HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 13, 2013, 10:57 PM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
876 Posts
Discussion
CL Nats next week -- been FF this week

I know Bob wrote he was going. I didn't say anything because it was too "iffy", but I won't be there. This forum has been very quiet most of the past few days, however, I haven't thought that competition was a large factor in the hobby for more than just a few of the participants here . .

I'm betting it's just the time of year, generally, keeping people away from keyboards.

Kiwi
The Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by The Kiwi
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2013, 03:35 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kiwi View Post
This forum has been very quiet most of the past few days, however, I haven't thought that competition was a large factor in the hobby for more than just a few of the participants here
I believe that's true though I'll probably be spectating at the Nats. But since there is (quite a lot of) C/L life outside the US of A the Nats I'll be at isn't until the end of August .

Steve
slipstick is online now Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Jul 14, 2013, 02:08 PM
I am 5' 8" the Taube is 7' 4"
USA, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Jan 2008
627 Posts
The wife and I went up to Muncie to watch the CL Scale event.

Friday night a Pilots meeting was held where Allen Goff passed out a 1 page status report on the work being done by the CL Scale Rules review committee that was established at last years NATS. Good questions were asked about how certain maneuvers or Options should be flown.

Saturday night was the NASA (National Association of Scale Aeromodelers) Banquet. For the first time the plaques, provided by John Brodak, for the top static scores in each of the five CL classes were given out at the banquet. I was in the opposite corner and only heard one name. Drum roll please! Sport Scale high static was won by David Platt! Yes that David Platt. The level of competition is going up!
Clancy
Clancy Arnold is offline Find More Posts by Clancy Arnold
Old Jul 14, 2013, 08:25 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,556 Posts
Dave Platt has been known for competing at US CL Scale Nats, over many years, although I had not heard of him doing so for quite some time.

Maybe it will rejuvinate an interest in CL Scale? I hope so!
packardpursuit is offline Find More Posts by packardpursuit
Old Jul 15, 2013, 08:44 AM
USA, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Jan 2008
627 Posts
I first met Dave at the 1987 NATS. I had volunteered to be a Scale Static Judge. As a first timer I was paired with an experienced Judge, David Platt. We judged RC Sport Scale Sportsman class. That was an education, my static scores improved after that. The next year I was helping Dave carry his entry into the judging area when he asked if I was doing Static Judging. I said Yes, then he asked me to close my eyes then immediatley recended that idea and just asked me not to look at it. I again judged Sport Scale Sportsman class so I did not judge david's model. I peeked! At 0 feet I could not see any thing wrong with the model!
Clancy
Last edited by Clancy Arnold; Jul 15, 2013 at 08:53 AM.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 12:01 AM
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy Arnold View Post
I first met Dave at the 1987 NATS. I had volunteered to be a Scale Static Judge. As a first timer I was paired with an experienced Judge, David Platt. We judged RC Sport Scale Sportsman class. That was an education, my static scores improved after that. The next year I was helping Dave carry his entry into the judging area when he asked if I was doing Static Judging. I said Yes, then he asked me to close my eyes then immediatley recended that idea and just asked me not to look at it. I again judged Sport Scale Sportsman class so I did not judge david's model. I peeked! At 0 feet I could not see any thing wrong with the model!
Clancy
1968, Olathe, Kansas Nats. Dave was unloading his (R/C) SBD Dauntless from the trunk of a white '65 Pontiac Tempest onto a Radio Flyer wagon for transport to the Scale cage in the hanger. Everyone just sort of looked on and Wow! was likely the main thought. I had never seen a model airplane in my life that looked as "real" as that one did, even today I recall it vividly.
JKinTX is offline Find More Posts by JKinTX
Old Jul 16, 2013, 04:09 PM
United States, FL, Titusville
Joined Jan 2007
222 Posts
Shoooooooot! Granted Mr. Platt is a very wonderful man and rates the title as a master builder but I recall one time in the past where the judging was just about over. He an I were head to head in a scale judging event. The judges even requested extra time to go over the entries one more time. Finally the tally and my score topped him by .... oh man, it just wasn't funny .... I won the event! Oh, the cheers from the crowd were astounding .... I was estatic!! He graciously came over to shake my hand and give me a pat on the back .....

then I woke up and went to the bathroom ...
propaplace is offline Find More Posts by propaplace
Old Jul 24, 2013, 05:47 PM
USA, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Jan 2008
627 Posts
The next NATS a year after meeting Dave I was helping him with his CL Old Time Stunt plane. He was having engine run problems so he asked me to fly it so that he could watch the plane in flight and figure out what the problem was.

I flew it level for several laps and nothing happened so I thought I would try to loop it. It got about just past vertical when the engine quit. A quick near full down and I landed it smoothly. Then we saw the problem. The fuel pickup tube had broken loose and dumped the diesel fuel inside the model turning the covering transparent!
Clancy
Old Jul 29, 2013, 03:13 PM
F2D Pilot/Mechanic
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Dec 2011
401 Posts
Nats

