Old Aug 05, 2013, 02:11 AM
lowjack
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Aug 2013
29 Posts
Question
NEW to rc boats

Hey guys, what's up?

Just getting in touch with this world, i have few friends obsessed with rc boats. I really would like to get myself a NICE, BIG and FAST boat. I'd like to get some pro advice here. I don't want the $100 toy, i want a 50" fast and fat boat. I've seen some coll stuff (miss geico 29, nice but very small) something similar but bigger and faster?

Thank you guys!

Jack
lowjack is offline Find More Posts by lowjack
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2013, 04:27 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,201 Posts
Sticker shock could change your mind. You can easily wind up with $1500 or more in a fast 50 incher.
bill34207 is online now Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 05, 2013, 04:35 AM
lowjack
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Aug 2013
29 Posts
Yeah, as said money is not an issue. I don't really want to spend that much, i'm just looking for advice. A good boat, nice, fast and large. i don't want these 17" buggers....
Old Aug 05, 2013, 06:15 AM
Joined May 2012
293 Posts
That would be a budget build!
Could spend that just on a pair of Neu 2015 motors and a set of Castle Hydra ice2 escs!
Easier to ask what you actually want to spend then people could make some suggestions based on that.
I'd still suggest starting out with something a lot smaller and cheaper to get you over the top of the learning curve, once you've got the basics of setting up an electric boat figured out then build the big expensive boat.
I don't know too many people who didn't burn up a few things when they first started out, much easier on the wallet to replace a 70$ esc than a 340$ esc!
Cheers and welcome to the hobby!
Sibe is offline Find More Posts by Sibe
Old Aug 05, 2013, 07:01 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,201 Posts
This one is a little short of the 50" mark but does fall into the 1500 cost range. A single Castle 2028 with Hydra Ice 200 good for around 70 mph.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1572391
bill34207 is online now Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 05, 2013, 12:31 PM
lowjack
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Aug 2013
29 Posts
What about Pro Boat Miss Geico 29" ?

Keep in mind i'm new to this hobby so i may say dumb sh*t

Thank you
Old Aug 05, 2013, 12:58 PM
Seattle
Joined Feb 2006
930 Posts
Nothing wrong with that boat. I see more of the Proboat Blackjack 29 and Aquacraft Motley Crew in our limited spec cat race class, along with the Mean Machine hull.

For a bit of bang for more bucks :
http://kintecracing.com/Zonda_Cat.html

For a V hull, I like the Pursuit hull, which I think handles rough water better than the Revolt and is slightly bigger than the Blackjack/Geico/Motley Crew.

http://kintecracing.com/Pursuit.html
cyberhoops is offline Find More Posts by cyberhoops
Old Aug 05, 2013, 01:54 PM
lowjack
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Aug 2013
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberhoops View Post
Nothing wrong with that boat. I see more of the Proboat Blackjack 29 and Aquacraft Motley Crew in our limited spec cat race class, along with the Mean Machine hull.

For a bit of bang for more bucks :
http://kintecracing.com/Zonda_Cat.html

For a V hull, I like the Pursuit hull, which I think handles rough water better than the Revolt and is slightly bigger than the Blackjack/Geico/Motley Crew.

http://kintecracing.com/Pursuit.html

I really like the Zonda Cat 41" carbon fiber catamaran. I see ranges from $650 to $800. But then you have to add batteries? How much cost the "complete thing" ready to be in the water?

Thank you again!
Old Aug 05, 2013, 02:13 PM
lowjack
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Aug 2013
29 Posts
Cyberhoops, i really like the Zonda Cat 41" fiber glass catamaran. I see that ranges from $650 to $800. But batteries are not included? How much would cost me this thing set up to work in the water? I'm looking some videos on YT and wow that thing is fast!

Thank you guys!
Old Aug 05, 2013, 02:34 PM
Seattle
Joined Feb 2006
930 Posts
It would probably need a pair of 4s 5000 battery packs. A couple Turnigy 4s 5000 40c packs from Hobby King are about $64 each. Gens Ace 4s 4800 60c batteries are something like $70 each if I remember correctly.

