HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 20, 2011, 12:52 PM
Roanoke Va
Joined Jan 2008
80 Posts
Question
Southern Ca. hobby shops

We're flying into San Diego this weekend and will travel to LA and Las Vegas over the week. My wife and kids will want to spend a day at a beach and I'd rather tour a few hobby shops. Are there any out there I should not miss? I'll drop them off at any beach that's close by.

Fred
fred685 is offline Find More Posts by fred685
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2011, 01:19 PM
USA, CA, Santee
Joined Jul 2002
301 Posts
The quick tour would be:
Discount Hobby Warehouse
7644 Clairemont Mesa Blvd St San Diego

Sureflight
4845 Convoy St San Diego

Hobby People
4344 Convoy St San Diego

All within a 2 mile radius of each other and not far from the beach.
S3NFO is offline Find More Posts by S3NFO
Old Apr 20, 2011, 01:24 PM
San Diego, California, United States
Joined Feb 2002
2,439 Posts
Discount hobby warehouse in SD is probably the best one around san Diego, especially for airplanes and the owner is really good guy...oh and he's into jets. its my go-to store. It's in the clairmonte mesa area. There's also a hobby people about 1 or 2 miles down the street from it too. There's also hobby central in mira mesa, but their main market is cars. Not much airplane stuff there. There's also hobbytown usa in escondido which has a decent selection of plastic models, but otherwise is just ok.
JetMang is offline Find More Posts by JetMang
Old Apr 20, 2011, 02:38 PM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMang View Post
Discount hobby warehouse in SD is probably the best one around san Diego, especially for airplanes and the owner is really good guy...oh and he's into jets. its my go-to store. It's in the clairmonte mesa area. There's also a hobby people about 1 or 2 miles down the street from it too. There's also hobby central in mira mesa, but their main market is cars. Not much airplane stuff there. There's also hobbytown usa in escondido which has a decent selection of plastic models, but otherwise is just ok.
I second that on discount hobby warehouse!
bri6672 is offline Find More Posts by bri6672
Old Apr 20, 2011, 04:20 PM
Roanoke Va
Joined Jan 2008
80 Posts
I remember Convoy Rd from when I was there in the Navy about 20 years ago. I remember the Hobby Shack, and another bigger store further down the rd. I guess that is the one you guys are talking about.

Thanks for the info.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 08:38 PM
SoCal, Year Round Flying!
Newport Beach, CA
Joined May 2002
5,745 Posts
Hobby shack went corporate and is now Hobbypeople.net with 10plus stores in cali and LV. You only need to visit one as they all basically carry the same items.
If you're coming up to LA via the 5 fwy/405, GyroHobbies.com on Lakeforest drive is excellent and of these shops I listed has the most EDF kits in stock. Ultimate Hobbies.com off the 55fwy in Tustin is good if you know what you want, the people there aren't very knowledgable with aircraft though, RobsrcHobbies.com in garden grove is my fav and also off the 405fwy. PacificCoastHobbies.com in Lomita is a pain to get to but usually has a few cool items on hand. btw all these shops are south of LAX airport.
Bruce
bmiller is offline Find More Posts by bmiller
Old Apr 22, 2011, 11:26 AM
Nam AV8TR
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Nov 2005
156 Posts
Try Nice-Twice Hobbies in Vegas. They have a museum's worth of "Pre-Owned" aircraft for sale. It's fun to just walk through...
Sugarbear36 is offline Find More Posts by Sugarbear36
Old Apr 22, 2011, 11:32 AM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,439 Posts
Hobby People has been going down hill for a while. It's more like a toy store than hobby shop now.

Ultimate Hobbies is probably the biggest hobby store in orange county. But like bmiller said the guys in there are clueless.

Robs and gyro are great, but small store compared to Ultimate.

For the biggest hobby store in southern california, if you are heading up toward inland empire area, Central Ave exit by 10 fwy you will find Pegasus hobbies. http://pegasushobbies.net
Steph280 is online now Find More Posts by Steph280
Old Apr 23, 2011, 04:51 AM
Roanoke Va
Joined Jan 2008
80 Posts
Thanks for the tips. Getting the kids out of bed in a few minutes, then of to the airport! Is it sad that I'm going cross country and wanting to visit hobby shops? Nah!
Old Apr 23, 2011, 06:37 PM
United States, MO, Warrensburg
Joined Feb 2008
2,252 Posts
I would second Gyro Hobbies, been going there all my life ever since I started in RC. When my Dad was still living in the area, he would buy parts for me there and ship them overseas to me.

I have never heard of Pegasus hobbies, next time I am in So Cal I will have to visit.
Jetnfast is offline Find More Posts by Jetnfast
Old Apr 23, 2011, 06:41 PM
United States, MO, Warrensburg
Joined Feb 2008
2,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred685 View Post
Thanks for the tips. Getting the kids out of bed in a few minutes, then of to the airport! Is it sad that I'm going cross country and wanting to visit hobby shops? Nah!
Not sad at all, I do the same, even internationally.

But you should take time to visit the beach, although the Pacific might be a little chilly this time of year.
Jetnfast is offline Find More Posts by Jetnfast
Old Apr 23, 2011, 10:47 PM
Gotta have toys!
La Jolla, CA. USA
Joined May 2006
856 Posts
Or stop by the electric field at SeaWorld for a visit and maybe some flying. It's right on the water in Misson Bay. The field is surrounded by 5 ft daisies this time of year. Beautiful, and the family will love SeaWorld.
1bwana1 is offline Find More Posts by 1bwana1