HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:26 PM
Brettski
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Apr 2007
37 Posts
Larrikin the place to be...

Enjoying the reports. NZ is an exceptional place and I know what you mean about the abundance of slopes.

Strong, bitterly cold westerly in Brisbane. Rhys was heading to Larrikin but work has me chained to a desk. It'll be interesting to hear how he goes, it must be blowing about 20kts.

I hope your last days in NZ have strong winds!
SoarPilot is offline Find More Posts by SoarPilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:40 PM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,494 Posts
We are at a new ridge near Akaroa directly on the other side of the harbour from Wainui and it is absolutely great! It looked pretty gnarly as we drove here but once we found the right place on top it's absolutely beautiful. It's as good as any zone we've ever felt completely smooth and good power. I got 232 with the DSX in about 20 Kts. Andrew Palmer has had a go and got a PB of 195. Absolutely incredible view up here like it is from Wainui.

PS wind meter shows 25 to 30 mph.
AvB is online now Find More Posts by AvB
Last edited by AvB; Oct 11, 2012 at 10:55 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 03:00 AM
Australia, VIC, Keysborough
Joined Jun 2004
2,036 Posts
Thanks Andrew for the great reports. Now it is even more exiting to get over to NZ since I have seen the places.
Shame for you to have to go home, but I am sure that trip will have a very special place in your memory.
Have a save trip home.
Cheers
Knut
AeroNut45 is offline Find More Posts by AeroNut45
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:19 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,494 Posts
Well anything I have to say at this time is overshadowed by the fact that the Aussie Record was broken today by Ezza at Cactus with the old K100. They had a huge day today and I've been flattening my phone battery checking for any reports from the guys, as we twisted around mountain roads with occasional cellphone reception. Huge news when very late in the day we read of the 358. And a long wait to hear the who/what/ etc. Hearty congratulations Eric. Top stuff. Wish I'd been there.

I am back at Peter's place, supressing the panic feeling of having to dismantle tails, remove ballasts, wrap gear and pack the glider box for the trip home. I have to be in the airport by 5:15am and Alex is very kindly picking me up.

It was a fantastic day today, and a fitting finale to an amazing NZ experience. We left late-ish from Andrew P's place, 3 of us in Alex's Mazda 3, with a neat packing job to take the vast number of planes. First stop was a restaurant in Little River for an expensive but seriously good chunky steak pie. Then it was up to check out Forsythe Ridge.

Once again we climbed and climbed up roads with stunning impossibly steep dropoffs into valleys, the sides dotted with sheep. Finally we got to the ridge. Forget the DS – I was blown away. The view from this place was breathtaking. Looking south the coast stretched away towards Dunedin, and close, huge Lake Ellesmere spread out behind it. From the hill the big steep grassy ridges fingered out to become cliffs dropping into the sea, reminiscent of the Scottish coast. On the north side were the many huge steep ridges of the Banks Peninsula, and below was Lake Forsyth and the farming lands around Little River.

We tried the DS in several spots but it just wasn’t working … too north for it. I explored up to the top, where there was a really sharp lip and Andrew P followed me, which surprised me. He isn’t really the hill hiking type, and reckons that DS sites should have an “MG rating” (for Mountain Goat). Anyway the DS didn’t work up there either and trying to land on the lip, I bonked the nose of the light Scratcho really hard on a big rock (the place is totally littered with small boulders in the grass) and cracked it. (fixed it OK soon after). Andrew naturally floated his in perfectly, like he always does.

Anyway when we were back at the car I said to Alex that the top area would make a good F3F site, and he replied “That’s where we used to do it! When Joe Wurts was here!”

It was a long twisty drive all the way down, then all the way up the ridges on the other side of Akaroa. Soon we were high up and could see the Wainui Ridge clearly way over on the other side of the harbour. Again, just a superb breathtaking view. Sorry to be repeating the “breathtaking” theme … it is very, very spectacular and scenic. DSing aside, I’d drive out there any day to see that view.

