New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 27, 2015, 08:19 PM
Find More Posts by thrustboy
Make Stuff!
Pineville,NC USA
Joined Jan 2008
457 Posts
The Ofna Mini-Start is the box I bought. I got it off of Amazon. It is listed for as high as $60 or more elsewhere. The only modification is the slot in the chassis for the starter wheel to fit through. That was about 10 minutes work with a dremel tool. Then, the starter box has to be setup for right side engines and fitted to the chassis, another 10 minutes or so. You will also need a 7.2 volt stick pack with a Tamiya plug. I already had the battery. Most who have had cars of any kind already 1 or 2 lying around.

It is one extra thing to haul out, but this thing is pretty small. The speed of the starter wheel justifies it for me so far.
thrustboy is offline Find More Posts by thrustboy
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2015, 09:30 AM
Find More Posts by chly3001
Singapore
Joined Apr 2014
104 Posts
did u have to adjust the height of the engine to use the starter box? i read somewhere that the engine is too high and they had to lower it. if it's just dremel work it can be done easily.. i'd still prefer a pull start for a first nitro buggy though hmm (less cost too!)
chly3001 is offline Find More Posts by chly3001
Old Apr 29, 2015, 06:14 AM
Make Stuff!
Pineville,NC USA
Joined Jan 2008
457 Posts
No. What I wrote in the previous post is all the modification that was necessary. I think the engine height issue is with the .05 engine. I know they use a motor mount since I've seen it listed as a spare part. The .07 mounts directly to the chassis.

That's actually the best thing about starter boxes. Once you're set up, it's the most trouble-free starting. It even makes installing the body shell easier since you don't have to accommodate the starter handle.
Old May 15, 2015, 01:41 PM
Make Stuff!
Pineville,NC USA
Joined Jan 2008
457 Posts
Just a quick update for those interested. I haven't had a lot of time to run the buggy since the last post, but the results have been pretty good. I have been running it on a dirt track with jumps, all sized for 10th scale vehicles. It drives okay and has survived a lot.

I have had a steering bracket break a on crash and the dogbones bend really easily, but it's not doing too bad so far. Early on I broke teeth out of a couple of spur gears, but I've been setting the mesh a little looser and haven't had another break.

There is also a lot of slop in the steering, which you can retighten screws to eliminate, but it returns soon. On the whole I can't really offer a glowing opinion of this little buggy, but if you can tinker and want a really small nitro car, you might want to give it a try.
Old Jun 05, 2015, 10:51 AM
Find More Posts by helicycle
R/C addict...
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2006
200 Posts
Just a quick question...I'm assuming that this buggy is the same platform HK is using for the Truggy. I like the Truggy look, and haven't owned a nitro care in a very long while, so I figured I might give this one a shot. Thanks!
helicycle is offline Find More Posts by helicycle
Old Jun 07, 2015, 07:02 PM
Make Stuff!
Pineville,NC USA
Joined Jan 2008
457 Posts
I appears from a quick glance that the two share many or most, possibly nearly all parts in common. I would expect similar issues...