Old Apr 01, 2015, 01:44 AM
Find More Posts by Tug Hercules
Tug Hercules Fireman
Canada, AB, Medicine Hat
Joined Mar 2008
273 Posts
Discussion
“Blauwe Bord” - “Blauw Bord” - Blue Sign – Blue Panel – Blue Plate

On the Small Push Boats in the Netherlands, you often see the "square item", near the Wheelhouse.

Is it a solar panel? If so, what does it power?

Or is it a mirror to watch the foredeck with??

Thank You.

Tug Hercules
Fireman Rick
Tug Hercules is offline Find More Posts by Tug Hercules
Last edited by Tug Hercules; Apr 13, 2015 at 11:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2015, 02:34 AM
Find More Posts by buntzi
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Feb 2015
37 Posts
It doesn't look like a solar panel. Also, solar panels would not be very easily accessible in the older days (as i suppose is the case with the last photo that you've posted). Therefore, I'm more inclined to go with the mirror possibility, but I cannot confirm it.
buntzi is offline Find More Posts by buntzi
Old Apr 01, 2015, 08:14 AM
Find More Posts by Tim B.
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Aug 2009
10,457 Posts
The manufacturer of This model reports the panel is used to signal right of way to oncoming traffic.
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Apr 01, 2015, 07:07 PM
Find More Posts by chum444
...man wants his boat
United States, MA, Woods Hole
Joined Aug 2012
1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim B. View Post
The manufacturer of This model reports the panel is used to signal right of way to oncoming traffic.
Might post some interesting messages in tight situations.
chum444 is offline Find More Posts by chum444
Old Apr 01, 2015, 07:17 PM
Find More Posts by Tim B.
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Aug 2009
10,457 Posts
Then the use of hand signals is engaged ~
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Apr 01, 2015, 09:03 PM
Find More Posts by patmat2350
Vita ex Machinis
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
13,462 Posts
Especially on curvy rivers, the normal passing sides are sometimes swapped... the signal board is used to communicate and verify intentions.

As reported right here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post15626361

and: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post15661419
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Apr 01, 2015, 11:30 PM
Find More Posts by Harquebus
I see all your typos
South Korea, Gyeonggi-do, Ansan-si
Joined Jan 2006
1,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim B. View Post
Then the use of hand signals is engaged ~
And there's one hand signal that everyone knows...
Harquebus is offline Find More Posts by Harquebus
Old Apr 03, 2015, 03:24 AM
Find More Posts by capntroy
Keep a Steady Strain....
Orange County, CA
Joined Nov 2007
1,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmat2350 View Post
Especially on curvy rivers, the normal passing sides are sometimes swapped... the signal board is used to communicate and verify intentions.
I used to watch the towboats do the same maneuver at Algiers Point in New Orleans when the river was high and really running, the upbound tows would swing over to the port side of the channel and the downbound would do the same, passing starboard to starboard.

This keeps both tows in more desirable currents...
capntroy is offline Find More Posts by capntroy
Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:42 PM
Tug Hercules Fireman
Canada, AB, Medicine Hat
Joined Mar 2008
273 Posts

When I originally asked the question, I had thought it maybe was a solar panel of some sort. Thanks to many here on RC Groups, friends on the Tug Group and friends in the Netherlands and Germany, I now have a fairly comprehensive story, to share;

The “Blauwe Bord” is used by a Canal Boat Pilot (Captain), on ships heading upstream, who wants to cross over to the inner bend of the river to minimise running in the strong current; i.e. passing on starboard to starboard. The blue board is a request to the other vessels to pass starboard to starboard, instead of the usual port to port. For the downbound ship, he must give appropriate way taking into consideration local conditions and the movements of other vessels that are nearby.

Note; The Downbound ship normally has the right away, as it is harder to maintain steerage going down river. However when a upbound ship requests right of way, to stay out of treacherous current in a bend, the blue panel is used.

