HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 25, 2012, 05:24 PM
Joined Dec 2012
15 Posts
Discussion
Newbie ...saying hello

Just a big kid at heart. Always wanted to get into RC planes or Helicopters. Wife bought me a Fire Eagle 42. Haven't found much about it. Not sure if this is the best one to break into flying Helicopters with? Looks like a pretty good forum to learn from.
hollywoodgt is offline Find More Posts by hollywoodgt
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 25, 2012, 06:01 PM
Get to the choppa!
United States, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Sep 2012
358 Posts
Welcome to the forum, you will find everyone here friendly and helpfull. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with your helicopter. But I am sure someone is.
RFDelie is offline Find More Posts by RFDelie
Old Dec 25, 2012, 07:05 PM
Joined Dec 2012
15 Posts
Thank you for the reply.....just had a chance to attempt to fly it inside. It's similar to the mini my son has just 10 times the size. Just a little intimidating to fly indoors. So so much to learn after just browsing through the forum. Different types of Heli's controllers etc.

Thank you again
Old Dec 25, 2012, 07:59 PM
Get to the choppa!
Joined Sep 2012
358 Posts
Ahh I looked it up, coaxials are pretty easy and stable. You will find it a little tough to fly in the wind. They are good for beginners. After you master that you will start wanting a more maneuverable helicopter, that is when you will start getting into to the single blade collective pitch (cp) helicopters. That is when you will really need our help. 8)
Old Dec 25, 2012, 10:19 PM
Joined Dec 2012
15 Posts
Saaaaweeet ...then I'm moving in the right direction! Sounds like a simulator might be a good move. Then some recommendations on maybe another copter. Thank you again for your follow up
Old Dec 25, 2012, 10:40 PM
banging head on wall
Joined Feb 2010
1,219 Posts
Did a search to see what it is and you might need this http://www.feala.com/jts-825-825A-fi...parts-list.htm don't know ahything about the company so you might ask the groups. allot of this type of helicopter you have can be a problem to find parts for I'm surprised this came up as the first link. Welcome to the groups and good luck with your new adventure
skyeblu is offline Find More Posts by skyeblu
Old Dec 25, 2012, 11:19 PM
Get to the choppa!
Joined Sep 2012
358 Posts
I actually never used a sim. One of the friends I made here sent me one, but I havent used it yet because I am waiting for the cables to arrive.

I learned tofly without one.Not saying they arebad,it was just my path. My first helicopter was a 450 sized helicopter Align TREX 450 sport. It was a kit that I built from scratch. I wont get into clones or name brand here because there are numerous opinions on that. But I can point you towards some web reasources.

Learning how to build and work on helicopters you want to go to:
http://mikeysrc.com/Low-Cost-450-Heli.html and watch his videos. Also there is a guy named 'finlessbob' over at helifreak.com that has great videos.

I learned how to fly by following the flight school at rchelicopterfun.com There are alot of great reasources there. I learned without a sim, but I do plan to use it to practice more difficult maneuvers.

There are also micro sized single rotor CP helis out there like the genius cp (v2) and the Blade MCPX. I have a genius and it flies close enough to my larger helis that I can work out some stuff on it first, and if you crash it it keeps going. You may want to start there. Everyone takes a different path so I dont want to tell you how to go and it not be right for you.

This is an expensive and addicting hobby so tread carefully, you have not yet passed the point of no return. If you have any questions feel free to send me a message.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 11:53 PM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,470 Posts
What's your target heli? An outdoors heli like a 450 class, or just something smaller you can fly indoors without much fear of crashing or breaking?
Hajile is offline Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:55 AM
Joined Dec 2012
15 Posts
My target heli would be to fly outdoors. Can't say I would want to be into stunting or anything. I live on six acres, so a place to fly is not an issue. So one mentioned a point of no return....funny just about any of my hobbies are like that. My main hobby is photography and I have a ton into that. Ive always wanted to be able to fly either a plane or Heli ...so I gues now is a good time to get my feet wet.

