HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 22, 2014, 12:26 PM
Service First
United States, CT, Torrington
Joined Feb 2006
188 Posts
Discussion
Dumas Deep Vee 40?

Found this in the back of a garage, says Dumas in the hull and under the deck it has a tag dated 1980. The hull measures about 30 1/2" long.

This is everthing I have and would like to complete it, I know nothing about model boats. Can some one point me in the right direction?

Name: IMG_0174.jpg
Views: 59
Size: 666.3 KB
Description:
johnfh is offline Find More Posts by johnfh
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2014, 04:58 AM
Bradford West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Apr 2010
1,708 Posts
Might have a better response posting this in "Racing boats - IC powered.

Regards Ian.
Circlip is offline Find More Posts by Circlip
Old Jul 26, 2014, 06:08 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Oct 2006
456 Posts
Hmm...

That is a fast racing boat, as Circlip says. You do not have to run it as a racer, of course, but if you know nothing about model boats it's probably not ideal as a first boat to start with.

I don't know if everything is there. I can see that you have all the major parts (except the motor and the radio, which you usually have to supply separately), but I suspect that there might be the need for a few other minor items - a few lengths of wood to make up a cockpit, for instance. Are you an aircraft modeller with a reasonable spares box? Otherwise you might have to go out and get some. You will also need a propeller and a prop-shaft connector - your model shop will help here..

You will certainly need specific glues, paint and tools to make the boat up. Again, I don't know if you have worked with ABS before?

On the assumption that you are a modeller (with 146 posts) but have no boat experience, I would say that your next steps ought to be:

1 - try to identify the boat and get a review/picture of it. This is probably a good forum to post on - you really need to find a modelling magazine from the 1980s..

2 - talk to Dumas. They still exist and, I think, have good archives. See http://www.dumasproducts.com/ They may be able to provide plans or a picture.

3 - consider what engine and radio you will use. You will probably want a brushless with Lipo batteries - if so and if you don't know much about those, read up about them. Also note that model boat and aircraft frequencies can be different.

4 - Where are you going to sail the boat? This can be a major problem in some places, and limit decisions like the engine type. When you have found a place, go and see if there is a local model boat club there. Then chat to someone who has similar type of boat to the one you want to make, and explain that you may need some help - you'll be pretty sure to get it!

HTH!

DG
dodgy is offline Find More Posts by dodgy
Old Aug 23, 2014, 02:16 PM
Straight up is all I ask
Fairfield Ct USA
Joined Apr 2002
2,323 Posts
I'd say it is a DV 20 not a 40 . That 30" boat would run a .21 inboard or similar . You can power it up electric relatively cheap on brushless and lipos .
jmolwitz is offline Find More Posts by jmolwitz
Old Aug 24, 2014, 01:21 PM
Ελλάδα, Ανατολική Μακεδονία Θράκη, Βιστωνίδα
Joined Jul 2006
896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfh View Post
Found this in the back of a garage, says Dumas in the hull and under the deck it has a tag dated 1980. The hull measures about 30 1/2" long.

This is everthing I have and would like to complete it, I know nothing about model boats. Can some one point me in the right direction?

Attachment 6952160
Please.

Painted on paper, the pieces shown in the photo.
Normal size.
Scan them and upload them.

Thanks Elijah Greece.
hlsat is online now Find More Posts by hlsat
Old Aug 24, 2014, 01:25 PM
Ελλάδα, Ανατολική Μακεδονία Θράκη, Βιστωνίδα
Joined Jul 2006
896 Posts
I have this boat with problem in hull.
It is Dee Vee 20 for .21 engine.
hlsat is online now Find More Posts by hlsat
Old Aug 26, 2014, 02:19 PM