HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 19, 2013, 09:59 PM
Gudmund
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Nov 2005
317 Posts
Discussion
Aspire Conversion TD to ALES

I just returned from the Polecat competition and I brought back two things with me (truth be told, my wife brought back a whole lot more than two things!!).

The first was the emotional high that came from finishing in the top-quarter of the 60-odd pilots that participated. The second was an Aspire e-fuse that I want to use convert my TD-style wings and tail into an ALES model.

I will keep this thread posted with my progress.
GudmundT is offline Find More Posts by GudmundT
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2013, 07:43 AM
Skye Malcolm
Upper Arlington, OH
Joined Mar 2009
635 Posts
I flew my Aspire at the Polecat. It was red, white and black. I got the fuse damaged so this factored into my decision to just move both the rudder and elevator servo to the base of the vertical fin. Both Airtronics 809 servos. However, the other consideration was simply to balance the plane nicely and to have very nice access to the lipo which I wanted to be underneath the canopy. Here's how I placed components:

My drive system is about 120 grams for motor/gearbox. Then I have a 70 mm foam spacer to keep the ESC (54 A Thunderbird which is perhaps 20 grams) under the canopy and a 175 g 3S 2200 lipo is under the canopy too. It's a tight fit but battery and ESC are side by side. Moving back, there is another 70 mm foam spacer back to a separate 4 cell NiMh receiver battery located around the C.G. (I'm not sure it's weight but I think it's around 100 g). Then the receiver is more or less under the wing saddle where a ~25 mm access hole has been cut to aid access. Perhaps the hole is not strictly necessary but I didn't make a very long pigtail from receiver to the 6 pin wing connector so it was for me. I use Airtronics FHSS-3 receivers which have only a 200 mm long antenna so I drilled holes on either side of the fuse behind the wing for two whiskers to extend, one on each side of the fuse coming out at 45 degree angles. I fed flexible wire into the antenna holes from the rear and used a small amount of tape to fix the wire to the antenna. (Before that I put heat shrink on the antenna whiskers to reinforce them).

I'm sure there are many ways to build this plane up, but perhaps some of this information is helpful to you. Bonne Chance!

Skye Malcolm
skye8070 is online now Find More Posts by skye8070
Old Jun 20, 2013, 07:56 AM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,418 Posts
I have sold two F3J Aspires to guys who did an immediate electric conversion. The older Aspire was little more tricky since it had the very well mounted ballast tube that had to grined out. This conversion was also done a few yars back when batteries were a little larger than what they are now.

Later disser Aspire was a much more easy job. Servos could stay in their original position and with a little bit of grinding from servo tray batter could be slipped behind them.

Aspire nose is little difficult for tidy motor and spinner installation since it oval shape. However, this is only a minor cosmetic problem.
Tuomo is offline Find More Posts by Tuomo
Old Jun 20, 2013, 08:09 AM
Deniable plausibility
Derbyshire, UK
Joined Aug 2008
2,314 Posts
I'm just doing something similar (not though with an Aspire) and wondered if you're bothering with cooling air intakes / exhausts? My feeling is that I should but clearly there's a drag penalty when the motor is 'off'. Thoughts?

Regards,
Shedofdread is offline Find More Posts by Shedofdread
Old Jun 20, 2013, 08:13 AM
Slovakia
Joined Nov 2009
58 Posts
Hi

My set-up :

Servo for elevator MKS 6125E ,rudder MKS 6100 ,power unit MEGA 16/30/3 130g or 16/35/3 150g ,direct drive /no gear,no problem / , esc ICE 50 LITE ,and akku 3s1100 mAh ,prop 11x6 this set-up give 8m/s.
fly-up85 is offline Find More Posts by fly-up85
Old Jun 20, 2013, 09:03 AM
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined Jul 2007
2,520 Posts
Perhaps you should go back and have a look at the thread LJ did on an electrified Aspire last year. Here's the link: www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1747989
jtlsf5 is offline Find More Posts by jtlsf5
Old Jun 20, 2013, 10:14 AM
so. cal.
Joined Jan 2006
2,681 Posts
If you are doing an ALES type setup, dont bother worrying about cooling, the motor run is 30 seconds maximum, I have Larry's exact setup and it works great, and it is the very lightest setup you can do, just have spare Lipos since they are only 850 mil packs, In a non competition setting this model will fly for hours on one pack, I typically run about 15 second climbs and do 5 second bursts if I find myself low.
s2000 is offline Find More Posts by s2000
Old Jun 20, 2013, 10:54 AM
United States, NY, Island Park
Joined Jun 2005
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skye8070 View Post
I flew my Aspire at the Polecat. It was red, white and black. I got the fuse damaged so this factored into my decision to just move both the rudder and elevator servo to the base of the vertical fin. Both Airtronics 809 servos. However, the other consideration was simply to balance the plane nicely and to have very nice access to the lipo which I wanted to be underneath the canopy. Here's how I placed components:

