HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 19, 2012, 10:10 PM
United States, TX, Waco
Joined Mar 2012
115 Posts
Discussion
questions about aeilrons and rolls

I have a question that Is probably simple to some of you but I am still new and learning...My question is this.
If you increase the throw of the aeilrons,, will the plane roll faster, or will it actually create more drag, and roll slower,, thanks I have a dx6i so I can adjust them all the way from 0-125% even though at 100% throw the aielron moves more than the recommended throw in the assembly book.. Thanks for the help guys,, like I said I am still learning. I can fly my planes, I just want to be doing it right..
raron455 is offline Find More Posts by raron455
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2012, 10:14 PM
"Landing" in a tree somewhere
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
Both actually, you do get more authority but it also creates more drag, overall you will still roll faster, to a point as djacobox points out. The rate at which you roll also depends on how fast you are flying as well. What plane are you flying?
Rayne is offline Find More Posts by Rayne
Old May 19, 2012, 10:14 PM
Joined Mar 2009
368 Posts
Anything past 45 degrees is mostly braking, before that you will see an increase roll speed.
djacobox372 is offline Find More Posts by djacobox372
Old May 20, 2012, 05:41 AM
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Apr 2007
1,133 Posts
As others have said, there is a limit to the amount of useful aileron throw, after which just drag will be created, and the airflow may even separate from the ailerons (similar to when a wing stalls).

The other way to increase roll rate would be to use longer ailerons (not always an option for scale planes and ARTFs). By 'longer' I mean in span, not width. That's why aerobatic types have ailerons that span almost all of the wing (e.g. Extra 300 etc.).
DeeBee1 is offline Find More Posts by DeeBee1
Old May 20, 2012, 08:05 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,698 Posts
The width helps too. That's why many 3D planes have about the rear third of the wing as ails. With the wider ails, you can get a faster roll rate with less throw. Just make sure the servos can handle the load. I put these booster tabs on some surfaces to take the load off the servos. This is on the rudder of a Flash 3D

gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old May 20, 2012, 09:37 PM
United States, TX, Waco
Joined Mar 2012
115 Posts
Thanks Guys,,, the plane is a hobbyking sbach 342 the 1400mm epo. It is my second one,, the first one I flew for a while and had an unhappy landing (this is one plane that just wants to float) that prompted another plane. I flew the first one for a little while.. I upgraded to hi-tec MG servos all around and flew with all the throws maxed out,, I just wanted to see if I was supposed to reduce the throws to attain optimal performance of the plane... Not ready for hardcore 3d yet,, I am good at knife edges, rolls,loops, etc. getting better..
raron455 is offline Find More Posts by raron455
Old May 20, 2012, 09:44 PM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
8,885 Posts
The late great Jim Kirkland once said anything more than 35 degrees just increases drag. Probably still true today with the possible exception of the so-called 3D stuff....
mrittinger is online now Find More Posts by mrittinger
Old May 21, 2012, 12:42 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,886 Posts
Ailerons and elevators lose effectiveness at low speeds as when landing. During high speed flight, you need less aileron and elevator deflection. You can use high and low rate settings to make low and high speed flight easier to control. Rudder controls remain effective at slow speeds and are used instead of ailerons to level wngs during landings and slow takeoffs with flaps. I use coupled aileron and rudder most of the time for relaxed scale model flying. You can over-ride it or switch it off when needed or desired.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged