SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 25, 2014, 06:53 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleomanjim View Post
Joel, Just a quick update: You were right about the batteries being the problem. I tried out one of my sons batteries on my Sbach today and it ran fine, no issues with the motor cutting out early. Apparently all 3 of my 180mah batteries went bad at the same time! So I really appreciate your input to my earlier question about this, you saved me from possibly replacing the motor and/or esc receiver. ...thanks, Jim
You're welcome! I'm always happy to help where I can. You're gonna love the plane on good batts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddie123 View Post
how many ma's ?? from bat in 30 sec's - Thanks Ed
It was in the low teens if I remember correctly - but I didn't write down the number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbutts View Post
How much of a pain is it to swap out the motor? I have extra 3000kv's from the 200qx and some 5043's props on hand and a fancy $18 thunder power battery on the way.
I usually flew the stock and geforce 180 mah packs in the sbach and my larger packs in the Carbon Cub, but after this last page in battery talk yesterday I flew my e-flite 200mah 30c and a Lectron pro 300mah 35c in the Sbach. It did feel noticeably stronger. Looking forward to the TP pack as well.
It takes around a minute to swap the motor. There's just one screw & the motor connector. Pop the battery hatch, remove the single screw that secures the motor to the mount, slide the motor out, disconnect the motor connector, install the replacement & reconnect the power. That's it! Oh - and be sure to dynamically balance the prop.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:21 PM
USA, NH, Bow
Joined Jun 2007
368 Posts
It's a no-go on the 3000kv from the 200QX
doesn't fit in the sbach due to the mount on it.
bobbutts is online now Find More Posts by bobbutts
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:38 PM
Joined Aug 2014
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbutts View Post
It's a no-go on the 3000kv from the 200QX
doesn't fit in the sbach due to the mount on it.
Did you try the eflite 3000?

EFLUM180BLB

Works great as an upgrade in my CC- just be sure you're running it with a high C rating.

The TP 325 70c is a great one- plenty of power and lots of time in the air.
Julezwatts is offline Find More Posts by Julezwatts
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:53 PM
USA, NH, Bow
Joined Jun 2007
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julezwatts View Post
Did you try the eflite 3000?

EFLUM180BLB

Works great as an upgrade in my CC- just be sure you're running it with a high C rating.

The TP 325 70c is a great one- plenty of power and lots of time in the air.
I was hoping to use the 3000kv I had already from the 200qx I hosed "trying" agility mode by mistake. With all the stuff on hand it seemed like a no-brainer. I'm not going to pay for the upgrade at this point, I got the as3xtra and sbach this summer as my first performance "3d" planes and haven't come anywhere close to mastering them, so it's more of a (lack of) skills issue vs. need for plane upgrade at this point for me.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:07 AM
USA, NH, Bow
Joined Jun 2007
368 Posts
Got a chance to run the TP 70c and the Geforce 20c batteries back to back.
The TP had what felt like full power for an entire 7 minute pack. Feels a bit heavy and stable with the extra weight vs. what I am used to. Not much choice in pack placement as it barely fits in stock battery bay.
The Geforce felt good right away, slightly lighter and plenty of power. Then it quickly has less to give and felt sluggish by 5 minutes in. It doesn't seem to be able to keep up.
Old Today, 11:24 AM
USA, NH, Bow
Joined Jun 2007
368 Posts
Some more notes after several more flights. The TP 325 is a superior battery as far as power throughout the entire flight. It feel strong for an entire 7 minutes.
The drawback is that even placed as far back as it can go, the CG is more forward that I have been flying with the other packs I have. For going fast this feels good, but for high alpha, which I am not very good at yet with this plane, it feels harder and less stable.
Are there any great packs around the same size and weight of the stock one?
Old Today, 07:37 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,669 Posts
Yes. Try a Hyperion 240 UMX pack. They're designed to last ~300 cycles at 5c charge, they provide lots of power throughout the flight, and they're much lighter than the TP 325. For even better 3D performance, pick up one of RCBabbel's ultralight Hyp 240 BabbelBatts. They're the lightest, highest-performance UMX packs available. Also, check out his ultralight TP 325s. I can still get the pack back to the neutral-handling point with those.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member