HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 23, 2014, 03:24 AM
United States, NY, Queens County
Joined Sep 2014
131 Posts
Do you think 6mmx14mm .8mm shaft motors will work on the nqx ?
WadzofQuadz is offline Find More Posts by WadzofQuadz
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2014, 02:33 PM
CRM 114 Certified
United States, CA, La Habra
Joined Feb 2014
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WadzofQuadz View Post
Do you think 6mmx14mm .8mm shaft motors will work on the nqx ?
Tough to say. Depends on the power those motors put out and what they're trying to lift. There's not that much headroom on the stock nQX (FC, motors, props, and frame) as it is. From your specs, you could use stock nQX props on those shafts.

I've been waiting for Benedikt to come out with a 6mm version of his Dream Catcher. I think that style frame, with an nQX FC and his 0615-14 motors, would really be something.
Lochenvar is offline Find More Posts by Lochenvar
Old Sep 25, 2014, 03:06 PM
Antisocial Curmudgeon
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Sep 2013
1,007 Posts
A couple wraps of tape around the 6mm motors would allow them to fit the 7mm frame.
Fyathyrio is offline Find More Posts by Fyathyrio
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My "bright" idea! :)
Old Sep 25, 2014, 03:50 PM
CRM 114 Certified
Joined Feb 2014
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyathyrio View Post
A couple wraps of tape around the 6mm motors would allow them to fit the 7mm frame.
I guess it would come down to weight. What's a stock nQX frame weigh??

The current 7mm Dream Catcher weighs 5.8 grams (note that motor mounts are not required). I was hoping that a 6mm sized frame would be proportionally smaller to save weight. We'll see what he comes up with.

Another way to go would be Woods' Efficiency II 100, carbon/birch, with the 6mm 3d mounts he's planning. The E-II frame weighs 3 grams and the 6mm 3d mounts would weigh in at something less than 0.2 grams each (the weight of the existing 7mm mounts). That's 3.8 grams and the frame is designed specifically for the nQX FC.

Either would scoot. But at some point I think you can get too lite and she'll shimmy like a stripper and be worthless, but I don't know where that point is. Especially if you fly in agility mode where the shimmy may not be a factor.

I'm just looking at winter coming and trying to piece together an indoor rocket. Currently it's hard to beat a guardless, canopyless nQX with 0615-14s. However once the 6mm Dream Catcher or 6mm 3d mounts are available that'll surely change.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 07:10 PM
Antisocial Curmudgeon
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Sep 2013
1,007 Posts
The trimmed NQX is likely a good bet...still have the durability and light weight, without the problematic split frame at the guard many develop. If one of the aftermarket setups is too light, then you can step up to the 200 or 250mah cells to balance it out.
Fyathyrio is offline Find More Posts by Fyathyrio
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My "bright" idea! :)
Old Sep 25, 2014, 07:35 PM
CRM 114 Certified
Joined Feb 2014
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyathyrio View Post
The trimmed NQX is likely a good bet...still have the durability and light weight, without the problematic split frame at the guard many develop. If one of the aftermarket setups is too light, then you can step up to the 200 or 250mah cells to balance it out.
mAh ballast. I like it.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 09:15 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Feb 2014
79 Posts
I'm flying my stock nqx with 200mah (v911) battery, feels good! just that the battery connector doesnt match and need some fixing..
landguy is online now Find More Posts by landguy
Old Oct 03, 2014, 06:40 AM
Rapidly aging user
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined May 2012
147 Posts
Has anybody tried......

Hi - Been having fun w/ my nQXFC- mQX/V929 but it's a little big for my apt .....have lots of spares & batts so I'm wondering if anybody has tried cutting the mQX frame down.....?
I'm thinking to trim the props to about 4.25" dia & shorten the booms to give about 6.5" diag. between prop shafts. Haven't seen this referred to in the thread(s).
Any experience or ideas? TIA
Ralph
raw89 is online now Find More Posts by raw89
Old Oct 14, 2014, 07:30 AM
Rapidly aging user
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined May 2012
147 Posts
Fyi....

Quote:
Originally Posted by raw89 View Post
Hi - Been having fun w/ my nQXFC- mQX/V929 but it's a little big for my apt .....have lots of spares & batts so I'm wondering if anybody has tried cutting the mQX frame down.....?
Decided to answer my own question.....pic of the "beta test" ver. of my mini nQX/929 follows.....
Cut the arms down to give 165mm diag., 115mm M-M size @ 53.3gm bare wieght. That's about as small as poss. to still fit a Tgy nano 600 into the stock batt holder.
Trimmed & shaped (too much ) some old GWS 5443's to 4", next vers. will be 4.25" & more square.
Will need to trim & reverse some wires to get motor/prop rotation correct.....

Flies very stable inside.....lift is marginal but ale/elv/yaw are surprisingly responsive....tried outside in about 5mph breeze & it worked OK. Getting 5-6 min. flights w/ the 600's......so far I'm happy with it.
Ralph
raw89 is online now Find More Posts by raw89