It looks like the $800 system has everything needed to throw it in the water with the possible exception of:
a) getting the right plugs on the battery to connect with the ESC. I don't see anything that mentions exacty what connectors might be installed.
b) A lipo charger.

From some reading on the web it seems that many of the users are replacing the two piece drive shafts with a single piece shaft, which would require the left and right hand flex cables and two collets.

IMHO: Nothing like a twin cat for a few bragging rights with the buddies.
Last edited by cyberhoops; Aug 05, 2013 at 02:43 PM.
Old Aug 05, 2013, 02:57 PM
lowjack
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Aug 2013
29 Posts
So what do you think about this 41" zonda cat? I'm a beginner (not a retard), but i really wanna start with something cool, (this zonda cat seems awesome to me). Whats the max speed out of the box? Would you buy it?

Thank you!!
Old Aug 05, 2013, 03:27 PM
Seattle
Joined Feb 2006
930 Posts
From what I have read people seem to like it. I would expect that it gets near 50mph on 4s with the right props and it seems people are in the 50's on 5s. I am sure it could be pushed faster, but I think 50mph is pretty darn quick and it eats up a lot of lake in a hurry.

Would I buy it? For a sport boat to run for fun - yes. It is certainly not inexpensive, but it seems like a reasonable setup. I have purchased quite a bit of equipment from Jan at Kintec Racing and it has been all good.

The other somewhat similar option is the Genesis cat, which is around 39", but that takes a lot more setup and it not nearly so ready-to-run.
Old Aug 05, 2013, 03:45 PM
lowjack
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Aug 2013
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberhoops View Post
From what I have read people seem to like it. I would expect that it gets near 50mph on 4s with the right props and it seems people are in the 50's on 5s. I am sure it could be pushed faster, but I think 50mph is pretty darn quick and it eats up a lot of lake in a hurry.

Would I buy it? For a sport boat to run for fun - yes. It is certainly not inexpensive, but it seems like a reasonable setup. I have purchased quite a bit of equipment from Jan at Kintec Racing and it has been all good.

The other somewhat similar option is the Genesis cat, which is around 39", but that takes a lot more setup and it not nearly so ready-to-run.

I keep watching youtube videos and i'm getting so excited watching that thing flying on the water!
Ok so let's say i but the $795 version, could you help me find out what else i need to buy to have it 100% set up?

I appreciate your time, thank you!
Old Aug 05, 2013, 05:11 PM
Seattle
Joined Feb 2006
930 Posts
* 2x Turnigy 4S1P 5000mAh 40C Lipo - which comes with 5.5mm plugs
* Lipo Balance/Charger: There are lots of options. I would be looking either at getting two chargers or some brand of dual charger since you have a pair of batteries to run. I have a Hyperion dual charger, but that might be overkill. Hobby king sell a bunch of chargers from $20 on up, depending on whether you want to use wall outlet power or charging off a 12 volt battery. The Onyx dual charger on the Kintec site won't work because it only charges a 3s battery pack. The Turnigy batteries have JST-XH charge plugs so you want it to work with those. So many choices I am not sure what to recommend. Maybe just a trip to the local hobby shop..
* 2x 5.5mm Charger Lead - for the charger since you have 5.5mm plugs on the batteries

* 2 pair of 5.5mm bullet plugs - since I doubt the ESCs are equipped with 5.5mm plugs to match the batteries. I tend to convert everything of mine to 5.5mm plugs.
* 1 foot of 7mm Heat Shrink tubing - if you have to replace the plugs - then you will want to wrap them again in heat shrink tubing.

I think that gets you up and running. I would probably stop there and make some runs in "stock" form, but optionally you could get a couple different props to try that are on the page with the Zonda cat and you could get replacements for the 2 piece drive line:

2x 5mm to 3/16 collet
1 Left hand flex cable
1 right hand flex cable
2x drive dogs
2x prop nuts
Old Aug 05, 2013, 06:21 PM
lowjack
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Aug 2013
29 Posts
That sounds like a lot of money and fun lol! Well, i'm gonna see around and shop. Now most important: is the 41 zonda cat ok for a beginner? As far as i know you no need much skills to accelerate and stop a boat. If you have any suggestion let me know!

Thank you!