB is offline Find More Posts by CaptCB
Last edited by CaptCB; Apr 13, 2015 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Spelling error.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 06:44 PM
Find More Posts by patmat2350
Vita ex Machinis
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
13,026 Posts
If only there were more collectors who wanted that kind of quality in their model ships!

As it is is, there are plenty of folks who think $250 is too much for a model boat...
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Apr 12, 2015, 07:40 PM
Find More Posts by Tim B.
Joined Aug 2009
9,874 Posts
Aaaaaany way .........

Back on course:

A nice old PT, reported maiden voyage in 1962....

Worth it to a collector ?

We know things are worth what someone will pay ..

Vintage 1959 RC PT-182 Boat 55" Wood Ship Handmade with Remote Control Military

US $999.99

"A Huge Hand Crafted Boat At 55" Long, 14 3/4" Wide, 23" Tall at the Top of the Mast. Every Piece Including the Electronics and Controls are Hand Made Right Down to the Props. It is Sporting a Carl Goldberg Tone Pulse Receiver But the Transmitter was Hand Built.

Project Plans are from a 1959 Popular Mechanics Mag. The original Plans were for a 36 Inch Model But were enlarged to the 55 Inches it is Now.

It was a Two Year Build and had it's Maiden Voyage in 1962.

Included but Not Pictured is a 10" x 20" Glossy Photo of the Builder/Owner and what may be it's Maiden Voyage.

Has Nicks and Scratches. There are Several Age Cracks. I Believe the Only Thing Missing is a Couple of the Tiny Gun Sights. Click the Link and See all 40 Pictures. Untested. As Is for Art,Part or Repair. "

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1959...item35e6eb8c5a
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Last edited by Tim B.; Apr 12, 2015 at 08:14 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 08:22 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,468 Posts
Tim,

WE (Troy, Pat, and myself) were discussing the the same thing you are. What's it REALLY worth??? That IS why everyone is posting these items, correct? It is sure not because, THEY, are going to spend large sums of money, is it?
Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:45 AM
Find More Posts by King of Plane
Micro collector :+)
Joined May 2008
544 Posts
I'm sure you did not mean any disgrace when you stated Bear Brakes.
Most all know them (the brakes/components) to in fact be Baer Brakes. Some of the very best.
King of Plane is offline Find More Posts by King of Plane
Old Apr 13, 2015, 01:53 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,468 Posts
Oops,

Thank you, that just proves you should NOT post, when you are tired, and busy!