HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 27, 2014, 08:15 PM
K5054 & K5083
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Mar 2001
132 Posts
Discussion
E-Aspire motor recommendation?

Most of the likely suspects are greater than 36mm in diameter which is about all that will fit in the nose of an aspire. Thoughts, suggestions?? I'm hoping to keep costs down.

D
wrinkled is offline Find More Posts by wrinkled
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:06 PM
Mesa AZ, it's a dry heat!
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2004
613 Posts
For a narrow nose and lots of power look at a Hacker A20 with a gearbox. It is not cheap, but good quality rarely is. This set-up, on 3 cells with an 18X10 prop will give you somewhere north of 600W for short bursts (20-25secs).

Iain
rev.iain is online now Find More Posts by rev.iain
Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:36 PM
Albuq, NMex USA
Joined Jan 2001
547 Posts
Hyperion HS2221 3000kv motors are now being sold for 39.00. A decent gearbox can be had for $40.00 or less. I am using this motor and a 3.3-1 gearbox in a 62 oz. Electra, driving a 13.5x7 prop. It draws 42 amps and gives a 70ish deg climb. The motors are very high quality, but now discontinued as Hyperion has stopped making and/or marketing motors, but there are still quite a few available.

Mike
MikeC is online now Find More Posts by MikeC
Old Aug 28, 2014, 02:44 AM
Joined Oct 2003
1,789 Posts
Dave,
please see here. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ire+Ales+Build

Expensive but worth it..LJ

By the way I have Aspire E FUSES INSTOCK.
Larry Jolly is offline Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
Old Aug 28, 2014, 07:26 AM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,418 Posts
That hacker motor has only 4mm axle. Is is strong enought for landings?

Resenauer has some nice and reletively economical motors for F5J. They are popular in Europe but I do not know about availability in US.
El cheapo: http://www.reisenauer.de/artikeldetails.php5?aid=1753
Nice inrunner: http://www.reisenauer.de/artikeldetails.php5?aid=1636

I use the Resenauer inrunner in Xplorer. No complaints. If one looks for ultimate quality, then Schambeck 1025 is hard to resist.
Tuomo is offline Find More Posts by Tuomo
Old Aug 28, 2014, 09:53 AM
Escondido, ca, usa
Joined Dec 2000
286 Posts
I have the E-Aspire and have the Hacker A20 with gear box. The motor shaft seems to be strong enough, but then I don't try to dork with the motor up front. The biggest problem is the outrunner wires and fitting everything into the front of the nose. I finally gooped the wires to the floor of the fuselage to keep them away from the motor. I think the 18x10 prop is a little big. I am using RFM 17x13 prop and I can get to 200m in 30 secs. With Altis limiter switch I have checked the logs after flights and on a 150m setting I was topping out at 156m.

Terry Throop
TThroop is offline Find More Posts by TThroop
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:23 AM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,499 Posts
I am seeing more and more outrunners being fitted with a gearbox. I am not sure I understand the technology behind that when an inrunner with a gearbox can give similar power to weight performance with similar current draw and no worries with wires rubbing the fuselage or spinning motor.

Thanks for the insight.

Curtis
Curtis Suter is online now Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:29 AM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,499 Posts
For your consideration another less expensive option is a
Great Planes Ammo 28-45-3600 In-Runner Brushless Motor
Great Planes Planetary Gear Drive 24-28mm Ammo Motors (4.3:1)

I am using a 13x8 prop on a scratchbuilt model similar to the Nan Orion and get great performance. I don't fly this model a great deal but she has been flying nearly a year with no issues.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 28, 2014, 01:20 PM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TThroop View Post
I have the E-Aspire and have the Hacker A20 with gear box. The motor shaft seems to be strong enough, but then I don't try to dork with the motor up front. The biggest problem is the outrunner wires and fitting everything into the front of the nose. I finally gooped the wires to the floor of the fuselage to keep them away from the motor. I think the 18x10 prop is a little big. I am using RFM 17x13 prop and I can get to 200m in 30 secs. With Altis limiter switch I have checked the logs after flights and on a 150m setting I was topping out at 156m.
That seems to be a little low power. In F5J we rarely climb to 200 meters, but when it is needed, weather is usually windy and plane is loaded with ballast. To make it to 200 meters in those conditions, you need a motor that gives at least 10m/s climb in normal conditions.
Tuomo is offline Find More Posts by Tuomo
Last edited by Tuomo; Aug 29, 2014 at 12:37 AM.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 04:31 PM
Joined Jun 2009
74 Posts
For a very low cost option you may wish to consider a Turnigy SK 2839 motor on a GP Ammo box.(the motor is the same as that used by Reisenauer as described by Tuomo above)
The drive weighs 132gms,has an efficiency curve almost identical to the Hacker/Maxon unit and has a 5mm output shaft.
A performance curve based on measured actual data is attached.
Cost,12months ago,all delivered to the UK was $70.92.
Painter S is offline Find More Posts by Painter S
Last edited by Painter S; Aug 28, 2014 at 04:46 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 08:42 AM
Cumulus Altimus
KELLER TEXAS
Joined Feb 2002
3,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis suter View Post
i am seeing more and more outrunners being fitted with a gearbox. I am not sure i understand the technology behind that when an inrunner with a gearbox can give similar power to weight performance with similar current draw and no worries with wires rubbing the fuselage or spinning motor.

Thanks for the insight.

Curtis
With inrunner at 27-28mm the weight is way higher.now a powerline 1025@ 99g and 22mm dim is another great choice, my Mibo Electra is puled at 90* with that motor.
$190 for the redfox F5J motor is also a great combo.
FASTBEN is offline Find More Posts by FASTBEN
Last edited by FASTBEN; Aug 29, 2014 at 08:49 AM.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 12:14 AM
Albuq, NMex USA
Joined Jan 2001
547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Suter View Post
I am seeing more and more outrunners being fitted with a gearbox. I am not sure I understand the technology behind that when an inrunner with a gearbox can give similar power to weight performance with similar current draw and no worries with wires rubbing the fuselage or spinning motor.

Thanks for the insight.

Curtis
Hi Curtis,

For me it is mainly about weight. The cost difference is only about $20.00.

I am saving slightly over 2 oz. by using the outrunner/gearbox combo I am using in the Electra, compared to the similarly powered Ammo 28-45-3600. If I used the Ammo/gearbox combo, which weighs more, I would have to add weight in the tail. Longer nose gliders can be a little impractical in this regard.

Mike
Old Aug 30, 2014, 07:32 AM
Cumulus Altimus
KELLER TEXAS
Joined Feb 2002
3,469 Posts
Mike looks like flightcomp will be selling the Redfox pm Ali (ak47).
I have one and it's great, also it is a drop any motor and play since the pinion is not affixed to the motor and it is a floating type.
Ben
FASTBEN is offline Find More Posts by FASTBEN
Old Aug 30, 2014, 09:16 AM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,499 Posts
Thanks MikeC. I am starting to like the Hacker setup for my next Red Merle build that is sure to beat LJ!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 30, 2014, 08:40 PM
Albuq, NMex USA
Joined Jan 2001
547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTBEN View Post
Mike looks like flightcomp will be selling the Redfox pm Ali (ak47).
I have one and it's great, also it is a drop any motor and play since the pinion is not affixed to the motor and it is a floating type.
Ben
That is good news Ben.

Flight Comp's Electra and Redfox will be a good combo. Both the Electra and the RF motors are excellent designs. The only problem with the Electra is that I probably will not be able to afford another for quite a while-retired and on a budget.

Mike