My drive system is about 120 grams for motor/gearbox. Then I have a 70 mm foam spacer to keep the ESC (54 A Thunderbird which is perhaps 20 grams) under the canopy and a 175 g 3S 2200 lipo is under the canopy too. It's a tight fit but battery and ESC are side by side. Moving back, there is another 70 mm foam spacer back to a separate 4 cell NiMh receiver battery located around the C.G. (I'm not sure it's weight but I think it's around 100 g). Then the receiver is more or less under the wing saddle where a ~25 mm access hole has been cut to aid access. Perhaps the hole is not strictly necessary but I didn't make a very long pigtail from receiver to the 6 pin wing connector so it was for me. I use Airtronics FHSS-3 receivers which have only a 200 mm long antenna so I drilled holes on either side of the fuse behind the wing for two whiskers to extend, one on each side of the fuse coming out at 45 degree angles. I fed flexible wire into the antenna holes from the rear and used a small amount of tape to fix the wire to the antenna. (Before that I put heat shrink on the antenna whiskers to reinforce them).

I'm sure there are many ways to build this plane up, but perhaps some of this information is helpful to you. Bonne Chance!

Skye Malcolm
Skye

Would you happen to have any pics of the servo installation in the tail? I have
an e Aspire on order and would like to to see what you did before I build mine.

Frank
strom3932 is offline Find More Posts by strom3932
Old Jun 20, 2013, 01:23 PM
Skye Malcolm
Upper Arlington, OH
Joined Mar 2009
635 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by strom3932 View Post
Skye

Would you happen to have any pics of the servo installation in the tail? I have
an e Aspire on order and would like to to see what you did before I build mine.

Frank
The elevator servo is where the bell crank used to be with the servo arm on the rear facing side of the servo. The rudder servo is beneath that upside down with the arm on the bottom.

I don't think I took pictures as I went and now there's all "potted" in Goop including the servo cover. But the 809s are really a nice size for the base of the Aspire tail and you can't beat the speed and slop-free short linkage is what has really sold me on this setup after flying it for the last two weekends. Here's a short build thread on my repairs and the rebuild:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1834089
skye8070 is online now Find More Posts by skye8070
Last edited by skye8070; Jun 20, 2013 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Added servo directions
Old Jun 20, 2013, 01:23 PM
Gudmund
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Nov 2005
317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skye8070 View Post
I flew my Aspire at the Polecat. It was red, white and black.

Bonne Chance!

Skye Malcolm
Thanks Skye.

I saw your Aspire fly at Polecat and the experience convinced me that this conversion project was worthwhile.

Thanks for the link to your blog as well. The photos of the fuselage repair are very interesting and helpful.

Gudmund
Old Jun 20, 2013, 01:33 PM
Gudmund
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Nov 2005
317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtlsf5 View Post
Perhaps you should go back and have a look at the thread LJ did on an electrified Aspire last year. Here's the link: www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1747989
I have spent a good bit of time looking at Larry Jolly's build. Unfortunately, given the wings I have to work with, there is no way I am going to get any where near the 68.5 oz final weight that he achieved.

My goal is simply to keep the weight to about the same as my TD version (84.3 oz).

Gudmund
Old Jun 20, 2013, 01:45 PM
Gudmund
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Nov 2005
317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly-up85 View Post
Hi

My set-up :

Servo for elevator MKS 6125E ,rudder MKS 6100 ,power unit MEGA 16/30/3 130g or 16/35/3 150g ,direct drive /no gear,no problem / , esc ICE 50 LITE ,and akku 3s1100 mAh ,prop 11x6 this set-up give 8m/s.
fly-up85

I notice that you have ballast tubes installed. Is this something you added, or did you cut the nose off an all-carbon fuselage?

I would also be interested in knowing the weight of your model (both pre- and post-conversion if applicable).

Gudmund
Old Jun 20, 2013, 02:28 PM
Slovakia
Joined Nov 2009
58 Posts
Hi

Ballast tube is myself project , tube have 10mm diameter.I have 2 planes:

1.light plane:
1900g RTF ,posible balast 80g in Al or 160 in brass

2.heavy plane:
2150g RTF , double ballast tube ,max.ballast 320g

Bohuslav
Old Jun 20, 2013, 02:29 PM
Slovakia
Joined Nov 2009
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GudmundT View Post
fly-up85

I notice that you have ballast tubes installed. Is this something you added, or did you cut the nose off an all-carbon fuselage?

I would also be interested in knowing the weight of your model (both pre- and post-conversion if applicable).

Gudmund
I have standart elektro fuselage .

B.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 03:33 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,549 Posts
SOD, I do not fly Aspires, but my Tragi has no cooling access and when you finish a flight, nothing is even luke warm. With the efficiency that the motors, ESC's and batteries have, I doubt you would really need it. Just what I have experienced.

Marc
R.M. Gellart is offline Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart