HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 07, 2013, 12:47 PM
United States, SC, Mt Pleasant
Joined Nov 2003
1,169 Posts
Discussion
South Carolina DLG happenings

Well I started a similar thread in the NW so I figured I should start one in the South!

Welcome to the South Carolina DLG Thread! This is the place where we can chat about local places to fly, local contests and just general banter!

Now, I know that there are lots of folks near Rock Hill and such but what about the rest of the state? I am down in Charleston and am always looking for folks to fly with. I am also looking for a good place to host a small contest and maybe even a bigger event! So sound off and lets fly!

James
hohensej is offline Find More Posts by hohensej
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Aerial Information
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2013, 01:15 PM
Kyle Clayton
United States, VA, Dinwiddie
Joined Feb 2008
2,384 Posts
You beat me to it! Except I was going to start one that encompasses SC, NC, and VA, since most of the people from this region seem to congregate. Think it would make the thread too broad to group the three areas?
Wave Glider is online now Find More Posts by Wave Glider
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Helios and XXLite DLG
Old May 07, 2013, 02:10 PM
I have a DLG problem...
United States, NC, Southern Pines
Joined Aug 2011
450 Posts
I'll be in Charleston over the Memorial Day weekend... alas it is a 'Romantic' trip with the wife and I suspect DLG flying will be strictly off limits. I don't think she wants to compete for my attention... smart!
Scrib is offline Find More Posts by Scrib
Old May 07, 2013, 02:17 PM
Joined Nov 2003
1,169 Posts
Kyle I thought of at least encompassing NC into the thread but did not want to speak for them. We could talk about Virginia as well I suppose...seems so far away We can see what others suggest and then move from there.

Scrib, would be cool to fly with you but I totally get the attention thing. Score some points with the lady so you can burn them on a contest weekend...thats what i try to do anyway

James
RCG Plus Member
Old May 07, 2013, 09:20 PM
Joined Jun 2003
392 Posts
There is a DLG event in a few weeks at triple tree. It's on Friday.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1850049

Todd
ifome is offline Find More Posts by ifome
Old May 08, 2013, 12:51 AM
United States, VA, Newport News
Joined Dec 2012
82 Posts
Hanahan(Charleston) is in the house.....Via Afghanistan. I just got my orders sending me back to the land of the big Walmart. Cant wait to get back guys. Flying field better be hot, and the beer cold...
XavierG is offline Find More Posts by XavierG
Old May 08, 2013, 03:37 PM
Joined Nov 2003
1,169 Posts
Awesome Xavier, when will you be back? We Charleston folks need to find a good spot we can consistantly count on. I have been flying at Daniels Island quite a bit and seems to be one of the best spots I can find right now without driving down to a power field more than an hour away from me!

Todd, I should be there assuming my dad gets into town on Thursday. Just dont know yet.

James
RCG Plus Member
Old May 10, 2013, 08:29 AM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Apr 2012
121 Posts
Were In!

As James knows, my son Noah and I have been flying DLG's in Charleston for a few months and loving it. Although its a bit addictive, especially since it now seems we have 5 planes between us!

Heading to the Joe Nall later today to fling a few DLG's down at the park flier flight line.

Scott
myerss17 is online now Find More Posts by myerss17
Old May 10, 2013, 03:07 PM
United States, VA, Newport News
Joined Dec 2012
82 Posts
I will be back in later July sometime... ISH And as for flying, I have flown at the pricate club by the landfill in Moncks corner. Its pretty nice, but there Are a lot of older men out there who tend to be set in there ways.. Thats not really my thing. The only other place I have flown is at the soccer fields in HANAHAN when there is not games going on.. And thats about a 2 min drive from my house.. So either way we will find something.. And the minute we do you guys know everyone will be asking 100 questions about our planes.. Maybe we can Infect more victims... LOL Anyway I cant wait to get back and fly..
XavierG is offline Find More Posts by XavierG
Old May 10, 2013, 03:36 PM
Joined Nov 2003
1,169 Posts
Totally happens to me when I fly at DI. I was flying during the big Tennis Tournement and had lots of attention from folks asking what it was and totally amazed by the launch. Slowly but surely!

Let us know when you are back. Scott has been infecting his buddies so hopefully there will be a small contigent from Charleston at the next big contest in the area!

James
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 10, 2013, 11:33 AM
Joined Nov 2003
1,169 Posts
So two things,

First is that I would like to open this thread up to all south east DLG happenings. Not just SC. So if you consider yourself in the south east, welcome. Could someone point me in the direction of changing the thread title?

Also, with a few new guys looking to start competing I thought it might be a good time to hold a DLG Clinic in the Charleston Area. This would be run very similar to how Seattles was run, as that is what I am familar with. Think, quick walk around a DLG, thermal finding tactics, contest rules/rounds, round tactics and actually flying a few rounds with a time system. I am thinking late July time frame so that Xavier might be able to particpate. Anyone in the area would be more the welcome, the more the merrier and even better if there are power folks lurking who might be interested in getting their feet wet

James
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 11, 2013, 09:44 AM
Joined Apr 2012
121 Posts
James,

We're all over it, Noah is supposed to fly the youth masters at Triple Tree the last weekend in July, but we would probably come to this event instead.

Let us know what we can do to help!!
Old Jun 11, 2013, 06:24 PM
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Sep 2003
192 Posts
I'd like to get some mock events together that are semi informal to help practice between others. We were thinking of having a few in our area if anyone is interested. We have tons of room and sod fields we could fly on thats not near our RC field.
Chris
Pinhead159 is offline Find More Posts by Pinhead159
Old Jun 11, 2013, 08:48 PM
Joined Apr 2012
121 Posts
Chris, I need to come up your way in the not too distant future to pick a couple things up from Brady, I will give you heads up when we schedule, would love to chuck a few with y'all!
Old Jun 12, 2013, 10:12 AM
Joined Nov 2003
1,169 Posts
Chris

Please post here when you guys have little get togethers. I'd like to make it up that way but this year my travels will be limited. Feel free to come down for our clinic too! I'll post the date once i figure that out.

James
RCG Plus Member