I'm just not sure about what simulator to buy....looks like the Pheonix Pro 4.0 I think that comes with a controller, but need to do a little more reading. The Heli I have looks like an entry level copter, but I believe my wife paid like 130.00 - 150.00 for it. It apppears ytou can get a decent copter for around the 200.00 range. Then again I'm still trying to figure out what a good name is? Who has easy access to replacement parts etc. There's a Hobby Lobby close to us, I may roll over there today and see what they have. If they have the simulator, I'll pick one up.

Thanks again for the input. It is greatly appreciated.....plus I can excel with learnning by the groups wealth of knowledge and mistakes.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:30 AM
WOS
United States, IN, Michigan City
Joined Nov 2003
808 Posts
Depending on what size heli your looking for, Align is the top name but you have HK and EXI to name a couple clones. Most if not all of the above mentioned have interchangeable parts so parts shouldn't be an issue. Get the best radio you can afford though, spektrum is what a majority of what people use and if possible get a DX7 or DX7S which you can find all day here on RCG Classifieds
WOS is offline Find More Posts by WOS
Old Dec 26, 2012, 01:39 PM
Get to the choppa!
Joined Sep 2012
358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodgt View Post
My target heli would be to fly outdoors. Can't say I would want to be into stunting or anything. I live on six acres, so a place to fly is not an issue. So one mentioned a point of no return....funny just about any of my hobbies are like that. My main hobby is photography and I have a ton into that. Ive always wanted to be able to fly either a plane or Heli ...so I gues now is a good time to get my feet wet.

I'm just not sure about what simulator to buy....looks like the Pheonix Pro 4.0 I think that comes with a controller, but need to do a little more reading. The Heli I have looks like an entry level copter, but I believe my wife paid like 130.00 - 150.00 for it. It apppears ytou can get a decent copter for around the 200.00 range. Then again I'm still trying to figure out what a good name is? Who has easy access to replacement parts etc. There's a Hobby Lobby close to us, I may roll over there today and see what they have. If they have the simulator, I'll pick one up.

Thanks again for the input. It is greatly appreciated.....plus I can excel with learnning by the groups wealth of knowledge and mistakes.
You have what is called a coaxial helicopter, they are good for beginners because they self stabilize, but this comes at a cost. Because of the dual rotors and 45 degree flybar they cannot achieve fast forward flight. Plus the long shaft with the dual rotors act like sails in the wind so you will find it almost impossible to control in the wind. Yes phoenix is what people use. It will come with a cable that you can plug into your transmitter if it is supported (there is a list on the website). If space is not an issue I would look into a 450 size helicopters, they are the best compromise between stability (you get with a larger bird) and cost (which goes up greatly on sizes larger than 450). Even still, you probably will not get one of those in the air for under 400 - 500 if you do not already have a controller.

I found a kit that comes with a radio (allbeit a cheap radio): http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...rvos-CF-Blades

You can find kits without a radio. Like this one: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Carbon-Blades

Then you will need batteries: (atleast 2 I have 4): http://www.clubheli.com/Levego-3S-26...tery_p_70.html

Dont forget a charger: http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html

If you are already into photography it will only be a matter of time before you strap a camera onto your heli and do some finming. But that is for a new post.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:21 PM
Don't take any wooden nickels
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
2,357 Posts
Just to add onto the simulator part of the conversation, there are a few free sims out there. But being free some are not very realistic, yet still a very good practice tool for things like aircraft orientation. When the heli is facing you some controls will seem opposite, or the same facing sideways, most people learn tail-in first as the controls make most sense this way.

Check out FMS & Helisimrc. Helisimrc, is cool because you can get familiar with and play with throttle hold, expo/dual rates, throttle/pitch curves, idle-up, and more actual rc heli settings. FMS is kind of dated, and kind of sucks, but it had it's day and some people still use it. Helisimrc looks better too, and you can download a higher quality background. Another free sim is rcdeskpilot, but I like helisimrc better.