We got close to the ridge we wanted to check out, and we all felt apprehensive. The sky was overcast, and the ridge looked really rocky and gnarly. After scouting roads on both sides of it, checking Google Maps “Hybrid view” (amazing to pull up such info on a phone) we picked a place to park and walk up. I was quickly out of the car and hiked up. It looked OK and the others soon followed with planes. Looked really scary, in between big rocky outcrops on the ridge but Alex launched the Tracer. The fatigue and tension lifted as he ripped around doing acros, saying “well, it’s working … it’s good …”. After a short scramble he landed easily down the frontside in the grass and I headed down to get a plane, video camera and radar gun.

I got the DSX together and hiked up, but saw the Tracer arcing out over the rocky outcrops much further up the ridge. Alex soon phoned to say it was better up there, so Andrew and I dragged ourselves up there. But wow, it was worth it. Instead of a craggy jagged ridge, this was very civilized … a nice rounded grassy spot. There were plenty of rocks in the grass most places, but there were some good landing spots too.

I gunned Alex at 147 and the Tracer was starting to flutter. Next the DSX. I was nervous because I knew I was tired and doing dumb things. The DSX carved big lines and wound up beautifully. In 15 minutes of flying I didn’t find any rollins, whitewash or rotors. It was NIIIICCCCE!!! As good as anything I’ve ever Dsed, but also a massive deep zone. I got it to 232mph, flying the DSX as light as it goes, with just the single joiner. It wasn’t big wind … with the gauge we read a max of 29mph, and it floated between 20 and 27 mostly.

Andrew P had a go, and flew it beautifully, breaking his PB and getting 195mph in no time. You could almost see the lights come on in his head … “Wow, these big heavy fast planes are awesome!”. I think he’s very very keen to move up quickly in the DS Fast Ship stakes … and believe me he can handle it.

My landing was silly … didn’t point it enough into the wind, thought I’d go around again then realized there wasn’t room and it landed cross-angle, really fast and flat into the grass behind the lip, neatly between 2 immoveable rocks! Super lucky.

Alex Dsed the D60. It loudly made the D60 whistle, and looked fast, but he was frustrated that the wind dropped and went a bit off angle. He got it to 188 Mph (I think?) and unfortunately had a bingle landing, cracking the fuse and fin. He felt cursed with that D60 … every flight seems to end in damage.

Andrew got the JW60 to 115mph, and later carved the Vac Bagged Scratcho to 122mph. I flew the DSX again and loved it, so much energy. The wind was definitely going off, however and I did get a couple of hits over the back and despite walking to different spots I couldn’t get over 205. But huge fun.

Ridiculously steep walk back down to the car. The site is being called Camerons Track (the road that follows it). I may not be a main site, but is a great alternative if the wind’s too north for Wainui.

We were treated to a delectable dinner at Andrew’s place, again cooked up seemingly effortlessly by the wonderful Suetonia, who had been at work all day teaching med students. What a woman. Andrew just rings up and says “I’m bringing 3 guys home in 45 minutes … how about you cook up that pasta dish with the chicken breasts…”. Alex and I chuckled that if we tried ringing our wives similarly, there would be a deathly silence from the other end of the phone, or a dial tone …!

So it’s back here to pack. I’m sad to be leaving this amazing place. I have made really special new friends, and thanks enormously to each of you guys for everything you’ve done. I have felt ridiculously spoilt. I’m sad to be leaving the land of wind and hills and snowcapped mountains always on the horizon. And I’ll miss this reporting a lot too. I wanted to get this last “action” report posted before reality sets back in, and the beauty of it all becomes a memory.

You guys who are coming in December (I don’t know if I can make it – seems unlikely) you can be sure that you’ll have a great time both flying and just being here. I’d happily live here. And I hope to be back!
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:32 AM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Mar 2012
38 Posts
Andrew i'm so pleased you got to experience what we have here and give your wonderful reports for the world to share. I'm delighted to have met you, thanks again for bringing the willow over for me and i hope you can make it back some time soon.

