SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 10, 2012, 12:45 PM
United States, CA, Signal Hill
Joined Aug 2009
873 Posts
Discussion
what 3 cell lipo pack are you guys using for your trex 450 ?

im looking to buy some good budget packs 11.1v 3cell

i have some thunder power packs that have lasted a couple years and tp warranty policy is excellent

bought some packs from hong kong that the 4 of them died all at the same time after 6 months of usage.

so
wc_wickedclown is offline Find More Posts by wc_wickedclown
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2012, 04:18 PM
Committed heli addict...
Joined Jan 2010
675 Posts
Tp is expensive, but decent. If you want a good but not great lipo (cost effective) try out turnigy, zippy or blue lipo. Stay away from "B" series lipos.
phoenixheli is offline Find More Posts by phoenixheli
Old May 10, 2012, 05:49 PM
KoOl BrEeZe
Joined Feb 2012
597 Posts
+ 1 on the turnigy. 3s 2200mah 30c . They would be the next grade up over zippy, And do a great job.
LiQuid*Xion is offline Find More Posts by LiQuid*Xion
Old May 10, 2012, 07:52 PM
United States, NC, Winston-Salem
Joined Dec 2011
50 Posts
I recently purchased a couple of 25c Sky Lipos, and they don't perform well - only 4:30 minutes max flying before voltage drops below 11.1 or so...and im a beginner. I have a 40c Gens Ace I will be trying this weekend.

As a side note, all 4 e-flight batteries that came with my used Blade 450 run at least 6 minutes and come down with higher voltage/remaining capacity than the Sky's do at 4:30. I realize they are rated lower than Blade recommends, but my basic hovering, etc isn't putting any real demand on the batts anyway...I'm discharging them at a rate much less than they are rated for.

To be fair, my experience with the 2200's is opposite of my flying buddies who are running bigger Sky's...they report good results with them, and the Turnigy Nanos they run on their 450's.

I'll report back on my Gens Ace at some point.
Skidpad is offline Find More Posts by Skidpad
Last edited by Skidpad; May 10, 2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old May 12, 2012, 10:06 AM
unlicensed helicopter nut
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
+1 Turnigy blues and/or FlightMax from HobbyKing. 2200 mah 40C batteries fly it off the hook. I could get six minutes but fly conservatively at five to make them last, and they do. Over one year and counting.
zen@lanset.com is offline Find More Posts by zen@lanset.com
Old May 12, 2012, 11:06 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wc_wickedclown View Post
im looking to buy some good budget packs 11.1v 3cell

i have some thunder power packs that have lasted a couple years and tp warranty policy is excellent

bought some packs from hong kong that the 4 of them died all at the same time after 6 months of usage.

so
I have not been impressed with the Thunder Power recently - the "Pro power" ones were just terrible. Hobbyking packs aren't much better but at least they aren't expensive.

I fly six different aircraft which use the 2200 3S size - it is a very popular pack. I have tried various batteries and settled on these...

http://www.allerc.com/hyperion-g3-vx...ck-p-4539.html - I fly wicked hard sometimes. I use these in an Addiction-X for example, and "last year" packs fly it good, but have lost a little punch. "Good" after a year of abuse is about as good as it gets.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old May 12, 2012, 12:10 PM
Mt helena western australia
Joined May 2009
2,013 Posts
currently......a 2200mah 3s 20c zippy with a dent in a the rear cell were it was hit by a blade in a crash XD, cant afford another =(
rangamatchstic is offline Find More Posts by rangamatchstic
Old May 12, 2012, 12:16 PM
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangamatchstic View Post
currently......a 2200mah 3s 20c zippy with a dent in a the rear cell were it was hit by a blade in a crash XD, cant afford another =(
Sorry times are so tough! HK 2200 3s 40C are only 14.99 + shipping. (Gotta wonder if those who pan these batteries actually fly with them; everyone I know who uses them gets good service.)
Old May 12, 2012, 08:22 PM
Joined May 2009
2,013 Posts
ill aim for a nanotech next time, although i really only need one battery as i dont get that much time to fly.
Old May 12, 2012, 09:09 PM
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangamatchstic View Post
... i really only need one battery as i dont get that much time to fly.
That's tragic.
Old May 12, 2012, 09:34 PM
WOS
United States, IN, Michigan City
Joined Nov 2003
808 Posts
one pack? Tragic indeed. I dont get a chance to fly much these days due to work but when I do I want to make the most of it. minimum 5 or 6 packs. I really dont see how you can learn much using only one pack??????????????
WOS is offline Find More Posts by WOS
Old May 12, 2012, 11:45 PM
Retired Old Guy
United States, IL, New Lenox
Joined Jan 2012
616 Posts
I have two 2200 20C batteries from AmpedUp. It is the battery that comes with the Hausler. I have 23 flights on them for a total of 5h 6 min. I am pretty happy with them so far. I am still in the learning to hover this beast so I think that the batteries are pretty much just loafing along. I also have a SkyLipo 2650 30C that is new and only has 2 hovering flights on it. The 2650 pack is a little bit larger physically and is also a little bit heavier than my 2200 batteries. I set the timer on my transmitter for 6m 40sec so I am flying for the same amount of time on the larger pack. The mah back into that pack was less than the 2200 packs. It is still to early to tell if the bigger battery is going to be beneficial to me.

RWW
whitehedr is offline Find More Posts by whitehedr
Old May 13, 2012, 01:15 AM
Joined May 2009
2,013 Posts
The only time i can fly is at the school rc club on a friday arvo which im only there for abotu 1.3 hours and have to teach the younger kids there how to fly/maintain/control the planes and give them a flight demo of the nitro trainer.
Old May 13, 2012, 02:17 AM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2010
2,346 Posts
Personally I have used Sky Lipos and Blue Lipos from HobbyPartz. Both are junk. Out of the 10 combined in various sizes that I bought in the last 18 months, only one 2200 3s still works and I only get about 4:30 mins with it sport flying. I recommend in this order:
1) Gen Ace
2) Nano-techs
3) Turnigy
4) Zippy (got one with a cold solder joint that would cause a connection break error on the charger. Fixed myself)
ridge_racer is offline Find More Posts by ridge_racer
Old May 13, 2012, 02:28 AM
Suspended Account
Pittsburgh PA
Joined Dec 2004
2,365 Posts
www.commonsenserc.com 2200 20c 3s lectron pro... great middle of the road fuel cell

and.... they have the best deals on cases for your batteries,radios, and birds....
Cable Guy is offline Find More Posts by Cable Guy
Last edited by Cable Guy; May 13, 2012 at 02:29 AM. Reason: and....
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)