New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 09, 2015, 09:32 AM
Find More Posts by no Depron
Joined Mar 2014
157 Posts
This Focke Wulf "Ente" flew well until I smashed is at hand launch.
I had to modify the canard. The elevator flaps are too small by far in scale size. I had to more than double their area. But even with allmost no reaction on elevator it was easy to control ... by throttle.
Easy flying, even capable of a controled spin, just a bit fast for this size of a model (500mm span).

The Ambrosini S.S. 4 has bee a very fast model. Too fast for hand launch. besides there wasn't anything to ge a hold. So it was launched by bungee.
This model also had poor response on elevator but much better than the Focke Wulf. But once in the air it was a pleasure to fly it.
Its last flight was very short. Someting with the receiver went out of order under the acceleration of the bungee and the model roled to the left befor it came free from the rope. It got spread over the whole meadow.

The next canard project will be the Henschel concept study.
no Depron is offline Find More Posts by no Depron
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2015, 10:35 AM
Find More Posts by Timbo383
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Sep 2013
492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by no Depron View Post

The next canard project will be the Henschel concept study.
Interesting concept, but can you tell me why you have the vert stab underneath?.....I'm a beginner and just want to know what difference that would make in flight.
Timbo383 is offline Find More Posts by Timbo383
Old Aug 09, 2015, 10:44 AM
Find More Posts by nuteman
Joined Apr 2013
1,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_o View Post
Yes, even if it's in the "experimental" category, weight and balance sheets are there. They just don't tell me anything about the relationship to the trim setting, which I normally (RC) tend to use as an indicator for CoG placement.
Moving CG back always results in less required up-trim for a given level-flight power setting.
As long as you don't end up aft of the aft CG limit, you should be good to go and you'll require less up-trim AND you'll have less drag (an almost inconsequential amount, but nevertheless less).
nuteman is offline Find More Posts by nuteman
Old Aug 10, 2015, 08:12 AM
Find More Posts by mike_o
Denmark, Nærum
Joined Jan 2012
2,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuteman View Post
Moving CG back always results in less required up-trim for a given level-flight power setting.
As long as you don't end up aft of the aft CG limit, you should be good to go and you'll require less up-trim AND you'll have less drag (an almost inconsequential amount, but nevertheless less).
Thanks. I would expect less drag, ánd especially I wouldn't mind lowered turbulence from the canard wing, which in itself, I'm sure, would improve main wing airflow. I'm am aware though, that the wing load of the canard must be higher than on the main wing....

Also, and equally important, the take off distance / distance to rotation should be reduced, which certainly is not a bad thing on a Long Eze
mike_o is online now Find More Posts by mike_o
Old Aug 10, 2015, 01:34 PM
Find More Posts by no Depron
Joined Mar 2014
157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo383 View Post
Interesting concept, but can you tell me why you have the vert stab underneath?.....I'm a beginner and just want to know what difference that would make in flight.
Not I did so. It was Henschel.
The downwards orientated fin should protect the propellers from touching ground when the bird rotates for takeoff.
no Depron is offline Find More Posts by no Depron
Old Aug 22, 2015, 01:00 PM
Denmark, Nærum
Joined Jan 2012
2,101 Posts
1:1 canards

A couple of Long Ezes at a local airshow. They were given the finest parkings: in front of the tower and next to the Spitfire

Long Ez at 2015 Stauning airshow (0 min 32 sec)

There was a larger canard plane as well:

Saab Viggen at 2015 Stauning airshow (0 min 27 sec)
Last edited by mike_o; Aug 22, 2015 at 04:12 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 05:19 PM
Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
4,014 Posts
Thanks for those Mike!
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Worst Flight Decision?
Old Aug 23, 2015, 03:20 PM
Find More Posts by canard addict
Joined Jun 2005
2,576 Posts
Mike-o

Do you happen to know the incidence angles of Rutan's Long EZ relative to the thrust line? I like for my canards to cruise at zero elevator trim which requires some positive incidence in the canard.

Charles
canard addict is offline Find More Posts by canard addict
Old Aug 23, 2015, 03:31 PM
Find More Posts by nickchud
What could possibly go wrong?
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
4,166 Posts
I built mine with the thrust line at zero compared to the main wing chord and the canard at +2 degrees.

nickchud is offline Find More Posts by nickchud
Old Aug 24, 2015, 06:01 AM
Denmark, Nærum
Joined Jan 2012
2,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by canard addict View Post
Mike-o

Do you happen to know the incidence angles of Rutan's Long EZ relative to the thrust line? I like for my canards to cruise at zero elevator trim which requires some positive incidence in the canard.

Charles
Charles, I didn't build the Long Ez myself, but I went through the manual and drawings to see what they say. I could find no direct reference to an incidence angle, only a reference to a build template, which will position the canard correctly. Let me check with the builder...
Old Aug 26, 2015, 01:06 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,576 Posts
Mike-o
You should not go to too much trouble. I would not be surprised to find that the canard and wing are both parallel to the thrust line.
Since the CG of the EZ is well forward, it seems that the ship under stall conditions would simply mush without any danger of pitching nose up as a canard would without strakes and with a wing at the rear would. The high aspect ratio of the canard should assure that it will stall at a lower angle or attack than one with more chord. I read where the EZ requires UP trim in the rain.

Charles
Old Aug 27, 2015, 07:07 AM
Joined Apr 2013
1,140 Posts
Thought you guys might like to see how this one came out: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2489266

Technically, it probably qualifies as a canard, but it probably is more likely to be termed a "box/joined wing" or "tandem wing" design.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 03:08 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,576 Posts
nuteman, That is an interesting design and appears stable. Thanks.

Charles
Old Aug 27, 2015, 05:18 PM
Joined Apr 2013
1,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by canard addict View Post
nuteman, That is an interesting design and appears stable. Thanks.

Charles
Thanks, Charles. The deign is loosely based on the Elytron. It was most definitely not an easy build