Old Mar 02, 2005, 08:04 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,200 Posts
Cool
STEALTH SPORT#2...redo....

Having built over a dozen of these , I gave away my last (first) one a few months ago ..... missed it so decided to do an instant UPdate/build on it .... Really a good plane and strange enough to satisfy my esthetic senses....

1. Print out the plane from FoamFly onto some index card stock (thicker than regular paper)... cut out the three parts you'll need for construction (easy ,huh?)

Using the popular "crutch" method of construction , I was able to eliminate the stick and add strength and save weight ..... just go off the plans to design your own fuse .or I'll make the template available
gpw is online now Find More Posts by gpw
Last edited by gpw; Mar 02, 2005 at 08:14 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2005, 08:19 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,200 Posts
Number 2

Trace the parts onto some nice foam of your choice (6mm app. ) cut it out , cut out the elevons , bevel the edge , hinge them to the wing with Scotch transparent tape ...and I have been putting Blue masking tape on the edges (Le) lately ... Hey ! looks good !!!????

The blue tape in the center of the ONE-PIECE WING hides the slot and two bamboo skewers lashed together overlaping two inches in the center , and glued together (ca) and glued into the slot(white canopy glue) and later taped over. That's the spar , don't leave it out ...

Note the radiused edges on the wing /elevon connection ... relives stress, improves crashworthyness....and the newly reshaped elevon surface...
Last edited by gpw; Mar 02, 2005 at 08:41 AM.
Old Mar 02, 2005, 08:31 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,200 Posts
Number 3.

Do as much decorating as you want while the pieces are still flat (easier) ...when you're ready , heat UP the old hot-glue gun and get two bricks...You can see how the fuse and wing just slide together .... Do that , then use the two bricks to align the wing and fuse squarely... when everything is right , just "weld" that plastic together... let cool , flip over and do the other side .... done!!!! I hoped you cut out the servo slots while it was flat , huh??? I used two chopsticks for my j250'C motor stick...strong and light ....hot glued in ...0-0

Now install the radio... pop in the servos ,tape the rx and esc to the sides(scotch tape)and bend a couple short wire pushrods and connect ... if you are carefull about the installation , you can have the plane balance easily at the CG , WITHOUT the battery .... what this means is you can use ANY size battery with no CG change (battery mounted on the CG )...

Ps. you can see the slight reflex (washout) in the wing tips...
Last edited by gpw; Mar 02, 2005 at 08:50 AM.
Old Mar 02, 2005, 09:34 AM
Krued Up
United States, MA, Springfield
Joined Jul 2004
4,559 Posts
PUT THE FUSE SO THAT I CAN DOWNLOAD GPW wow nice...so many planes,not enough time
snolord1 is offline Find More Posts by snolord1
Old Mar 02, 2005, 12:00 PM
fly or build or fly or...
Altoona, PA
Joined Jul 2004
226 Posts
Yeh... great!!!! I love it! Have to fly one!
Merwin is offline Find More Posts by Merwin
Old Mar 02, 2005, 12:52 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
If you put the motor on top, a single wheel in the front (dragging the wingtips) works for ROG's... One of our indoor guys flies one ripping around the soccer stadium on a CDR He has one with a pingpong ball drop down the center of the belly, nailing guys on the flightline
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Mar 02, 2005, 07:41 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,200 Posts
That's TOO COOL !!!! I really believe the CD motor is the ticket for this plane , when we designed it , that power wasn't available , now .....it's got to be a hot combo !!!!

I'll post the fuse template asap ...

Did you know that ping pong backwards is gnip gnop which is actually how the game really sounds .... gnip gnop, gnip gnop, gnip gnop.....
Old Mar 03, 2005, 08:57 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,200 Posts
Things got busy

Around here last night .... didn't get to post fuse template yet , plus it's raining ...In case you don't want to wait , you can just draw your own .... here's how .... look at the plans ... the "stick" fuselage becomes the centerline ... addon the top of this in the front , the canopy cutout , and in the rear the FIN ... just like on the plans .... on the bottom just add enough foam to hold some of your eqpt. , battery , etc. ......it's not critical , all straight lines ... got a ruler ???? just use the centerline as a guide for everything including cutting out the crutch slot for the wing .... any Questions?????? temps asap ...
Old Mar 03, 2005, 07:25 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,200 Posts
I'm going to try to post the scanned template.... Hope it works ...here goes
Old Mar 03, 2005, 07:26 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,200 Posts
Hmmmm..... Kinda' small eh ? working ...
Old Mar 04, 2005, 07:44 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,200 Posts
will try posting in the gallery at FoamFly...
Old Mar 04, 2005, 08:43 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,200 Posts
I had trouble posting at FoamFly so I sent the temp .jpegs to Dan (HIPPO) to post for me ...give him a little time please , he's a busy guy ...
Old Mar 05, 2005, 11:23 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,200 Posts
FLIGHT REPORT:
Maidened the SS II today .... WHOA DUDE!!!! This is how I always wanted the SS to fly ...... before (3 years ago) we were flying the SS with an ips A motor and 8/720nimh (heavy) .... the new plane has a j250 /C/10x7 and on two light (1200) lipos , flies BETTER than I ever expected ... had so much FUN , flew it a few more times .... Plenty power now , Flat wing , no need for reflex... loops really tight , rolls nice too ... but the GLIDE is really something with a really smooth transition from full power to power off (no changes) ...I think it would thermal !!!!!

I'm really really glad I did the redesign / UPdate ... it now is at the top of my favorites list ....again .....
ps . I did try to hover it , but just didn't have enough thrust ... a D gear and 12x6 should solve that problem ...or 3 cells ??? next time ...
Old Mar 07, 2005, 09:11 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,200 Posts
Yup , a D /12x6 will hover it , and not bad either !!!!!! Let FB Bob fly it , he scooted UP with some buzzards circling about 200' and started thermalling with them , power off .... they didn't seem to mind , he loved it , and now we know it will thermal ...... Bob rushed home to build another ..... he called it a classic .... sure flies GOOD!!!!!

Am I the only one interested in this post ....????hey!!! I could be Flying !!!!
Old Mar 09, 2005, 08:21 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,200 Posts
OK Guys!!! The fuse templates are at FoamFly in the Stealth Sport folder for your convenience (thanks to Hippo!!! ) Just follow the pics in this thread , and you'll be able to assemble the 2 (TWO!!!) pieces for the airframe ....

If you don't build this one (one hour ) you're just missing out !!!!!!! This thing Flies GREAT , Looks COOL , and glides wonderfull ...it DOES IT ALL !!!!! let me repeat myself for those who don't understand my level of excitement ...IT DOES IT ALL!!!!!! It was a really FUN plane 3 years ago with its ips motor and heavy nimh batteries , but now , with the much lighter lipo technoloigy and powerfull DCM-189/C/10x7... this is a TOTALLY different airplane , this aint' yer grandma's Stealth Sport ....this one "DOES IT ALL"!!!!! BUILD one , you will NEVER regret it !!!!
Last edited by gpw; Mar 09, 2005 at 08:27 AM.