HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:57 PM
Alberta,Canada
Joined Nov 2009
2,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlvaSpeed View Post
First day with my Stryker and the ESC is dead!!!!
Is this common?
Should I ask for a replacement?
What to do in this cases?
Sorry to hear about your esc,contact horizon,they will give the proper steps as to mailing it in for inspection/warranty.

Hope your able to get it resolved and back flying soon.
rimripper is offline Find More Posts by rimripper
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 28, 2012, 09:06 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Feb 2011
600 Posts
AlvaSpeed,

there have been a few esc failures, but not very many.

Call Horizon. they should take care of it by sending you a replacement.

They have treated me exceptionally well
allelectrik is offline Find More Posts by allelectrik
Old Mar 28, 2012, 09:34 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Feb 2011
600 Posts
Got the DX8 programmed with airbrakes. Took a while but with assistance from earlier posts figured it out.

Going to use AR6115e which fits nicely and did not need servo wire extensions. Used the gear channel to setup the brakes. CG seems to be right on without switching anything around.

Weather is crab in Oregon and will continue to be for a while so there's plenty of time to get some of the mods done before the maiden.

Did get a apc 7x5 sport prop mounted on the recommended adapter. The prop needed both blade and hub balancing.
allelectrik is offline Find More Posts by allelectrik
Old Mar 28, 2012, 09:47 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
I alway like spraying some paint and then mocking it up to see what it looks like!
Peter, you are REALLY tempting me...

Something's about to happen.
Don't know if I'm going to sink some carbon into my present Stryker Q, or get a new airframe to start from scratch...

The 16/25/2ECQ motor on 4S has been scooting it around nicely for a while now, and been great fun.
But I think it's ready for something not so nice

I have my 22/30/2E motor sitting on the shelf with its modified endcaps. Will bolt right up to the back of the Q!
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Old Mar 28, 2012, 09:53 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt soap View Post
Love my q striker... Getting very tired of the high speed death roll to the right! saw it on this thread a couple of thousand post's ago.. Whats causing it??
I may have been the one whining incessantly about my Q rolling to the right at high speed.

First thing to double check:
Are you running a pusher prop? This will make the plane torque roll to the right, and the roll would be considered normal.
Pusher props are labeled with a P at the end of their size.
Ex.- 7x6P, 7x5EP

But if you're sure you're running standard-rotating props, then the uncommanded right roll is airframe-related.
Mine was solved by a light fiberglass job. Adds about 4oz. to the plane but makes it fly awesome.
Another friend had the same roll at high speeds. We fiberglassed his plane and it now flies dead-straight as well.

You could also experiment with sinking carbon tubing into key areas. The Q doesn't have a continuous, solid spar. Adding one could really help keep it rigid.
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Old Mar 29, 2012, 02:19 AM
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
2,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdnunoc View Post
But I think it's ready for something not so nice
Murdo,
I think after you fly a full heavy build Q you'll won't bother with a C ever again!

Besides being quicker to build since they have some sturdy reinforcing already, they don't suffer the same forward cg problem that the heavy build C's have and consequently are nicer to fly.

Gryphon's helping me get my 22/50 sorted out at Mega sooner than later so hopefully in a month or so I should have an interesting video to post.

All going well I should be able to maiden it on 6 cells and my trusty 22/30/1.5E in about a fortnight.

Try it, you'll like it!
Peter M is offline Find More Posts by Peter M
Old Mar 30, 2012, 05:58 AM
How close are those trees?
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,911 Posts
4S Setup

Still lov'n my stock Stryker but just have to give it a try on 4S.

Fitted a HK 60amp ESC (burst 80amp) and APC 7x5 tonight.

Thanks for the help regarding ESC placement but I ended up putting it down the back.

Just belted out 870w @ 70amps with a Turnigy 2200MAH 30C 4S lipo

Everything (lipo, ESC and motor) all appeared reasonably cool after a couple of static runs but I'm not planning to run her WOT for any extended periods.

However should be fun opening her up for a few flat-out speed runs tomorrow.

I'l post any doppler readings I get.

Cheers
Goody63 is offline Find More Posts by Goody63
Old Mar 30, 2012, 07:06 AM
I am ready for HHAEFI!!
United States, GA, Cochran
Joined Apr 2004
6,573 Posts
OH the Shame!! HobbYShidy parts in the Stryker.. It deserves Castle.. OR airboss....
powerlines is offline Find More Posts by powerlines
Old Mar 30, 2012, 08:01 AM
How close are those trees?
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,911 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerlines View Post
OH the Shame!! HobbYShidy parts in the Stryker.. It deserves Castle.. OR airboss....
Well its not as though anyone can see it
Goody63 is offline Find More Posts by Goody63
Old Mar 30, 2012, 08:22 AM
Rotor madness!
Northern AZ
Joined Oct 2006
1,120 Posts
And it's not as though Castle hasn't had their share of issues recently...
Rodan is offline Find More Posts by Rodan
Old Mar 30, 2012, 08:46 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrjr View Post
Question....
When the manual says

Does this mean that it is 35-40mm from center to full up or does it mean 35-40mm from full down to full up (total throw)?
I am in the longest hole on servo arm and center hole on control horn and am getting about 26mm from center to full up (or full down)
Keep it at the 26mm, there was/is some confusion in the "manuals" recommended throws from day 1, and i don't think it was every resolved!?

If you give it 35-40 mm of travel each way, when you bring your stick in either corner, your Z-bends well bring up in the foam cut out. resulting in strain on the servo, some have busted the servos, and i think that was the cause!

Seeing how nice those boomerang spins looked on the Promo vids, everyone though MAX throws were key!
And with the manual stated what it does! A lot just followed that with out doing a Proper look over of the control surfaces!

What i did was keep EPA's at 100%, got into the D/R's, put the right stick in either the corners, and toned them down till they just come up on the foam, with no jitter noise!
At that rate, when i give full down or up its around the 25mm ballpark!

So give it a test and see where you are!
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 30, 2012, 09:02 AM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
Keep it at the 26mm, there was/is some confusion in the "manuals" recommended throws from day 1, and i don't think it was every resolved!?

If you give it 35-40 mm of travel each way, when you bring your stick in either corner, your Z-bends well bring up in the foam cut out. resulting in strain on the servo, some have busted the servos, and i think that was the cause!

Seeing how nice those boomerang spins looked on the Promo vids, everyone though MAX throws were key!
And with the manual stated what it does! A lot just followed that with out doing a Proper look over of the control surfaces!

What i did was keep EPA's at 100%, got into the D/R's, put the right stick in either the corners, and toned them down till they just come up on the foam, with no jitter noise!
At that rate, when i give full down or up its around the 25mm ballpark!

So give it a test and see where you are!
Sweet, thanks. I have read in this thread though that one needs 41mm to do those fast flat spins. Guess I will have to just try it. Hope to soon....
jrjr is offline Find More Posts by jrjr
Old Mar 30, 2012, 09:44 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrjr View Post
Sweet, thanks. I have read in this thread though that one needs 41mm to do those fast flat spins. Guess I will have to just try it. Hope to soon....
When your sticks are in the corners the rates are compounded! and Z bends are just at the foam, my 25mm turns into 35mm or so, which is Plenty for flat spins. Now you could take a #11 blade and cut a nice clean chunk of foam out of the servo arm holes! you may get a few more mm out of it.

Honestly! I've found the more rudd throw you have, the faster it spins.

Just set up my new DX7s radio, WX is finally decent! Snow storm tonight though
So im gone for a New test flight!
Now to convince the better half to film! Most her complaints is, she cant follow it!!
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Eastcoast78; Mar 30, 2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 11:52 AM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,739 Posts
Curious Eastcoast, did you setup the Air Brake with your new DX7s?? I'm still having a blast coming outta the Boomerang nose pointed straight down, add the Air Brakes & watch her drill a hole in the sky pointing straight down. She's still my favorite plane!!! & why didn't I try parallel charging in the beginning!!!!! Saves a little bit of time for me using the cable:

Used along with the balance adapter:

rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Mar 30, 2012, 01:09 PM
dallas tx
Joined Jun 2003
2,901 Posts
Murdonunoc, Where would you recommed to ply carbon rods on the model??
capt soap is offline Find More Posts by capt soap