HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 31, 2004, 03:59 PM
gainesville FL
Joined Jan 2002
1,392 Posts
BMJR Fast Freddie III

Hey guys,
I'm about to start a thread on building and flying the BMJR Fast Freddie III.
In case you have never heard of it, it looks like a Todd Long Tiny, or Tiny X.
It was originally designed by Carl Martin (a regular here on the ezone). I read about it on this forum but never got a chance to get hold of any of the first set of kits or plans. I read about it again recently in a Magazine called Fly RC and was thrilled to see that they were offering free plans! I never got around to building from the free plans but eventually got a laser cut kit from

BMJR Model Products
Sharpes, FL 3259-1210
www.bmjrmodels.com

who were also mentioned in the same magazine article and on the free plans.

the specs of this model are:
23.5" span
202 sq. in

I plan to power it using a dx-a & 10x4.7 gws prop
2x 340mah lipoly batteries

I plan to build it stock, exactly like the directions tell me to.

Oh and anyone who has built one of these kits...or has a nice pic of a built one....please post pics....I'd love to get some ideas for my covering scheme.
guyaneze is offline Find More Posts by guyaneze
Last edited by guyaneze; May 31, 2004 at 04:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2004, 04:12 PM
gainesville FL
Joined Jan 2002
1,392 Posts
this is what you get in the BMJR Fast Freddie III Kit

woops....I think I only have 2 "I"s there in the intro...will try to correct that..

you get lots of hardware...
carbon fiber or fiber glass for landing gear
wheels (two main and two tail wheels...hey an extra tail wheel...one more kit and I'll have a set of wheels for my windbuster!)
control horns
thread (stuff to make a pull/pull system and to tie the landing gear to fuse/fuse to wing)
hinges
heatshrink tubing
velcro
screws and rubber bands...and who knows what else....I'm sure its more than enough to build the model.

I was really impressed by the carbon fiber fuse tube, its the wrapped really light stuff that sez "avia sport g-force "breeze" II" on it.

You of course get the laser cut parts, some sticks and a nice full color instruction booklet.
I ordered my kit from the BMJR web site and it appeared at my house next day. I think the kit beat the emailed order confirmation...

oh yeah...you also get full sized plans
I did the math....
I think whats in the kit is worth the $47.50 plus shipping that BMJR asks...
Last edited by guyaneze; May 31, 2004 at 04:16 PM.
Old May 31, 2004, 04:24 PM
gainesville FL
Joined Jan 2002
1,392 Posts
BMJR fast freddie kit

I was a bit surprised that they mailed the kit to me in the kit box...
as opposed to kit box in shipping box...
but the parts are so light...all that was required was some paper or popcorn to keep things from moving around...and everything was ok when i opened the box...
Old May 31, 2004, 04:31 PM
gainesville FL
Joined Jan 2002
1,392 Posts
Fast Freddie III Laser cut Parts

Some folx might be interested at looking at the laser cut components of the kit.
One thing you might notice is that there are no numbers burned into the parts...you have to write them on there yourself if you're like me and like each part having its ID number just in case it falls off the building table.

I was hoping there would be more laser cut parts...for example the tail areas are going to be built up from 3/32 sticks and if they were laser cut I think that would have helped speed up construction a bit.
Old May 31, 2004, 04:37 PM
gainesville FL
Joined Jan 2002
1,392 Posts
Marl Fast Freddie parts

I took the time to mark all the parts....There is a detailed part list in the manual...lose that and you might be stuck...you might not want to use a bright red permanent marker...
Old May 31, 2004, 04:42 PM
gainesville FL
Joined Jan 2002
1,392 Posts
Fast Freddie III manual

Just in case you want to see what the full color building instructions look like...here you go...gotta say i was impressed by BMJR in this area...
Old May 31, 2004, 04:55 PM
gainesville FL
Joined Jan 2002
1,392 Posts
Fast Freddie III hardware

here is a pic of the contents of the little hardware bag that comes with the kit.
Old May 31, 2004, 05:05 PM
gainesville FL
Joined Jan 2002
1,392 Posts
Fast Freddie III ribs

Fast freddie has some fairly complex ribs..they are very thick for a plane this size too (3/32 as opposed to 1/16 on the tiny)....I'm hoping this means they are stronger somehow....
Old May 31, 2004, 05:18 PM
gainesville FL
Joined Jan 2002
1,392 Posts
Fast Freddie III Wing

I built the wing fairly quickly
it was mostly straightforward and self jigging except for the cutting of a bevel shaped groove in the wing tips....so thats where my biggest flaws are right now...the front curve where the wing tip meets the leading edge....someone else said they sanded the back of the leading edge flat instead...
Old May 31, 2004, 05:26 PM
gainesville FL
Joined Jan 2002
1,392 Posts
Fast Freddie Tail Surfaces & Ailerons

The tail pieces and ailerons have very similar construction methods...
If I had to describe the fast freddie in terms of laser cut technology...I would say this plane was designed in the transition phase...where some of the plane's design takes advantage of laser cut...but some parts of it ignores laser cutting technology alltogether....all of the aileron/tail surface could have used some of the new interlocking techniques used by aerolock models, stephens aero or mountain models to help those of us who aren't good at stick type construction.
So while I whipped out the ribs and wing in about an hour or less...These next few photos was the result of a nights work....taking breaks to watch tv or eat snacks..or dream of building other planes...other folx might claim this was the easy part.
Last edited by guyaneze; May 31, 2004 at 05:30 PM.
Old Sep 02, 2005, 01:55 PM
Joined Feb 2005
8 Posts
fast freddie plans

I loaned my magazine with the fast freddie plans to a friend which he promptly lost**&%^#!!!!

Does any one have the plan scanned...pdf...???

I like to scratch build.
Wild Man is offline Find More Posts by Wild Man