This blue board is Lawfully used on meandering rivers so vessels running upstream can follow the line of least resistance, Netherlands only and a few other European Countries. Note; The German Regulations prohibit the use of a blue board, though ships are allowed to pass starboard to starboard.

{Note; Canal Boat = Inland Freighter, bunkerboot, droge lading schip, etc. …}

If the blue panel is being used; the vessel is said to be "sail blue".

In yesteryear days, a blue flag was used.

Nowadays one uses a blue sign with white border, which is placed to the right of the wheelhouse, in combination with a white flashing light, to indicate that they want to meet another ship 'wrong'.

Ships coming downstream response also give the blue sign indicating that they also divert their ship to port (pass Starboard to Starboard) and so give free passage. Once it is feared that the intention is not understood, the upbound ship must pass that give a sound signal of two short blasts on the wrong tack. The other vessel must respond by giving a sound signal by two short blasts. If it cannot cooperate, it must give a series of very short blasts. Each of the two ships should take measures appropriate to the circumstances to prevent the emergence of a dangerous situation.

Other than on treacherous curves in the canals / rivers, the blue sign cannot be displayed except sailing to a port / channel / berth / lock or bridge on the port side.

The blue board/panel, typically has holes on the surface, to minimize windage, and has a white light flashing in the centre. (Note; sometimes the light is flashing in the centre and some manufacturers have the white border flashing.)

The light blue board must be of such dimensions that a good visibility is ensured, and have a white border with a width of at least 5 cm.. It must be at least of length and width 1 m x 1 m..

The blue panel is controlled from the inside the Wheelhouse, via a servo motor.

There are numerous manufacturers of blue boards, in Europe.

Tug Hercules
Fireman Rick
Last edited by Tug Hercules; Apr 13, 2015 at 11:47 PM.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 02:30 AM
Find More Posts by Andre Anderson
Portland Oregon
United States, OR, Tigard
Joined Apr 2014
211 Posts
Thanks for the explanation, just a quick question, when it is not being used to communicate that one of the boats wants to pass starboard to starboard is it rotated 90 degrees so only its edge showing to the oncoming boat?

Andre
Andre Anderson is offline Find More Posts by Andre Anderson
Old Apr 14, 2015, 05:42 AM
Find More Posts by chum444
...man wants his boat
United States, MA, Woods Hole
Joined Aug 2012
1,182 Posts
Rick,
Thanks for a very enlightening post. I do have to wonder though why ship to ship radio channel is not used to signal intentions. Too much chatter? What about conditions of reduced visibility?

Thanks again, very informative.
chum444 is offline Find More Posts by chum444
Old Apr 14, 2015, 07:12 AM
Find More Posts by sound sailor
Plures Naves Quam Mentes
United States, NY, Westchester
Joined Jul 2011
2,099 Posts
Interesting that the horn signals are the opposite of here in the US. Here 1 horn (or whistle) is port to port and 2 is starboard to starboard. Also here, these days, the intent is more commonly done via radio and most often spoken as "1 whistle" or "2 whistle".

Bill
sound sailor is offline Find More Posts by sound sailor
Old Apr 14, 2015, 09:25 PM
Tug Hercules Fireman
Canada, AB, Medicine Hat
Joined Mar 2008
273 Posts
Andre; Yes it is rotated 90 (parallel to water surface), when not being used.

Chum444 & Bill; They tell me there is just so radio much chatter on the multitude of waterways and canals, that it is just not reliable/clear for communication in tricky/time of the essence situations. The blue board is very clear on what the Skipper`s intentions are.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 10:50 PM
Find More Posts by Andre Anderson
Portland Oregon
United States, OR, Tigard
Joined Apr 2014
211 Posts
If I was modeling a vessel from that area having the "blue board" that works would be a neat thing to add to the model and simple to do.

Andre
Andre Anderson is offline Find More Posts by Andre Anderson