Well after getting back on the computer after the NATS. Thought I might give a small report. We had the F2D team trials the weekend before the NATS this year. Had a really good turnout of 34 pilots. I made it to 7th place, my brother Andy made it to 5th. Not good enough for team membership. But I do think we will Have one of our finest team representing us next year. They are Josh Ellison, Mark Rudner, and Richard Stubblefield. Stubb amazes me every year with his flying skills. And with him its all flying skills. Rarely does he hit the ground, and if he does, one of his pit crew doesnt move.
AMA F2D Started Monday with 32 pilots I think. Another great turnout. I made it to 5th for this one. Top two were Andrew Nadiene and Andy Mears.
They flew Fast2D, 75mph, 1/2A and big block fast the rest of the week, but I didnt stay for those. But I did hear that Rylan Rich (Randy Rich's boy, from Rich's Brew fuels) Won 1/2A and 75mph. He is an up and coming jr. pilot and doing very well. Great to see him flying well. He was our Jr. at the world championships last year, but Sasha Nadien took the honor this year to be on the USA team in Poland next year.
Was a great contest. AMA has set combat up with their own location with a couple of F2D legal concrete pilot circles. We hope to continue doing the team trials in Muncie and keep entries at the 30 plus level.
Bob Mears is online now Find More Posts by Bob Mears
Old Jul 29, 2013, 08:44 PM
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mears View Post
Well after getting back on the computer after the NATS. Thought I might give a small report. We had the F2D team trials the weekend before the NATS this year. Had a really good turnout of 34 pilots. I made it to 7th place, my brother Andy made it to 5th. Not good enough for team membership. But I do think we will Have one of our finest team representing us next year. They are Josh Ellison, Mark Rudner, and Richard Stubblefield. Stubb amazes me every year with his flying skills. And with him its all flying skills. Rarely does he hit the ground, and if he does, one of his pit crew doesnt move.
AMA F2D Started Monday with 32 pilots I think. Another great turnout. I made it to 5th for this one. Top two were Andrew Nadiene and Andy Mears.
They flew Fast2D, 75mph, 1/2A and big block fast the rest of the week, but I didnt stay for those. But I did hear that Rylan Rich (Randy Rich's boy, from Rich's Brew fuels) Won 1/2A and 75mph. He is an up and coming jr. pilot and doing very well. Great to see him flying well. He was our Jr. at the world championships last year, but Sasha Nadien took the honor this year to be on the USA team in Poland next year.
Was a great contest. AMA has set combat up with their own location with a couple of F2D legal concrete pilot circles. We hope to continue doing the team trials in Muncie and keep entries at the 30 plus level.
I have watched Stubb fly several times and he has always impressed me as being real darn good yet not pompous or arrogant about it.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 09:09 PM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
876 Posts
Never confuse the top combat pilots with far too many of the top Aerobatics competition types. It was not originally so. The "Stunt" pilots of the 50s-60s-70s were regular model plane people. I watched and heard an unhealthy percentage of them change into something not recognizable.

I've seen Richard fly a hundred times, probably multiples of hundreds. He has always been both competitive and even-tempered. I also watched two of his brothers fly when they and I were about the same age; a couple of times, I drew their numbers for the pyramid. At least once, I went to a Houston contest (I think in Houston), at which the twins got into a row and were denied the chance to compete that day because they couldn't settle down (Mr, Stubblefield grounded them, not the contest CD -- that pair was occasionally unruly).

Kiwi
Last edited by The Kiwi; Jul 30, 2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 09:21 PM
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
Quote:
Never confuse the top combat pilots with almost all of the top Aerobatics types. It was not originally so. The "Stunt" pilots of the 50s-60s-70s were regular model plane people. I watched and heard them change to something not recognizable.

I've seen Richard fly a hundred times, probably multiples of hundreds. He has always been both competitive and even-tempered. I also watched two of his brothers fly when they and I were about the same age; a couple of times, I drew their numbers for the pyramid. At least once, I went to a Houston contest (I think in Houston), at which the twins got into a row and were denied the chance to compete that day because they couldn't settle down (Mr, Stubblefield grounded them, not the contest CD).

Kiwi
Yep!

I never got to actually meet GMA, but Stubb always impressed me as being understated just as George did in his letters and emails. He was the best, but he never lauded it over anyone.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 11:14 AM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
876 Posts
I met George, Don Still, Bob Palmer, Jack Sheeks, and one other back in the 50s-60s, from the midwest, designed the Dolphin, Ruffy, Shark, and a semi-scale twin stunter -- ran a hobby shop for decades. Mc-something, maybe McFarland? George is the stunt and engines guy I knew best.

Incidentally, I may have gotten up too early, or stayed up too late, when I painted with such a wide brush about the Primma Donna antics of some current 'big name" aerobatics fliers. I've toned it down a mite, after consideration.

P. S. How could I leave Jack off that roll call?
Last edited by The Kiwi; Jul 30, 2013 at 05:30 PM.
Old Aug 08, 2013, 05:25 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
1,405 Posts
My dad wouldn't let me fly Combat or Rat in the 60's because the people involved were like the Hells Angels. That's what he said, anyway.
Chris...
stuntflyr is online now Find More Posts by stuntflyr
Old Aug 09, 2013, 04:37 AM
gcb
Joined Sep 2008
136 Posts
Quote:
I met George, Don Still, Bob Palmer, Jack Sheeks, and one other back in the 50s-60s, from the midwest, designed the Dolphin, Ruffy, Shark, and a semi-scale twin stunter -- ran a hobby shop for decades. Mc-something, maybe McFarland? George is the stunt and engines guy I knew best.
Yes, that would be Lew McFarland of Lexington, KY. Lew left us in 2011.

Chatted online with GMA once about him catching a competitor's stunt plane in mid-air when the fellow's engine quit while inverted. George said that no contest was worth not helping a friend.

George
gcb is offline Find More Posts by gcb