HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 07, 2010, 11:51 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,143 Posts
Discussion
Z-Poxy Finishing Resin - Do you use it?

I remembered reading that some people like to use Z-Poxy. I think some even said that is all they will ever use.

This weekend, Hobby People had a Labor Day sale and Z-Poxy was 1/3rd off the regular price so I bought a package of it.

It is two part epoxy. Looks like every other kind of epoxy I have ever bought. It has a working time of 30 minutes and a cure time of 3 hours. Sort of like West Systems.

So, I cannot see what the deal is, compared to other epoxies. Looks like epoxy, walks like epoxy, it must be epoxy!

If you use it, why do you like it? What do you find different about it compared to other epoxies?

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...sin-12-oz.html
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2010, 12:04 PM
Guard-Cadet
Canada, NS, Sydney
Joined Jul 2009
472 Posts
I used their laminating resin, its really soft. It flex's and the surface never really hardened. I'll never use it for layup again. or for finish coating.

http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/c...t=MVI_0680.flv

That being said I have never used it for anything else or used any of their other products.

Cheers,
Cadmunkey is offline Find More Posts by Cadmunkey
Old Sep 07, 2010, 12:21 PM
North Central TN USA
Joined May 2006
3,574 Posts
I've used it for sealing inside hulls, even thinned out a bit, with no problem.
420TEE is online now Find More Posts by 420TEE
Old Sep 07, 2010, 12:33 PM
3 Blades to the Wind
Atascadero, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
4,085 Posts
Is it measured by weight or volume? I've found inconsistent results with epoxy (any of them) when the mix ratio is done by the wrong measuring method. Screwed up a few things this way.
Shaun Hendricks is offline Find More Posts by Shaun Hendricks
Old Sep 07, 2010, 12:53 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadmunkey View Post
I used their laminating resin, its really soft. It flex's and the surface never really hardened. I'll never use it for layup again. or for finish coating.

http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/c...t=MVI_0680.flv

That being said I have never used it for anything else or used any of their other products.

Cheers,
That stuff is like rubber.
green-boat is offline Find More Posts by green-boat
Old Sep 07, 2010, 01:05 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,393 Posts
I used it a few times when I needed it NOW (the hobby shop was open and the marine supply store with West wasn't)... It worked fine, no different than West for my application.

For both, I turn a room heater/fan on the hull, and the resin is hard enough to sand within an hour.
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Sep 07, 2010, 01:15 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,439 Posts
I use it, and like it cause it doesn't stink up the house.
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Old Sep 07, 2010, 01:28 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Dec 2009
432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 420TEE View Post
I've used it for sealing inside hulls, even thinned out a bit, with no problem.
Absolutely, easy to apply and it dries quickly. I use it to install or reinforce engine mounts and/or anything else you want to stay in one place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoghappy View Post
I use it, and like it cause it doesn't stink up the house.
I agree, almost no order so it can be used in the house if necessary.
thomaslambo is offline Find More Posts by thomaslambo
Old Sep 07, 2010, 01:43 PM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,076 Posts
I use it all the time. Great for laying down fiberglass cloth, laminating ply together and as waterproof topcoat on wood. Good working time & sands smooth, although it may take a couple of coats. No need to thin because for a two part epoxy it levels out very nice, on a warm day.

woodybob is offline Find More Posts by woodybob
Old Sep 07, 2010, 02:22 PM
Chula Vista, Ca.
Joined May 2006
311 Posts
I use it a lot....love it. Easy to work with, good working time, no smell.
mrbassman is offline Find More Posts by mrbassman
Old Sep 07, 2010, 02:37 PM
Canada, ON, Peterborough
Joined Nov 2009
543 Posts
I was using their line of epoxy from the hobby shop, then found System 3 at a local lumber yard, the 5 minute, 1 hour and finishing resins all smell, sand and cure the same as the Zpoxy but I can get 750ml bottles for the same cost as 350ml bottles of Zpoxy from the hobby shop.
I wonder how many chemical companies are actually making epoxy? Most of these places must just be branding and bottling a big manufacturers.
I know its not West Systems because of the different mixing ratio.
The dogs also are not as interested in epoxy as the pot of hide glue!
I smell dead things!
siberianhusky is offline Find More Posts by siberianhusky
Old Sep 07, 2010, 03:42 PM
Joined May 2006
911 Posts
Great finish resin!!!

An that's just what It Is...I use It Tom. To seal the Inside wood hull's with It.I don't thin It,but leave It full strength.I have seen people try an use It.For A lay up!!!LOL...You see what It does In the video Cadmunkey posted....It stays flexible.So for lay up for a thin fiberglass to wood .On the outside of say a mahogany chris craft.It Is very good, an will not crack.Then I see people say.I use It for laying In a carbon fiber. To a glass hull for strength!!!!LOL...Wrong It does no good but actually makes it less strong.If you read the bottle!!!It's a polyamide resin.There for It eats Into a lay-up resin that's top coat does not harden.Also very last print on the bottom of the bottle....Caution Is not compatible with a polyester resin!!!! Also an have personally seen It.Delaminate off polyester fiberglass.Just like a bad plywood lam.So Everything you mount on top.Say the carbon fiber, or other glass matting or chopped fiber!!!Is all loose over time........
mxz70017 is offline Find More Posts by mxz70017
Last edited by mxz70017; Sep 07, 2010 at 03:53 PM.
Old Sep 07, 2010, 06:13 PM
North Central TN USA
Joined May 2006
3,574 Posts
I've never had a problem with it not hardening. A nice warm sunny day helps, but even in my less than warm winter shop it does, slowly. As to measuring the two parts people go to great lenghts, scales etc., which IMHO is a waste of time. I lay down two lines of more or less equal lenghts, or if I need a lot I just mentally time how long each component runs into the cup then check the level of each left in the bottle, mix well and viola, never had a problem. I just used some that's been siting on the shelf opened for at least two years and it worked fine.
I thin it simply because I find it easier to spread and get into corners.
420TEE is online now Find More Posts by 420TEE
Old Sep 07, 2010, 06:17 PM
Joined Jun 2008
731 Posts
I love the stuff,when mixed right it's light,dries super smooth.....like glass(not fiberglass)
One box,2 bottles can coat a 30" lobsterboat atleast 3 times.
It's not as messy as fiberglass and the odor is lower
redlined_b16a is offline Find More Posts by redlined_b16a
Old Sep 07, 2010, 06:36 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,727 Posts
I have been using Z-Poxy for quite some time on all my builds, especially the mahogany speed boats. I have used it as a penetrating resin by thinning it out with Xylene for the interiors of the hulls as well as the first coat over the stained hull to lock in the color. there is no smell with this resin and when dry, sands very well for finish. I even spell it out what the procedure is that I use for finishing my models in the instruction of the Legend Model Kits.

I gave up using the polyester resins because of the smell when working in the basement. I still do use the polyester resin when I can work outside because it cheaper in cost and I can get more coats on the build up in the same time period as what one coat of the epoxy takes.

By the way, all the epoxies on the market do have slightly different formulas for their make up. I have never tried mixing different epoxies and would recemond that you stick with one epoxy brand per build.

The good thing about epoxy over polyester is that it can take a bump with out cracking unlike polyester.

Hope that helps Tom.

frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg