SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 13, 2009, 01:00 AM
Joined Mar 2006
104 Posts
Discussion
recycle gyro sensor from broken digital camera

I have the broken digital camera. It has vibration delete function, so I understand that it has built-in gyro sensor. I'ld like to use it for my DIY gyro.
But when I look over the circuit board, it hard to point-out which IC is the sensor. How can I search the code on SMT device ?
Peterfly is offline Find More Posts by Peterfly
Last edited by Peterfly; Jun 14, 2009 at 10:40 PM. Reason: wrong spelling
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2009, 02:24 AM
Chief Dumb Thumb
United States, SD, Tripp
Joined Jun 2009
120 Posts
Type the code from the IC into google.. You will get all of the necessary datasheets.

BTW It is probably an accelarometer not a gyro. You would be better off to buy a dedicated IC and design your own board using express pcb or eagle, both free.

For a circuit check any of the popular robotics websites.

Ted
coulee is online now Find More Posts by coulee
Old Jun 13, 2009, 08:24 AM
7000mw of raw power!
New Hampshire (not the old one)
Joined Dec 2006
5,986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterfly
I have the broken digital camera. It has vibration delete function, so I understand that it has built-in gyro sensor. I'ld like to use it for my DIY gyro.
But when I look over the circuit board, it hard to point-out which IC is the sensor. How can I search the code on SMT device ?
There is no gyro in that camera. It makes little sense to try salvaging or building your own gyro anyway. Get replacement unit with servo/RX interface from Esky or Walkera.
rich smith is offline Find More Posts by rich smith
Old Jun 13, 2009, 03:52 PM
"Simplify, then add lightness"
Raleigh,NC
Joined Nov 2000
2,701 Posts
There are plenty of digital cameras with gyro sensors in them. There will probably be a pair of gyros and they will be mounted at right angles to each other on the pc board. I have several boards from broken cameras with Murata gyros on them. They are in tiny silver cans. The Murata gyros have two different resonant frequencies (will have different suffix letters) so they can be mounted close together without interfering with each other. Here is a spec sheet for the ones on my Panasonic camera boards.
jeffs555 is offline Find More Posts by jeffs555
Old Jun 13, 2009, 04:12 PM
7000mw of raw power!
New Hampshire (not the old one)
Joined Dec 2006
5,986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs555
There are plenty of digital cameras with gyro sensors in them. There will probably be a pair of gyros and they will be mounted at right angles to each other on the pc board. I have several boards from broken cameras with Murata gyros on them. They are in tiny silver cans. The Murata gyros have two different resonant frequencies (will have different suffix letters) so they can be mounted close together without interfering with each other. Here is a spec sheet for the ones on my Panasonic camera boards.
I stand corrected. Mine had acceleometers. What model cameras have gyros? If OP posted a picture we could probably locate it.
rich smith is offline Find More Posts by rich smith
Old Jun 13, 2009, 05:48 PM
"Simplify, then add lightness"
Raleigh,NC
Joined Nov 2000
2,701 Posts
Not sure which models, but Canon, Pentax, Olympus,Panasonic,Sony and many others have cameras with gyro stabilization. I have several Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ2 to DMC-LZ7 cameras and they all have two Murata gyros. Also have a Canon that I think uses Murata. Here is a dual axis gyro from Sanyo that Google says is used in several different brands of camera. http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/1147...stabilization/
jeffs555 is offline Find More Posts by jeffs555
Old Jun 13, 2009, 06:27 PM
Joined Apr 2009
188 Posts
Well, a MEMS Gyro would be nice, but the ones used in digital cameras do have way too little maximum rates for any useful use as a tail gyro. Except you would like to turn your tail with just about 60/s

If the camera uses Piezos, you could use them, but they are so cheap to buy anyway. But if you like...
OiOi is offline Find More Posts by OiOi