HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:37 PM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
United States, WI, Beloit
Joined Nov 2012
3,919 Posts
Content Removed due to the fact that I do not agree with forum policy
here, and do not want them generating profit with my content.
Steve_ is offline Find More Posts by Steve_
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Steve_; Apr 21, 2013 at 09:44 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:41 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Last edited by Balr14; May 07, 2013 at 11:47 PM.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:02 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,505 Posts
Re: mixing arm ratio

[QUOTE=Steve_;24063585]The F645 has a much slower head speed, but also much larger balance
bar weights. So I don't think head speed is the problem.

I think it is a proper balance between balance bar weight and length,
mixing arm pivot point (leverage and throw) and blade pitch change
that we are looking for.

So we have a one to one ratio on the pivot arm. If we went two to one then we would lose half of the pitch change with the 9116's head design. Sort of sounds like a dead end doesn't it? ( I wonder how much 120% epa's would help with pitch with a two to one ratio?)

By the way, did you notice how much more pitch and flybar movement there is with your new mixing arms since they no longer contact the stops? Although my flybar hasn't hit the canopy it certainly could now. Makes me wonder now that I'm thinking about it, if we really would lose that much pitch compared to a stock head with a two to one ratio. I might have to make up some mixing arms to find out.
Pa flyer is online now Find More Posts by Pa flyer
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:04 PM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
Joined Nov 2012
3,919 Posts
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:06 PM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
Joined Nov 2012
3,919 Posts
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:12 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:13 PM
Slope Soaring Plank Scratcher
Australia, NSW, Keerrong
Joined Jan 2013
594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerm357 View Post
Im thinking of ordering the 9116 from Amazon and I am thinking about getting another battery for it so I can switch one out while the other is charging. Should I try and find a 7.4v 900mah battery or just go with another stock one? I have heard that going with something with around 900mah as long as its about the same size and weight can make the 9116 fly stronger and longer. Is this true?

I probley would have already just bought a 900mah but finding one that around $10 to $15 shipped not from China is pretty hard and Im just wondering if it is really worth it since I can get a stock one from Amazon for only $11 shipped.
hey jerm..

ive had a 9116 for about a month now, and for a first helicopter, i really recommend it. yes, its shonky and the quality control in its manufacturing is terrible.. BUT..
its stable, easy to fly, incredibly rugged, and best of all for me at least, the parts are very very cheap to replace and the community here is very helpful in troubleshooting problems and suggesting modifications.

i am still stuck with the stock battery.. with the mod i did to my main motor wiring, i definitely need something better now. i am about to order a few of these..

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/300825419...84.m1438.l2649

definitely get a few if you can. you will want to keep em charged and swap them in and out of the heli, so you can fly when the weather is accommodating. just make sure you let the motor cool between flights, and the battery cool before recharging.

the 900mah batteries apparently do increase flight time (im not sure about engine power and performance). they have a higher C-rating, so from what i understand, they should deliver more power in theory.

hope this helps you.
Gygax is offline Find More Posts by Gygax
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:24 PM
Joined Nov 2012
150 Posts
Steve_ & Balr14, your responses read like Jedi words of wisdom! Hilarious, and very true. Going the quad route sounds a bit more attractive to me than transitioning directly to a CP. Time to go figure out which quad!
aphex4000 is offline Find More Posts by aphex4000
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:28 PM
San Mateo, CA
United States, CA, Foster City
Joined Dec 2012
1,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_ View Post
Also, if you decide to make the switch to CP, don't start with a
250 class. They are fussy and tricky to fly.

A quad, or micro CP would be better to start, and then once
you are decent at that, skip the 250 and go straight for a 450.
I went for the Walkera Mini CP and even they are fussy!! That means , you need spare parts, landing gear, canopies, batteries and links. And that is to start off with.
HPCR is offline Find More Posts by HPCR
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:35 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:38 PM
United States, MI
Joined May 2011
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_ View Post
Is this your first 4 channel heli? As much fun as I have had with mine,
I find it hard to recommend the brand due to quality and design issues.
Yes, this will be my first 4channel heli, but have been flying 3channel for awhile now. Is there any thing better out there for around $72 shipped with 4 channels and about the same size? I though that this was one of the best helis for the money, am I wrong?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gygax View Post
hey jerm..

ive had a 9116 for about a month now, and for a first helicopter, i really recommend it. yes, its shonky and the quality control in its manufacturing is terrible.. BUT..
its stable, easy to fly, incredibly rugged, and best of all for me at least, the parts are very very cheap to replace and the community here is very helpful in troubleshooting problems and suggesting modifications.

i am still stuck with the stock battery.. with the mod i did to my main motor wiring, i definitely need something better now. i am about to order a few of these..

