HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:50 PM
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
140 Posts
Discussion
A Scale 3M ship that thermals???!

So many of you probably already know the Let Models ASW 28 as it's not new, but man it is solid!
I was on the lookout for a smaller scale ship that would still thermal and be fun to fly. I'm skeptical of the smaller scale stuff because I've not had luck with it in the past.
I'm sure you guys have eyed this thing at USA soaring or the like (ASW 27 28):
http://www.soaringusa.com/ASW-24-27-28.html

The Let ASW 28 (3M wingspan although I believe you can get the 2.5M span as well) is honestly amazing. I wanted to put a post up for you guys that don't have any immediate access to slopes and want a small scale thermaling glider.

I bought mine used (just recently you may remember the posting. Thanks Wayne!) and I've been flying it like crazy. I'm running a 2200mah 4s pack but honestly this is WAAY to much power. I'm going to switch to a 3s 400w setup and still have plenty IMO. I'm hoping to get it a little lighter in the process to boot. that or I'm just going to keep flying it cause it flies so nice.

This is the picture of my maiden toss. I went home because it started raining and it felt a little goosy.
I was convinced this would be the same as the others and note fly great, tip stall, etc.
The following day was sunny and breezy. Not great conditions but not bad ones either and on my first pack, I specked it out!!!!

I have now specked this thing out over 5 times in 3 days of flying! I am new to soaring and I honestly didn't think it would happen as I've been messing with the smaller scale stuff and having no luck.. I figured these really only worked on the slope. I'll admit I'm pretty new at soaring so if you actually know what you are doing you will probably shred with this thing.
Anyway, I just wanted to share this as I'm sure there are other people that like the scale stuff but think they can't get performance with the smaller ships.
THIS ONE CAN DO IT all. Flips, rolls (lots of rudder to get it going) and inverted flight right into a steep thermaling turns.
Well designed airfoil.
I love the flexy wings, very scale. Nice flex in tight turns and flips.

Anyway, I search google all the time before buying planes and look for reviews like this, hopefully this helps someone. Good luck...
pete914 is offline Find More Posts by pete914
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:41 AM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
7,084 Posts
I had one of the LET 3m ASW 28. They do fly great. However if you really want to see how well they fly you need to nix the motor and battery. Mine weighed in at 58 oz.
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:09 AM
Chico, California USA
Joined Mar 2003
467 Posts
Glad to see it arrived ok, the 'coffin' must have done it's job!

Wayne
Salmon-Run is online now Find More Posts by Salmon-Run
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:40 PM
Xroadie
St. Louis, Missouri
Joined Mar 2006
332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjensen View Post
I had one of the LET 3m ASW 28. They do fly great. However if you really want to see how well they fly you need to nix the motor and battery. Mine weighed in at 58 oz.
David! Did you winch and or use a hi-start to launch yours? I was just eying that model, with the thought of using an HD hi-start to launch it.
Pete
xroadie is offline Find More Posts by xroadie
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:33 PM
United Kingdom, England, Northd
Joined Nov 2005
917 Posts
I have the all molded 3m Royal-Model ASH26 and it too thermals very well, although I have read on forums that it would not. I likes to be kept moving mind you but performs scale aerobatics beautifully. I enjoy flying it as much as my 4m machines.
simonslim is offline Find More Posts by simonslim
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:42 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
7,084 Posts
A brick can thermal. If you want to really thermal fly you need to get a DLG or a RES. My ASW was never high started, only aerotowed and flown on the slope. I don't think this ship would be good on a winch or HS as the wing tips are not flying when you throw it.
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:00 AM
Xroadie
St. Louis, Missouri
Joined Mar 2006
332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjensen View Post
A brick can thermal. If you want to really thermal fly you need to get a DLG or a RES. My ASW was never high started, only aerotowed and flown on the slope. I don't think this ship would be good on a winch or HS as the wing tips are not flying when you throw it.
I have plenty of much bigger birds for aerotowing. I am looking for a smaller scale bird to just take to the park to winch or hi-start. I figured at 58oz. it wouldn't be much trouble to winch or hi start, I used to winch much heavier birds than that. I caught the bug after hi-starting the little E-Flight ASK21 the other day at the park. I only get to fly my scale ships once or twice a year at aerotow events...it would be nice to have one I can just take to the park and fly by myself. I noticed that LET now makes a version of this model that is already electrified. I may go that route!
xroadie is offline Find More Posts by xroadie
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:34 AM
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
140 Posts
That's exactly why I have electrified this bird:
1. allows quick flying with minimal setup (vs hi-start/ wench setup/breakdown)
2. allows a plane that doesn't thermal like a DLG to get high enough to give you a chance to find the thermal and bailout if you don't

Further, I would say a brick doesn't thermal as I've never seen one aloft when I fly full-scale sailplanes.

I'm loath cutting the nose off of a glider to electrify it but I'm more of a pilot than a builder and I too like to fly my scale stuff more than 2x/year...
pete914 is offline Find More Posts by pete914
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:58 PM
Blenheim, NZ
Joined Dec 2007
1,197 Posts
How about a Condor

Yes I know they are not scale but they look very scale like.
Fli Fli's Condor at 3 meters looks the part with winglets and big glassed cockpit. The best part is they fly really well and thermal fine. Lots of folks have electrified them and you can find a thread about them on this group. Perhaps the best part is they are cheap as chips.

Allan
AllanK1 is offline Find More Posts by AllanK1