HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 28, 2013, 02:27 AM
United States, CA, Auburn
Joined Oct 2010
391 Posts
New Product
The "Secret" F3F/B prototype by Steve Situm

I wanted to share a new design by Steve Situm that he is working on getting into production from a Chinese manufacture called the Marin. One of the design goals was to to have the plane very easy to fly with a reduced work load while still being very nimble and aerobatic, and of course fast. The wing is big at 125". The airfoils are Steve's and are more slippery than grippy.

Steve recieved a set of wings a while back that were lost in crash and couple months ago he recieved a complete airframe from the manufacture. The fuse and tails have some teething issues that need to be worked out but the wings were very nice. The mold work and finish are excellent! I happend to have a Radical fuse and tails from my #2 Radical in need of a set of wings. The Radical/FS tails are the correct size so we decided to put the wings on it and get some thing flying. We maidened it a couple weeks ago in 5-7 mph winds just enough to get it trimmed.

This afternoon we met at the SLoT near Benicia to give it a good work out. It was blowing about 30 and lightened up as the day went on. I dialed in the CG and a few settings and WOW what an incredible aircraft. It flys like it's on rails, turns HARD and is as fast as anything. As the afternoon went on some thermals cycled through and the air got bad and turbulant. The Marin cuts through it unlike anything I've ever flown. The pilot work load is just nothing. No pucker factor at all, ever. The plane rolls great and is very nimble. Easily more nimble than my Radical (and I love the Radical). Steve was flying his Pike Precision and in anything but the lightest conditions the Marin seems to turn just as hard as the Precision. This thing is going to be a really great F3F ship.

At the end of the day I asked Steve if he thought it needed any more changes. His comment was, "That airplane looks really happy". As was the pilot.
Thanks, Steve!
Shawn in NorCal is offline Find More Posts by Shawn in NorCal
Last edited by Shawn in NorCal; Jun 23, 2014 at 03:02 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 28, 2013, 10:08 AM
United States, CA, San Marcos
Joined Jan 2008
1,149 Posts
That is very cool!
David Cortina is offline Find More Posts by David Cortina
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 28, 2013, 10:09 AM
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Aug 2004
1,874 Posts
That is way cool. WD
concreteman is offline Find More Posts by concreteman
Old Mar 28, 2013, 10:11 AM
United States, CA, San Marcos
Joined Jan 2008
1,149 Posts
I beat you to the cool comment
David Cortina is offline Find More Posts by David Cortina
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 28, 2013, 10:27 AM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,528 Posts
Sweet!
djklein21 is online now Find More Posts by djklein21
Old Mar 28, 2013, 01:13 PM
USA, CA, Seal Beach
Joined Aug 2010
233 Posts
looking good Steve
lblife is online now Find More Posts by lblife
Old Mar 29, 2013, 01:26 AM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Sep 2008
2,511 Posts
Steve sounds like he is a cool guy . . :-)
AlpineDSacro is offline Find More Posts by AlpineDSacro
Old Mar 29, 2013, 02:38 AM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,917 Posts
Steve, dude! Nice.

M
FLY F3B is offline Find More Posts by FLY F3B
Old Mar 29, 2013, 08:24 AM
Volare!
San Franciso Bay Area
Joined Dec 2005
253 Posts
Awesome Steve! Cool to see the writeup...the fruits of our labor are coming to life.

Thanks too goes to our friends in China: Frank and his team at Flying Eagle Models.

We're almost there guys!

Looking forward to maidening my own Marin.
Matt Galland is offline Find More Posts by Matt Galland
Old Mar 29, 2013, 01:18 PM
Joined Oct 2010
391 Posts
Steve and I would like to get over to coast to show it to you guys, when I get a chance I will but I live a long long ways from there. Our next race at the SLoT is on the 21st. Any one who can fly Mode 1 is welcome to a turn on the sticks after the race, (yea, I'm a goofy Mode 1 pilot).

I think the the best way I can describe the way it flys is it has the smoothness and tracking of a F3B/F plane at full MOM race weight while being more nimble than my Radicals at 75oz. With great straight line speed and it's a killer in the turns, how hard it turns was a real surprise! It's just a real pleasure to fly. This is a plane that racers and sport pilots will both love. I had so much fun flying it the other night I can't wait to get it out again!
Last edited by Shawn in NorCal; Mar 29, 2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 08:36 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
3,190 Posts
So how do we buy one, or is this a personal project. Ian
bluffman is offline Find More Posts by bluffman
Old Mar 29, 2013, 10:45 PM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Sep 2008
2,511 Posts
Will they be available for sale ?
AlpineDSacro is offline Find More Posts by AlpineDSacro
Old Mar 29, 2013, 11:12 PM
MCS / NCSS / SVSS / LSC / SAM
United States, CA, Santa Rosa
Joined Jun 2010
1,960 Posts
Steve, if there is a list put me on it for 2. If not, Shawn, how much for the prototype? I hate you!
David Olson is offline Find More Posts by David Olson
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 30, 2013, 12:45 AM
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Feb 2002
95 Posts
Secret (0 min 57 sec)
Steve Situm is offline Find More Posts by Steve Situm
Last edited by Steve Situm; May 08, 2014 at 01:42 AM.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 12:47 AM
Joined Oct 2010
391 Posts
Yes, Steve is planning on making these available. I know he would like them to be availabe soon, but getting a new product on the market takes time. I won't even guess on a time frame. When Steve knows more he will let us know.

For all you who don't know our hill, on the video 30mph and crossing is nothing but turbulance and zero energy. What your seeing is around 65second rough air. Any other plane would have been bouncing around quite a bit. The plane flying smooth is in Steve's design, not my great flying ability.

Dave,
Last edited by Shawn in NorCal; Mar 31, 2013 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Spelling