HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 20, 2010, 07:10 PM
Casselberry, FL
Joined Mar 2007
201 Posts
Help!
UNKNOWN 6m

I could use some help identifying this sailplane and also some set-up tips.
I acquired it locally after it was damaged. The previous owner had cut off the nose and powered it with an electric motor. The fuse and wings were damaged after a crash landing-I think more of a crash and less of a landing. I've done all the repairs except some painting which will be later and making a canopy-the foam block will do for know. I rebuilt the nose for aerotow. I think I have it close to flyable and would like to get it finished and in the air. So here is what I need help with:
-Can anyone identify this model? There are no markings inside or out. To me it kinda looks like a Discus.
-How about a CG location. The airfoil is in the HQ family-undercambered in the rear. I roughly balanced it at the wing thru-rod. The weight right now is 23 lbs. which is comparable to some current 6M's
-Control throws- There are 2 flaps on the inboard wing, ailerons on the outer panel, rudder and elevator. How about an estimate on control throws? I got the other stuff figured out OK-retract gear, spoiler and tow release.
Thanks in advance for any advice-Bill
BStaley is offline Find More Posts by BStaley
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2010, 07:17 PM
Less Whinning, More Flying
SF Bay Area, USA
Joined Feb 2003
1,773 Posts
Nice job on the rebuild. Definitely not a Discus, but a dead ringer for Ventus 2 or 2cx.
Sailhigh is offline Find More Posts by Sailhigh
Old Nov 20, 2010, 07:18 PM
North Yorkshire UK, on a big hill facing the prevailing wind. Coincidence?
Joined Oct 2007
915 Posts
Hi Bill - I think it's a Ventus 2c, probably by HF model although there's a few manufacturers make them this size. It's really nice looking.

Hopefully some of the 1/3 scale Ventus owners will step in here and offer you some settings.

Good luck with the first flight.

Rog
Sutton Bank is offline Find More Posts by Sutton Bank
Old Nov 20, 2010, 09:25 PM
Forest Hill, Qld 'Stralia
Joined Oct 2008
159 Posts
I reckon Ventus 2cx

http://www.faltusmodel.com/en16.htm
RCDART is offline Find More Posts by RCDART
Old Nov 20, 2010, 09:55 PM
Melbourne,Victoria,Australia
Joined Apr 2010
1,516 Posts
Its a ventus 2cx-the polyhedral wings- outer tip panels.Big,thats for sure,icarerc would have similar size models on their website,under sailplanes>4M.regards damo
Damian Couzoff is offline Find More Posts by Damian Couzoff
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:31 PM
TEAM HORIZON
Killingworth CT
Joined Nov 2008
2,548 Posts
Hi Bill
Can you send a picture of the wing spar? That may help determine the origin. Is it a built in spar or a rod?

Also, if possible. take a picture of the retract unit, that also helps, along with where the elevator servo is and how it connects. All these things will give clues.

Congratulations on the repair, looks good. the weight should not be much of an issue.

LEN
Lbuff1 is online now Find More Posts by Lbuff1
Old Nov 20, 2010, 11:06 PM
Vintage wood is the best!
In a house
Joined Sep 2002
2,850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbuff1 View Post
.......the weight should not be much of an issue.
If anything it might be to light!
SZD16 is offline Find More Posts by SZD16
Old Nov 21, 2010, 04:54 AM
Holland
Joined Jan 2004
354 Posts
Hi Bill,

If it would be a HF Ventus it would have glass wings and two-piece wings. Also the way the retract looks and the way it is built in the fuselage would give away if it is a Chech built glider.
Then again repairing a glass wing after a crash is not that easy, so I take it you might have a foam/wood sandwich wing.

Could you give info on the wing construction?
Harm is offline Find More Posts by Harm
Old Nov 21, 2010, 08:04 AM
Casselberry, FL
Joined Mar 2007
201 Posts
6m

What drove me to think it was a Discus is the shape of the wing tips-just flared up with no winglets. The wing is hollow-moulded(?), no foam sandwich. The wing spar was not damaged, just a separation of the fiberglass in front of the spar in several areas. The rod thru the fuse is steel.
I'm at work now-I'll post some more pix this afternoon. Bill
Last edited by BStaley; Nov 21, 2010 at 08:11 AM.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 09:21 AM
TEAM HORIZON
Killingworth CT
Joined Nov 2008
2,548 Posts
Steel wing rod rules out HF models. Hollow molded wing, with steel rod, Poss KV designs
Retract photo might help.

http://scaleplanes.vagenknecht.cz/in...ctDetail&pid=0

Tail doesn't look right though,

len
Old Nov 21, 2010, 09:43 AM
Norway
Joined Jul 2005
796 Posts
Could be the LET Ventus... The retract could tell, yes.
http://www.letmodel.cz/gallery-ventus2c.htm

Some years ago the retracts did NOT look like those on their web-site.
jooNorway is offline Find More Posts by jooNorway
Old Nov 21, 2010, 01:04 PM
North Yorkshire UK, on a big hill facing the prevailing wind. Coincidence?
Joined Oct 2007
915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BStaley View Post
What drove me to think it was a Discus is the shape of the wing tips-just flared up with no winglets.
Hi Bill,

Just for info... early versions of both Discus and Ventus had polyhedral tips, later models of both usually have winglets.

Rog
Sutton Bank is offline Find More Posts by Sutton Bank
Old Nov 21, 2010, 01:20 PM
so. cal.
Joined Jan 2006
2,777 Posts
I have a LET Ventus 2cx and it is definately not LET, too many differences, and FYI, a Discus and Ventus are basically the same, only the Ventus is a Discus with flaps. But who cares what it is and who made it, just get it flying! And for control throws, normal throws pretty much like any TD ship, 2 to 1 diff, about a half inch up and down on the elevator should do fine for first flight.
s2000 is online now Find More Posts by s2000
Old Nov 21, 2010, 08:43 PM
Casselberry, FL
Joined Mar 2007
201 Posts
Here are some more pix, one of the retract, tail and some of the damage.Fortunately the damage was fairly easy to repair-it looks worse than you might think. There was no damage past the upper fuse as shown and the wing saddle was intact, so there was no change to wing mounting, incidence, etc. There was no damage to the wing spar, so it was just piecing together and re-inforcing the skin. Kinda like a jig-saw puzzle!
Bill
Old Nov 21, 2010, 09:02 PM
TEAM HORIZON
Killingworth CT
Joined Nov 2008
2,548 Posts
Hmmmmmm, I'm out.