HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 27, 2013, 11:38 PM
United Kingdom, Wales, Swansea
Joined Aug 2012
765 Posts
Question
Max Thrust Yak 54 mystery..

Just got emailed a special offer - a large Yak 54 (59" span) foamie at 40% off. Funny thing is I can find no mention of this model on the forum, and sparse info on a Google search. Likewise with another large balsa Japanese warbird.

Does this mean they're dogs, or potential diamond deals?
FlyBoy20 is online now Find More Posts by FlyBoy20
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2013, 07:24 PM
York, England
Joined Jan 2010
455 Posts
I hope the Yak isn't a dog as I've just taken the plunge as I got the same email, but I'll let you know in due course. I've read one good review (and no bad ones) so far, so fingers crossed.
SmartMartY is offline Find More Posts by SmartMartY
Old Sep 28, 2013, 07:38 PM
Joined Aug 2012
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMartY View Post
I hope the Yak isn't a dog as I've just taken the plunge as I got the same email, but I'll let you know in due course. I've read one good review (and no bad ones) so far, so fingers crossed.
I'm really tempted myself, but I'd like to know which motor comes standard with the full monty version?
Old Sep 28, 2013, 07:46 PM
York, England
Joined Jan 2010
455 Posts
I've just read another positive review, here are the links http://www.centuryuk.com/docs/rcme%20yak54.pdf and http://www.centuryuk.com/docs/yak%2054%20rcmw.pdf
I think the motor is a 750kv one, probably unbranded. One of the reviews suggest propping down slightly, which will still give good power, and maybe extend flight times.

I've been trying to wean myself off foamies, and switch to balsa/ply models, but these look so good nowadays, and at this price who can resist? Shame about the lack of colour though, maybe my mate can give her a paint job.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 08:45 PM
Joined Aug 2012
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMartY View Post
I've just read another positive review, here are the links http://www.centuryuk.com/docs/rcme%20yak54.pdf and http://www.centuryuk.com/docs/yak%2054%20rcmw.pdf
Cheers for the heads up, can't understand why it's not more written about...?
Old Oct 02, 2013, 07:47 PM
York, England
Joined Jan 2010
455 Posts
I've taken delivery of the Yak 54, and I can wholeheartedly recommend it, especially at this price. I've only done a very brief dry fitting so far, with only a couple of minor niggles, and I'll try and make a proper start when I get in from work.

