HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 07, 2012, 02:59 AM
Joined May 2005
1,432 Posts
Discussion
Rds8000 id-up!

My RDS8000 is also now dead in the water. While trying to go to a new model setting, I inadvertently got into HELI mode and now when I turn the Tx on all I get is ID-UP! and beeping and none of the buttons or switches are responsive. I've tried everything and every combination I can think of. Nothing works.

I found a few old threads on this topic (so it's not just me) but I've found no solution.

THIS REALLY SUCKS AND ALTHOUGH I HAVE BEEN AN AIRTRONICS USER FROM THE BEGINNING, I WILL NEVER AGAIN BUY ANOTHER AIRTRONICS RADIO.
abufletcher is offline Find More Posts by abufletcher
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:09 AM
Fountain Valley, CA USA
Joined Oct 2000
500 Posts
You could contact the service dept for free
For technical assistance with Airtronics radio setup and operation, you can contact our technical support department at 800-262-1178 from noon-4PM M-F Pacific time
or email
service@airtronics.net
Mike Greenshields is offline Find More Posts by Mike Greenshields
Old Dec 07, 2012, 06:14 AM
Joined May 2005
1,432 Posts
Thanks, Mike. I did eventually find the solution. It has to do with the position of the toggle switches for HELI flight modes. If, when the Tx is switched on, the switches are set for either 1, 2, or 3, the TX locks up and displays ID-UP! It's a shame this isn't explicitly explained in the manual. There's just a mention (in the HELI section) about "knowing which flight mode you're in before starting the engine."

The problem on my Tx is that last year the right toggle broke off. That was never a problem for me since I only fly WWI aero. But I was able to insert the end of a ballpoint pen and jiggle the broken-off toggle base around until the FM switched over to N. When that happened the ID-UP! and beeping disappeared and I was able to use all the buttons. Now that I've switched that model over to AERO the broken toggle is no longer a problem. But I'll have to keep this in mind each time I set up a new model.

Sorry for the rant.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 07:01 AM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
3,905 Posts
Go on, go crazy - buy yourself a new 50c switch!
MattyB is online now Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: EFX Racer
Old Dec 07, 2012, 08:02 AM
Joined May 2005
1,432 Posts
Can a suitable replacement switch that would fit the Tx body be purchased separately? If so, where?
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:26 PM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
3,905 Posts
Of course - a quick Google popped this site straight up, but you can probably get the same switch much cheaper from a generic component supplier.

http://globalservices.globalhobby.com/part/751700.asp
MattyB is online now Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: EFX Racer
Old Dec 08, 2012, 05:14 AM
Joined May 2005
1,432 Posts
Thanks. I've bookmarked this for future needs.