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/300825419...84.m1438.l2649

definitely get a few if you can. you will want to keep em charged and swap them in and out of the heli, so you can fly when the weather is accommodating. just make sure you let the motor cool between flights, and the battery cool before recharging.

the 900mah batteries apparently do increase flight time (im not sure about engine power and performance). they have a higher C-rating, so from what i understand, they should deliver more power in theory.

hope this helps you.
I was thinking about going with a few of these... http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html They seem to be pretty cheap and so is the shipping.
Jerm357 is online now Find More Posts by Jerm357
Last edited by Jerm357; Feb 07, 2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:41 PM
Build the Weapon....
Australia, VIC, Berwick
Joined Jan 2013
907 Posts
I think the offset mixing plates and modified fly bar offers good hope for making this bird a far better flyer. The V912 may have already solved some of the issues but I have not really read or seen how it flies in the wind or continuous forward flight. Quite a few of us are waiting on parts to test this concept, but soon we will know.

I have been researching the best way to move to cp, I have the 450 with fly bar head but am reluctant to move quickly and probably need an intermediate step. I have read many forums on the different cp heli's and the cost of crashing is really out there. But there is a heli that I think will be a great transition bird, the walkera V120D02s looks to be the ideal package. This package also flies well in the wind.

It has a 6 axis gyro flybarless head that has self leveling similar to a 4 ch, brushless motor, direct tail drive that can be modded to have a slipper clutch, almost unbreakable design, and with the simple servo mod (cut the servo arm so it slips on impact) this bird is very strong. It can easily be tamed down to fly like a 4 channel but later can be turned into a hummingbird on crack with experience and some Tx setting changes.

If you have a devo type Tx the BNF version is around $160. I have probably spent close to that already on the 9116.

My plan is to go the intermediate route and continue slowly with the 450 with stock bell hillier head, there is an option to upgrade to a 3 axis gyro flybarless head for about $60 that I may consider up the track. In the meantime the 9116 is providing a challenge to make something work along with honing some basic skills before probably moving on to the V120D02S.
Laidback_racer is offline Find More Posts by Laidback_racer
Last edited by Laidback_racer; Feb 07, 2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:45 PM
Joined Nov 2012
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
My preferred path is an MQx to an MCPx to whatever your heart desires. It's not the cheapest path, but it's the path of least resistance, at least in the USA. Outside of the USA, Walkera or WL toys have similar paths, although a bit more rocky.
Solid reviews on both, and reasonably priced. Time to start saving up.
aphex4000 is offline Find More Posts by aphex4000
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:48 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,505 Posts
[QUOTE=Steve_;24064845]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa flyer View Post

The F645 has half the pitch change of the 9116, and flies like
a dream by comparison. The blades are much bigger, so we
might have to buy some stock 9116 blades, as the trimmed
ones might not work as well. I still have a stock set of main
blades left. Did you trim all of yours?

I say we start with a stock head, change the mixing arms, and
see what happens. Then if it works, we could do all the other
mods (such as balance bar mods and blade trimming) one at
a time to make sure it does not "break" anything.

The stock weights on the F645 are huge.
The blades on both of my 9116's are trimmed, but I have three sets coming from BangGood. That info about the F645 having half of the 9116's pitch is pretty encouraging. Here we go again!

I just came in from flying mine for a VERY short time. The wind is blowing like crazy, but I needed a fix and sent her up against my better judgement anyway.
Once it was up there I wondered if I'd get it back down without breaking something. I did, but it took some doing. I know one thing: there is no way in h--l that a stock 9116 could have been controlled. It would have been bye bye birdie!
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:55 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laidback_racer View Post
I think the offset mixing plates and modified fly bar offers good hope for making this bird a far better flyer. The V912 may have already solved some of the issues but I have not really read or seen how it flies in the wind or continuous forward flight. Quite a few of us are waiting on parts to test this concept, but soon we will know.

I have been researching the best way to move to cp, I have the 450 with fly bar head but am reluctant to move quickly and probably need an intermediate step. I have read many forums on the different cp heli's and the cost of crashing is really out there. But there is a heli that I think will be a great transition bird, the walkera V120D02s looks to be the ideal package.

It has a 6 axis gyro flybarless head that has self leveling similar to a 4 ch, brushless motor, direct tail drive that can be modded to have a slipper clutch, almost unbreakable design, and with the simple servo mod (cut the servo arm so it slips on impact) this bird is very strong. It can easily be tamed down to fly like a 4 channel but later can be turned into a hummingbird on crack with experience and some Tx setting changes.

If you have a devo type Tx the BNF version is around $160. I have probably spent close to that already on the 9116.

My plan is to go the intermediate route and continue slowly with the 450 with stock bell hillier head, there is an option to upgrade to a 3 axis gyro flybarless head for about $60 that I may consider up the track. In the meantime the 9116 is providing a challenge to make something work along with honing some basic skills before probably moving on to the V120D02S.
Check out the Skyartec Wasp X3V fbl. I really like mine and everybody that has one seems to like it also. It's a lot of helicopter for the money.

I like that idea about slitting the servo arm: never heard it before. It makes sense on a fbl heli with all it's inherent stress on the servos. I've stripped a lot of gears!
Last edited by Pa flyer; Feb 07, 2013 at 05:46 PM. Reason: more info