HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 12, 2013, 10:58 AM
Addicted to my hobby
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Sep 2009
434 Posts
Discussion
Happiness is...

Happiness is getting your new heli built!

Unhappiness is reversing the throttle channel instead of the rudder channel while making adjustments.

That's right. I couldn't remember what the tail feathers should look like when turning the correct way. So I simply set it down on the floor and "spooled her up". They appeared to be moving the wrong direction so I navigated my way through the menu and confirmed reversal of the servo...the throttle servo. Fortunately I got it stopped before any major damage occurred. Just a broken spirit and a broken tail blade from a strike against the dining room chair.
Sweetrex is offline Find More Posts by Sweetrex
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2013, 05:56 PM
I win again!! - mother gravity
Greenland, Qaasuitsup
Joined Apr 2013
1,728 Posts
poor heli....crippled even before it flew...

be careful on those "first spool-ups" i like to put some weights on the skids and something heavy resting through them when i think "something ain't right". Strap your heli in before it goes for a trim around your room....hehe, or worse, around you.

Oh, and some distance when you think something is even wronger.....
Flying Pitcher is offline Find More Posts by Flying Pitcher
Old Jun 12, 2013, 06:09 PM
Addicted to my hobby
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Sep 2009
434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Pitcher View Post
poor heli....crippled even before it flew...

be careful on those "first spool-ups" i like to put some weights on the skids and something heavy resting through them when i think "something ain't right". Strap your heli in before it goes for a trim around your room....hehe, or worse, around you.

Oh, and some distance when you think something is even wronger.....
For sure. I've already implemented some changes in procedure.
Sweetrex is offline Find More Posts by Sweetrex
Old Jun 12, 2013, 09:21 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,698 Posts
I've done that with a plane before. Armed planes and helis are more dangerous than loaded guns. Guns won't shoot unless you pull the trigger.
shahram72 is online now Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Jun 12, 2013, 09:54 PM
=>] Smack 3D Head [<=
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2007
3,120 Posts
And we learned... Confirm control surfaces manually before spooling up our motor. Flying helis step 2, Step 1 was a preflight check. If you don't understand your control surfaces sit down and figure it out so you can just check real fast before spool up. Sorry you dinged your new heli but at least the damage was minor
HeliSmith is offline Find More Posts by HeliSmith
Old Jun 13, 2013, 04:16 AM
AMA 1046820
United States, IN, Muncie
Joined Mar 2013
1,031 Posts
Sorry to hear about the unfortunate indoor crash. Get her dialed in and take her outside!

Happiness to me is: Seeing your freshly built and dialed in heli lifting into a hover, and beating the atmosphere into submission as it soars. Something about that sound of the first punch out always gives me goosebumps.

Unhappiness to me is: Seeing that heli hit the deck, and delaying your flying time.
Powerdyne is online now Find More Posts by Powerdyne
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 13, 2013, 04:34 AM
A&P in training
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Dec 2008
1,260 Posts
Lol, we learn by making mistakes. I'll bet you will double check next time. I had a Tx die while I was in mid hover in the living room, and the helicopter just decided to ever so slowly creep toward the wall. BLAM!

I assure you I will never ignore a beeping transmitter ever again.
ASTREA1 is offline Find More Posts by ASTREA1