HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2008, 07:20 PM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
Discussion
Head banging a house into existence...

The planned addition to the house, going from 1563 to 3200 Sq feet. Done on my laptop. Ain't technology grand? Lots of alterations and refinement to come:
lrsudog is offline Find More Posts by lrsudog
Old Feb 04, 2008, 07:22 PM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Joined May 2000
3,335 Posts
Gerald is offline Find More Posts by Gerald
Last edited by Gerald; Jun 28, 2008 at 07:52 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2008, 07:24 PM
Don't look at me like that....
United States, AR, McDougal
Joined Aug 2005
2,798 Posts
Theres a house not far from me that looks almost just like that. Except it's pink. But I like yours. I'm just about done remodleing mine. We ripped out every wall inside, ready to start painting.

Tom
62pilot is offline Find More Posts by 62pilot
Old Feb 04, 2008, 07:29 PM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald
Is any of it new besides the 2nd floor addition?

The only parts that are not completely new are the single story wings to the front and to the left, and both those are substantially modded (added the front porch). There is a 20' extension to the rear, and as you say, the second story addition.
Old Feb 04, 2008, 07:30 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
133 Posts
Any plans on following the template sometime in the future? Can you also see how it will look from the inside once you walk in the front door?
redbird340 is offline Find More Posts by redbird340
Old Feb 04, 2008, 07:32 PM
Don't look at me like that....
United States, AR, McDougal
Joined Aug 2005
2,798 Posts
Is this going to be a kit or an arf. Plans, are there any ? What size lipos will I need ?
62pilot is offline Find More Posts by 62pilot
Old Feb 04, 2008, 07:37 PM
Suspended Account
Fayetteville, NC
Joined Dec 2002
2,239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrsudog
The only parts that are not completely new are the single story wings to the front and to the left, and both those are substantially modded (added the front porch). There is a 20' extension to the rear, and as you say, the second story addition.
Are those balconies on the second floor? The house looks different - not a cookie cutter for sure. I assume that's a ressult of form following function?

How long before you start work? Are you doing the general contracting?
sarge is offline Find More Posts by sarge
Old Feb 04, 2008, 07:41 PM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,166 Posts
Albert Spiers used to draw his buildings in ruins. Have you thought of that? Fire season, Flood season, Earthquake season, what was the fourth? Graffiti season?

Actually, I like it. Looks like I could tell the family I was going to get gas for the lawn mower and hide out for an hour or two without them knowing.

Are your inlaws going to visit for longer periods of time? Remote control rats are a good deterrent to that, or turning the heat on when it is hot outside and claiming the AC is on the fritz.
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Feb 04, 2008, 07:43 PM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
The program renders and updates a 3D walk around view while you work in 2D. Fair warning: the furniture choices are limited, so the stuff you see is just there as sizing placeholders.
Old Feb 04, 2008, 07:46 PM
Oakland, ca, usa
Joined Oct 2000
471 Posts
Once you start, keep a blog. We're a couple months away from our 2 year long new house project. I update our construction blog (http://www.av-house-project.blogspot.com/) about every 2 weeks and it is an easy way to keep all the interested parties up-to-date.
jimbarstow is offline Find More Posts by jimbarstow
Old Feb 04, 2008, 07:46 PM
Balsa is for doll houses
Texas, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2004
1,647 Posts
What progy are you using? I'd like to use that to lay out my kitchen.
The house looks good to me, will you have to upgrade your AC?
Skrogg is offline Find More Posts by Skrogg
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Babymetal!
Old Feb 04, 2008, 07:47 PM
Suspended Account
Fayetteville, NC
Joined Dec 2002
2,239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrsudog
The program renders and updates a 3D walk around view while you work in 2D. Fair warning: the furniture choices are limited, so the stuff you see is just there as sizing placeholders.
Does the room with the cathedral ceiling have sunlights or such?
sarge is offline Find More Posts by sarge
Old Feb 04, 2008, 07:50 PM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
Yes, we will be general-ing it ourselves...after we do the pool house & garage to see if we have the fortitude.

It's not all that large, even though it is bigger sq feet wise than I would like. We are stuck within some very concrete dimensions because of Oak trees and property line issues. It needed to be no wider than 24', but without looking like a mobile home.

The upstairs patios are 4' deep and the width of the footprint. They are off the second floor master and can be accessed from same.

Inlaws live 4 miles away. They only come over for parties, and leave early.

Drawing (photos) of the house in ruins will come when we demo out the existing structure. I will be taking lots of pix, and will frame and hang them in the new remodel.

The remodel will be as Earthquake proof as a house can be, and will have a high volume sprinkler system sucking water from the pool. I'll probably use it mostly to wash the damn oak leaves off the roof, since both the single story portions are completely under 60' oak canopy.

Probably no sunlights. The fireplace is on the Southern exposure, and it would turn into a sauna in the summer. California. We will be putting those "Solar tubes" (TM) in the upstairs hallway for natural lighting.
Old Feb 04, 2008, 07:55 PM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrogg
What progy are you using? I'd like to use that to lay out my kitchen.
The house looks good to me, will you have to upgrade your AC?
It's "Punch home design studio" for Mac. They make it for PC too, for about $200 less. It does landscaping, foundations, all that crap too.

We will be junking the present A/C (14 years old. I think it has cavemen inside turning the gears) and replacing it with two new forced air units, along with radiant floor heating for the entire first floor.
Old Feb 04, 2008, 07:58 PM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,166 Posts
Are you going to have a theater? I noticed a lot of in-wall speakers available, and guessed they were mainly used for in home theater sound.

Nice lawn, by the way.

The new AC will likely be much more efficient than the 14 year old one. The minimum efficiency requirements jumped since then, even on basic units.
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop