HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 12:51 PM
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2002
2,904 Posts
Hey Bill - just wanted to thank you for sharing. Your previous posts and videos prompted me to also buy a Phantom for use with my second Arkbird. I'm using 5.8 for video, and an old 72mhz radio for control. I'm going to try to make a system to hand the 39" long Rx antenna vertically down. I can to 2.5kms now, and expect I should be able to add another km or two with a better radio link.

I'm finding in relatively smooth air the Arkbird does very with keeping the plane on course . But in turbulent air the stabilization system struggles. I'm going to slowly increase the compensation percentages to see how much better I can get it. May I ask if you are using the Arkbird's "rudder" compensation? Yaw correction seems counterintuitive with an elevon setup, and yet it's an option to select.

BTW the Phantom thermals very well! I've already hooked several boomers simply from watching the altimeter. Very cool to slowly circle and climb at 1 meter per second with the throttle off! I just installed a L1D thermal "sniffer" and plan to test the system out before installing everything in my 4 meter DC-808S sailplane.
. Should make for an amazing FPV experience.

tn

[QUOTE=billhally;29739308]My latest Arkbird flight 18.5 kms round trip she is working just great!!/QUOTE]
Thomas Nelson is offline Find More Posts by Thomas Nelson
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 04:52 PM
KY3JBD
lebanon, PA
Joined Dec 2000
653 Posts
Hi guys, My arkbird is working great in my Skywalker 168 except for one thing. When throttle is on there are lines through my picture, throttle off its very clear. Has anyone used a filter and if so where should it be placed? Thanks in advance!
Chris.
witstick is online now Find More Posts by witstick
Old Yesterday, 05:03 PM
FPV Browncoat
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Mar 2011
1,517 Posts
Yeah you should have an LC filter between your battery and the Arkbird whenever using a common power source with the motor. Same goes for every FPV video system on the same circuit as the motor and ESC.
prelator is offline Find More Posts by prelator
Old Yesterday, 05:04 PM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,589 Posts
Do people launch in Stabilise mode? Ive got a big pusher that dips scarily on hand launch when in manual mode so wondering if launching in stabilise mode will help stop the dreaded dip? Also is there a way to have heading lock? I live RTH mode where it locks in and maintains heading. But stabilise mode it wanders off course. Be nice to have a heading hold mode where it keeps going the way you want it without having to setup waypoints.
ChrisJ800 is online now Find More Posts by ChrisJ800
Old Yesterday, 05:12 PM
FPV Browncoat
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Mar 2011
1,517 Posts
There's a heading lock mode you can turn on in the menu. In my experience it doesn't work very well. It will lock the plane to a heading, but the Arkbird seems to have a mind of its own as to what heading that will actually be. Half the time I turn it on it puts the plane into an immediate turn, changes course like 45*, levels out, and then holds THAT heading, not the one I was on when I switched to stabilize mode. For the life of me I can't figure out why it does this.

The only thing I can think of is that it's taking its heading from an average of the GPS track. If I'm flying cross-wind, my GPS track would be somewhat diagonal to my compass heading, so the Arkbird thinks that is my heading and turns the plane to follow that heading.
prelator is offline Find More Posts by prelator
Old Yesterday, 05:46 PM
KY3JBD
lebanon, PA
Joined Dec 2000
653 Posts
I launch in stabilize mode, but i ROG because i put landing gear on my skywalker. I have to keep constant back pressure in the stick to get it to lift off and climb because as soon as i let go of the elevator stick it will level out and wont climb.
witstick is online now Find More Posts by witstick
Old Today, 05:12 AM
Joined Sep 2009
440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccsj View Post
The video quality is awesome though it was a hazy day but not much break up at all. I watched almost the entire flight but wasn't sure if you mentioned if you were using an antenna tracker? I don;t think you are but want to confirm, I'm not having much luck with my video quality on my new mini talon set up. Still work in progress. Been out to 7km but very crappy video.
No antenna tracker here nothing so exotic lol. Just "Armstrong" method to tweak the helical by hand on my pole during the flight, its basic but it works
billhally is online now Find More Posts by billhally
Old Today, 05:22 AM
Joined Sep 2009
440 Posts
[QUOTE=Thomas Nelson;29758784]Hey Bill - just wanted to thank you for sharing. Your previous posts and videos prompted me to also buy a Phantom for use with my second Arkbird. I'm using 5.8 for video, and an old 72mhz radio for control. I'm going to try to make a system to hand the 39" long Rx antenna vertically down. I can to 2.5kms now, and expect I should be able to add another km or two with a better radio link.

I'm finding in relatively smooth air the Arkbird does very with keeping the plane on course . But in turbulent air the stabilization system struggles. I'm going to slowly increase the compensation percentages to see how much better I can get it. May I ask if you are using the Arkbird's "rudder" compensation? Yaw correction seems counterintuitive with an elevon setup, and yet it's an option to select.

BTW the Phantom thermals very well! I've already hooked several boomers simply from watching the altimeter. Very cool to slowly circle and climb at 1 meter per second with the throttle off! I just installed a L1D thermal "sniffer" and plan to test the system out before installing everything in my 4 meter DC-808S sailplane.
. Should make for an amazing FPV experience.

tn

Quote:
Originally Posted by billhally View Post
My latest Arkbird flight 18.5 kms round trip she is working just great!!/QUOTE]
Hi Thomas

I find after flying it and watching a lot of video's that the FX-61 seems to suffer from that speed wobble. If you keep the speed down its much less noticable and of course it gets affected by cross breeze and turbulent air. With respect to rudder compensation as we dont have the rudder output hooked up on this airframe then I believe it wont have any affect at all. Before this I flew with a Bixler with rudder and it did make a difference as that channel was connected but on elevon mixed airframe I very much doubt it does anything at all.

Thank's for your kind words enjoy your Fx-61 and Arkbird I think it's a great combination. A friend of mine has just bought the FX-79 and Arkbird so that will be interesting to see what happens there.
billhally is online now Find More Posts by billhally