Edit: I knew something was missing, and it was only when I was preparing to make a start that I realised what. No idiots guide in the box (or the little boxes), so I hunted and found the pdf on the Century website. Too late to make a start now, so I'll have another crack at it when I get home tonight
Last edited by SmartMartY; Oct 02, 2013 at 11:39 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 07:15 PM
United Kingdom, England, Ossett
Joined Nov 2012
117 Posts
Any updates, fellas? Anyone maidened theirs? If so, I fly Parkzone warbirds and am looking to try aerobatics; is this substantially harder to fly than a Parkzone 15 size eg Spitfire IX?
Thanks
Mark
Mark4mosquito is online now Find More Posts by Mark4mosquito
Old Oct 25, 2013, 07:37 PM
Joined Aug 2012
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark4mosquito View Post
Any updates, fellas? Anyone maidened theirs? If so, I fly Parkzone warbirds and am looking to try aerobatics; is this substantially harder to fly than a Parkzone 15 size eg Spitfire IX?
Thanks
Mark
Yes, maidened and now stuck up a very high tree!
Old Oct 26, 2013, 04:16 PM
United Kingdom, England, Ossett
Joined Nov 2012
117 Posts
Oh no! How soon after take off did it happen? Must be gutted.
Mark4mosquito is online now Find More Posts by Mark4mosquito
Old Oct 26, 2013, 08:25 PM
Joined Aug 2012
765 Posts
Quote:
Oh no! How soon after take off did it happen? Must be gutted.
Too soon, too soon, and yes I'm gutted, but hopefully these storm winds forecast will bring it down?
Last edited by FlyBoy20; Oct 26, 2013 at 08:26 PM. Reason: added stuff
Old Oct 27, 2013, 07:54 AM
United Kingdom, Harrogate
Joined Jan 2013
6 Posts
Hi Just bought one from Kings Lynn models, well packed good sturdy plane, bad bits cracked canopy, they wont exchange as I attempted a repair with super glue, ESC crashes when loaded up with all servos movement I'm going to try and get another under warranty but will they decline this as I've soldered the hxt connectors on from Hobbyking, watch this space, probably fly this next year
Pecketts is offline Find More Posts by Pecketts
Old Oct 27, 2013, 11:05 AM
York, England
Joined Jan 2010
455 Posts
Quote:
Thanks
Mark
My Yak has had two outings now (8 flights), with neither being what I'd call successful, but first to the assembly. The tail end is a bit odd in the the last few inches of the fuz need gluing on before assembling the rest, and the glue is cr@p. Once glued there are 2 screws that are supposed to hold the tail together (with a warning not to overtighten them), but the thin foam wall that supports the screws collapsed, without any resistance when tightening the screws, which I have since rectified with ply and gorilla glue. The main wing joiner wasn't horizontal, meaning the starboard wing wasn't seated properly, rectified by removing the ply plates, enlarging the hole in the foam, and re-gluing the ply plates perfectly horizontal to each other. The screws holding the cowl in place were missing, but I found some, and I also glued in two bits of carbon tube so the foam isn't crushed. The decals are a nightmare to apply, and look cr@p, but a paint job will follow later. The two elevator servos are cr@p, one with more slop than the other, and they move differently, rectified by fitting 2 HK MG digis that are a vast improvement. Measuring CofG is odd, measured from the front of the cowl rather than the wing leading edge, and I'm not convinced the instructions are correct. The u/c need raking forward a little because she has a strong tendency to nose over, even on short grass, with the elevator fully up, and good landings are difficult.

On to the flights. Compared to all the PZ stuff I've flown, very difficult to fly, but I'm sure she'll be a peach once all the faults have been rectified. On power, with neural trims, she noses down a lot. With trims re-adjusted for level flight the nose will rise on low power. I've been advised that the motor thrust angle is wrong, but I also believe the the CofG is too far back, even with a 3.3mah 4 cell lipo all the way forward. I stuck 40gms of lead weight to the nose, which made little difference to be honest, so I'll carry out more tests in my hangar today, but due to work and the weather, I don't know when she'll next fly.

I would have been extremely p!ssed off with her, had I paid full price, but I'll persevere a bit more because she was cheap and has so much potential, once balanced. So far the motor and esc are behaving properly, though I did remove some of the heatshrink from esc heat sink to further aid cooling, and she has ample power with a 14x6 or 7 prop.

More to follow in due course.
Old Nov 01, 2013, 02:54 PM
Joined Jan 2013
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecketts View Post
Hi Just bought one from Kings Lynn models, well packed good sturdy plane, bad bits cracked canopy, they wont exchange as I attempted a repair with super glue, ESC crashes when loaded up with all servos movement I'm going to try and get another under warranty but will they decline this as I've soldered the hxt connectors on from Hobbyking, watch this space, probably fly this next year
Graham at Kings Lynn models sent another ESC as BEC had died now it’s up and running cant wait to fly it
Last edited by Pecketts; Nov 02, 2013 at 03:08 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Nov 09, 2013, 03:04 PM
Joined Jan 2013
6 Posts
First flight /Battery , 10mm travel as per recommendations with 30 Expo, required minor trim, second flight full rate with 25 Expo, flew brilliant at half throttle, third battery full throttle with some fast loops and spins canopy flew off, but ok, fourth battery started to hail storm so had to land it very quickly, only bad points so far is canopy loose but will fit latch, biggest problem is nose over on take-off and landings, grass approx 2 inches high
Old Nov 11, 2013, 12:14 PM
York, England
Joined Jan 2010
455 Posts
Sounds like yours is behaving better than mine mate, nice one. Did you use the rubber band attachment for the canopy? I think the under carriage needs raking forward a few mm, but I haven't had chance to work on mine lately.