Clearview is a free trial sim, $40 to buy. Some people swear by this sim, it does look better than the free sims and the physics are a lot more realistic.

Also checkout heli-x, I don't have any info on it though. I don't know if it's free or similar to clearview.

To use any pc sim you'll have to have a usb transmitter controller, or a usb adaptor for a real tx. You can get a cheap dynam usb tx from xheli for like $15 (or something), it's not the greatest thought, and xheli is a real piece of work themselves (look them up here or on google, I don't condone them but they're not too bad for little things).

As far as a 450 heli, if you're going to get a clone look at the brand Tarot. Personally, having first gone the route of an EXI 450 pro, I would skip EXI & HK altogether. But that's just my opinion, I realize it's subjective. Otherwise Align is very nice itself, at least my Trex 450 pro is, I can't speak for the 450 Plus. The Plus tx actually looks decent though, isn't it a futaba?
finguz is online now Find More Posts by finguz
Last edited by finguz; Dec 26, 2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:26 PM
WOS
United States, IN, Michigan City
Joined Nov 2003
808 Posts
I will agree on the cost.
Not knowing your financial situation regardless of what type of heli, 450 would be a great starter heli which you can grow with as they can do about anything the larger heli's can do, get the best radio you can afford. If you search what people here are using again would be a spektrum radio. But if your into photography as stated above then you will be moving into bigger heli's.
GET A GOOD SIM FIRST! Spend your money on a good sim as a good sim will be like flying a real heli. If you find you can't fly a heli on a sim you won't be able to fly a real heli either.
I started over 12 years ago without a sim and boy did I pay. Practice on the sim till you can hover at all angles, tail in nose in, side in then the other side till you can hover in all directions and making corrections becomes second nature. I think it is called muscle memory and practice till it becomes natural corrections no matter what direction your heli is facing. I can fly around on a sim and do mild 3D, too afraid to do any 3D with my trex 500, but sometimes I go left when I was suppose to go right. When flying the sim have a pad of paper and pen next to you. When you crash on a sim imagine the parts you will have to repair and put them down on paper and look up part pricing. DO this and everytime you crash you will see how much that crash just cost you if flying the real heli
WOS is offline Find More Posts by WOS
Old Dec 26, 2012, 07:47 PM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Jan 2012
949 Posts
Hi and welcome. You got yourself what we call a Mall Helicopter. My wife got me one a year ago. Now a year later, I heavily into the hobby both with time and money.

Your helicoptyer is a 3 channel type. It goes up/down, turns left/right, and goes forward/backward. It has a horizontal tail blade that control the forward and backward motion. The next step is a 4 channel coax. This type has no tail rotor at all. It has a swashplate so the lower rotor can tip. This design adds side to side motion.

Big coaxs like yours are sort of a pain. They are two big for indoors yet won't fly well outdoors. They will drift away in anything but dead calm.

The next step up is a 4 channel Fixed Pitch or FP. Most of these also do very poorly outdoors.

For outdoors flying, you must have a collective pitch or CP. However, you do not need a big one. The good micros will fly fine outdoors.

The best brand to get started is Blade. Buy the following: a DX6i radio which will fly any Blade helicopter, an mCX2 micro coax, and then a Nano CPx. The mCX2 is a small micro coax. It flies well indoors and won't damage anything. the nano will get you going outdoors. Phoenix simulator will work directly with the DX6i and is a very good idea.

Go to rchelicopterfun.com It is a great site with tons of free info about all the different kinds of helicopters and everything else to do with helicopters.
rhodesengr is online now Find More Posts by rhodesengr
Last edited by rhodesengr; Dec 26, 2012 at 07:50 PM. Reason: typos
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:02 PM
Joined Dec 2012
15 Posts
Wow guys this is just like my photography forum. What a great group of guys you are. I'm not a Mr Money Bags ...but money is not the issue. So appreciate the advise you guys are giving me and I'll take as much as i can get. Captjack has been a big help too.

Thanks again
Last edited by hollywoodgt; Dec 26, 2012 at 08:58 PM.