Rob
radacl69 is offline Find More Posts by radacl69
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:42 AM
Time to burn up some wind yo!
Palmwoods, QLD, Australia
Joined Jan 2009
1,272 Posts
andrew, congrats on the speeds today, glad to know your experience over in nz was a good one and thanks for all the reports, have a safe trip home!
AussieJarred is offline Find More Posts by AussieJarred
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:21 PM
Arrarrar!
Australia, NSW, Wagga Wagga
Joined Jan 2010
3,287 Posts
Thanks for the ride Andrew! I cant wait till my turn now!
josh18 is offline Find More Posts by josh18
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:19 PM
DS Addict
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,193 Posts
Was great having you here Andrew!

I am putting some amended speeds up on the SPeed list, What is the site name?
ALEX HEWSON is online now Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:24 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,494 Posts
Camerons Track. I'm back now, at home. I wrote up the speeds from yesterday on the plane, but haven't posted them so I'll wait to look at yours first.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 12:59 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,494 Posts
This is the video of Andrew P and me making the trip back to Tekapo a few days ago. It's about a late afternoon gnarly DS session on Wednesday, a cold overnight stay in Fairlie, and an unexpectedly light air DS session on the main ridge the next day. This video is not a must-see. You won't see any spectacular speeds or brilliantly successful new sites ... we did try some new spots, but as you'll see they weren't very successful. But it is full of adventure, good times, lucky breaks, fun light air DS and great NZ snowcapped mountain scenery.

The Andrews Return to Tekapo (18 min 26 sec)
Last edited by AvB; Oct 13, 2012 at 02:23 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 04:51 AM
Dave Pope Manawatu NZ
Palmerston North NZ
Joined Dec 2006
1,212 Posts
Awesome, awesome video, its been great to follow your trip, and it make me very keen to get there in december. bring it on, and thanks again.
pope is offline Find More Posts by pope
Old Oct 13, 2012, 05:24 AM
More like crunchman....
United Kingdom, Cheshire East
Joined Mar 2007
908 Posts
Thanks for your reports, Andrew, followed with great interest & more than a little envy.

Hope you do get to the December DS Fest, it would be great to 'live' by proxy through that too.
dsman is offline Find More Posts by dsman
Old Oct 13, 2012, 05:25 AM
Australia, NSW, Shellharbour
Joined Feb 2007
644 Posts
Great vid just one question where can I get my hands on a scratcho from and how
Much?
johno1 is online now Find More Posts by johno1
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:34 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,494 Posts
Thanks to all you guys. I wouldn't do it if I didn't know so many guys were watching. Less than 2 days after putting up the video of my first visit to Tekapo, it had 150 views. Next day 198. Wow. There are more slope/ DS nuts in the world than I thought!!

I dunno what's gonna happen with the Scratchos. I like mucking about making them, and selling off my experiments to my mates. I'm stoked that it's a good plane, and I'd like to get good moulds made, but it would be too much for me to commit to making any more than one or 2 now and then to meet orders. I'm really not sure what will happen.

I'm almost finished the last of my NZ DS Adventure videos. It's about the first visit to that new DS site yesterday. Exploring new sites is probably my favourite thing so it's a happy video despite the letdown of it being the last! I should have it up on Vimeo sometime tomorrow. Stay tuned!
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:49 AM
He who dares ... repairs!
Joined Jun 2005
676 Posts
Yeah, another cracking video, thanks Andrew vB and P.
As dsman says, hope you can make the December DS fest - wish I could!

Maybe one day you'll do a Euro or UK DS tour - though the weather here rarely plays ball. And no drive-up access to the ridges - there's some great candidate sites in the UK that few / no one's tried simply because they have a MG 9 or 10 rating!
Hobster is offline Find More Posts by Hobster